iPhone 5 case has scratched my iPhone 5s

ScottyBoy_22

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

I have a Space Grey 16gb.

I was on Holiday in Florida for 2 and a half weeks with the other half and her family. (Disney).

Bought a really nice looking retro Mickey Mouse case for nearly $40 dollars. Only to discover some scratches when taking it off a few days later for a clean.

The scratches are like little dots and are on the two shiny black panels at the top and bottom of the rear side.

It infuriated me, as I bought the case to protect my phone, not scratch it. All they would do is refund me for the case.

The case was defo at fault, as I inspected it afterwards and saw little plastic bumps (poor finish) which lined up perfectly with the dot-scratches.

Basically, it's driving my OCD crazy knowing that it has ugly scratches on the back.

Are there any replacement shiny black panels for the 5s? Any suggestions as to how I can get it fixed/replaced? (The panels, not the phone)

Thanks.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Getting them replaced? I don't know.
Do you have Apple Care Plus? You could go that route and make a damage claim.

#Naked Tuesday

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Apple doesn't do anything against cosmetic damage.

Only thing I can suggest is search online for 5s housing if someone on here can't tell you where to go. Also send Detroitborg on YouTube a message or tweet on twitter asking where he got all of his back panels. Maybe he'll be willing to answer and tell you.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Getting them replaced? I don't know.
Do you have Apple Care Plus? You could go that route and make a damage claim.

#Naked Tuesday

Apple doesn't do anything against cosmetic damage.

Yes they do... with the right coverage. Apple will replace the device for the $79 incident fee if the OP has the AppleCare PLUS. The basic AppleCare warranty won’t cover it because it is cosmetic... but with AC+, Apple will replace your device for $79 for any reason - even just because you asked.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If it was truly the fault of the case, I would contact the maker of the case itself...I doubt that Apple would cover a warranty claim based on damage from a case that was not their own.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If it was truly the fault of the case, I would contact the maker of the case itself...I doubt that Apple would cover a warranty claim based on damage from a case that was not their own.

That's what I was saying.

Yes they do... with the right coverage. Apple will replace the device for the $79 incident fee if the OP has the AppleCare PLUS. The basic AppleCare warranty won?t cover it because it is cosmetic... but with AC+, Apple will replace your device for $79 for any reason - even just because you asked.

Hmm I don't remember reading that when a mod posted about AppleCare+. I thought it said no for cosmetic.

Well good luck

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple Care + covers ANYTHING (pretty much, as long as you still have the device).

Apple Care (what comes with the phone for 1 year, and is no longer offered for sale) does not.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming the OP could make a claim if he had AC+. If it's denied is another matter. You get two incidents with AC plus. So one should choose wisely what they are going to make a claim on.
But the OP said the scratches were really bugging him so making a claim might be worth it to him.
I wouldn't go in saying my case scratched the phone. I would say I dropped it or something.

#Naked Tuesday

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You get a year's worth of standard Apple Care with the purchase of any new iPhone. Unfortunately, that standard plan will not cover cosmetic blemishes that were not manufacturer defects. Again, I would suggest you contact the maker of the case if it truly caused the damage itself...if that is the case, it is probably not the first time.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey, forget that! If you have AppleCare+ then take off any screen protector and case that you have and carry the phone naked. If you smash the screen, take it for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually AppleCare+ does not cover cosmetic damage. In reality apple may replace it for you anyway, but the AppleCare+ terms and conditions specifically state (section 4.2(v)) "The Plan does not apply to cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and dents that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment." And (section 4.2(vii)) "The Plan does not apply to defects caused by normal wear and tear or which is otherwise due to normal aging of the product".

This is very true. And from a technical stand point you are absolutely right...but I doubt Apple is going to deny a person who comes in to replace the device as long as they pay their deductible.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys.

I have a Space Grey 16gb.

I was on Holiday in Florida for 2 and a half weeks with the other half and her family. (Disney).

Bought a really nice looking retro Mickey Mouse case for nearly $40 dollars. Only to discover some scratches when taking it off a few days later for a clean.

The scratches are like little dots and are on the two shiny black panels at the top and bottom of the rear side.

It infuriated me, as I bought the case to protect my phone, not scratch it. All they would do is refund me for the case.

The case was defo at fault, as I inspected it afterwards and saw little plastic bumps (poor finish) which lined up perfectly with the dot-scratches.

Basically, it's driving my OCD crazy knowing that it has ugly scratches on the back.

Are there any replacement shiny black panels for the 5s? Any suggestions as to how I can get it fixed/replaced? (The panels, not the phone)

Thanks.

Most of those cases are garbage. The only true case that I have used that has not marked my phone is the Lifeproof.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Plenty of folks have made a claim for less.

#Naked Tuesday

I am sure they have and it seems like a stupid reason. Any Genius that would replace an iPhone due to small, probably unnoticeable to anyone else besides the user, scratches on the chamfered edges is questionable. Especially when the terms and conditions say they don't cover such things.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sure they have and it seems like a stupid reason. Any Genius that would replace an iPhone due to small, probably unnoticeable to anyone else besides the user, scratches on the chamfered edges is questionable. Especially when the terms and conditions say they don't cover such things.

There are folks all over this forum that got "hooked up" by a Genius for this or that. I got hooked 6 years ago by a Genius. Got the first Mac Book Pro when I should have gotten a refurb G4 Power Book. Manager kinda chewed him out but hey.....

The OP said the scratches bothered his OCD can't hurt to take it in and see what happens. I took my iPad in for a dent that I caused and didn't get hooked up and some folks on here have. All in all the OP said he doesn't have AC plus. But if he wants to try and remedy his scratch issue I say go for it.

#Naked Tuesday

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2