Question for people who own and use an Otterbox Defender on their iPhone 5

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I thing I have an addiction to trying new cases for my black iPhone 5, a few days ago I went and purchased an Otterbox Commuter case, but after a day I just did not care for it too much, so yesterday I returned it to the Verizon store and purchased an Otterbox Defender case since I know a few people that have them, which I really do like the feel of it in the hand, and seems like a really nice case, even though I do not really do ANYTHING risky with my phone.

I have read a few negative comments on Amazon that said the Defender case scratches up the iPhone 5 when inside it, without dropping or anything happening to it. I am thinking maybe some of these comments were from people that may have gotten counterfeit cases possibly on Amazon? Just to ease my anxiety, because I currently have a phone with no scratches or scuffs, my question is for people that own an iPhone 5 and keep it in an Otterbox Defender case, when you take it out to clean it have you noticed any scratches or scuffs that were caused by the case??

Thank you soo much in advance, I really rely on the imore forum to help me with all my questions and needs with my iPhone5, everyone on here is so knowledgeable and I trust the forums and posts here!

RescueEMT911

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
They prob had a knock off I had a had a black one since release and use it off and on without issue .. No scratches only thing is I get dust in the ports but that's mostly just from my pocket lol ... I would say use it and enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There is really going to be only one way to find the info you want and that is just it yourself. I have many friends that have the same combo you have now and they have been trouble free so don't worry about it and minimize the times you take your phone in and out of the case as well.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I really do prefer my phone out of case, but I have and have owned quite a few otterbox defender cases for phones and tablets. And never an issue.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine from the AT&T store on launch day. It did leave a few scuff marks, mostly on the sides I think, but not really anything I couldn't buff out.

I'm using an OB Armor now and I'm pretty sure it's going to leave a couple lines all across the back of the phone.

Ultimately it's going to be in a case so it doesn't matter much to me what it looks like and I know it'll still be in better than average shape when I go to sell it.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of OB products and won't use anything else.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I love the feel of my otter box. I did do one thing that a lit of folks have done. I removed the built in screen protector and put a finger print free and smudge free regular screen protector on the phone and then in the case. Works great for me and no problem with dust getting inside and no need to take it in and out of the case. I think you will like it

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much to everyone for the reply's!! I had one more quick question, has anyone who uses this case notice that it did any damage to the screen on the phone? Reason I am asking is I took the phone out of the case tonight just to check it out, and I did notice slight indentation marks around the earpiece on my stick on screen protector.. The screen looks and responds ok having the Defender screen protector on, and the stick on screen protector which I always have on from Verizon.. my question is though has anyone noticed any bad damage done to their phone on the screen around the earpiece or home button? And does anyone else use the Defender case with an additional screen protector on their phone? I mean it shouldn't do any damage having that extra screen protector protecting my screen right? Sorry to all.. I am soo OCD and Worrisome sometimes it even makes me sick!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Only thing u will notice is a mark from the case around ear piece and that's just dirt or dust and can be wiped clean
Not sure about two screen protectors I would think it could mess with the touch a little as far as sensitivity goes but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I got an iPhone that was in an otterbox since new. The screen is scratched when I took the case off.

Where did you notice the scratches? Around the earpiece or on the actual screen itself? I guess maybe it is a good idea having the two screen protectors on I guess.. I really don't notice too much of a loss in sensitivity

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've used an Otterbox Defender on every iPhone I've ever had, and not a single scuff or scratch has ever happened on any of them.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

pearlyrob

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Where did you notice the scratches? Around the earpiece or on the actual screen itself? I guess maybe it is a good idea having the two screen protectors on I guess.. I really don't notice too much of a loss in sensitivity

Yea around the ear piece and a horizontal line just above the home button.

micahjbrooks1991

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I used to have the otterbox defender, and although it never scratched the phone, the thing is so annoyingly bulky. Idk why slimmer cases out there that provide the same amount of protection don't get as much hype. I switched to the shocksuit from body glove mobile and I haven't had any complaints

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner