Iphone 5 Lifeproof Case

dcs930

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
New to iMore, so bear with me if this is a repeated thread!

Upgraded to Iphone 5 two weeks ago, with it I purchased the Lifeproof case. So far, I hate the case. Although it makes the phone safe, it is not user friendly! I find that the TPU screen on the Lifeproof case is not as tight (especially closer to the bottom of the screen) as it should be to the case itself, so I mistype often and have to apply more than normal pressure to my home button. You can visually look at my screen (with the case on) and see that the TPU screen is wavy.

Should the TPU on the case be uneven and bubbled to create such a gap between it and the phone screen?
Is this the flaw of Lifeproof or did I get a defective case?:confused:

Thx!
Dcs

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
No it's normal.

With any water proof type case, these effects are normal.

If you look inside the case there is a build up around the camera area as well as the home button. These were put in place for a reason.

dobermansrule

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a LifeProof case too and mine is the same way. I also noticed that when the screen is really bright, the whole screen looks grainy and like it has the rainbow effect over all of it. I think that that is the way they designed them cause that is how they are made...

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Do a little more research and see if yours comes from the first few batches. I bought a Life Proof the day they were released for the iPhone 5 and had issues from day one. I wrote and voiced my concerns to Life Proof and they sent me a replacement.

I'm assuming the replacement was from later batches which addressed a lot of user complaints. The difference is night and day.

While it's not a perfect case, it's much more useable and practical for me.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine did the same thing> i could not stand it so I took it back and got a refund. What I ended up doing was getting the ottebox defender and ripping out the built in screen protector and put a anti glare , anti fingerprint screen protector right on the phone and then put it in the otter box. Best thing I ever did. Of course I don't need waterproof or anything but man its slick as can be and works great.

Schufly

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
To you people with Lifeproof cases, how is the call and sound quality? Any complaints from people on the other end of your calls? Still have that muffled effect? I had one for my 4 and took it back because no one could hear me. Thanks!

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
i work at apple and I have people all the time saying they hate the life proof case and are in apple looking for a new case. seriously from what I have seen 7/10 people Hate Lifeproof after buying it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a lifeproof fre case and love it. The first batch wasn't great and lifeproof replaced it. I know many people with the case as well and they don't have any issues. The sound quality on calls is fine. It's the only case I will use. That being said not every case is for everyone.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I had one on my for 4s*. I know exactly what you're talking about, however you won't find a better waterproof case that looks slim and sleek on the market.

I won't buy one for my five now though. I'd like my OtterBox better

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You need to send it back intil you get a good one mine is perfect no pillow effect or sound quality issue. Not even the screen staying on when put to the ear

If you searched the forum you would also find that the wAy you install it plays a big part on the way it fits

Life proof saved my iPhone 5 from a bad Motorcycle accident and still going strong so please don't trash a good product because you didn't take the time to get it right

Sent from my iPhone 5

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
P.S.
I was the winner of the 219.00 dollar black-op case here on imore and as well build and cool as it is I Love my Lifeproof so my new case has become a decoration on my shelf

I wouldn't knock the Ottobox but held one and the feel of the Lifeproof can't be beat its like a flack jacket for the iPhone the Ottobox is more like a bunker

Sent from my iPhone 5

lbros360

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I just got the lifeproof fre for my iphone in red. I have one of updated versions of the case. I have absolutely no sound and pillow effect. I did have oil slick marks but I quickly fixed that with the baby powder trick. I am very happy with the case!

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Ditched my Lifeproof for my 5. Had it on my 4S and no problem of any kind. Had it replaced 4 times and they keep sending the same type of crap. Sound is way low and calls are so muffled on the end of the person I'm talking to, I'm always having to repeat. Went back to Otterbox. Not water proof but satisfactory for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schufly

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
You need to send it back intil you get a good one mine is perfect no pillow effect or sound quality issue. Not even the screen staying on when put to the ear

If you searched the forum you would also find that the wAy you install it plays a big part on the way it fits

Life proof saved my iPhone 5 from a bad Motorcycle accident and still going strong so please don't trash a good product because you didn't take the time to get it right

Sent from my iPhone 5

Please don't think I was trashing Lifeproof, that wasn't my intention. I was just asking for people's experiences to compare them with what I had experienced in the past. In the older models, even if you followed the instructions and tips, there were still issues, and that's a fact. I am leaning twords getting a fre, especially since I work around water most every day.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Please don't think I was trashing Lifeproof, that wasn't my intention. I was just asking for people's experiences to compare them with what I had experienced in the past. In the older models, even if you followed the instructions and tips, there were still issues, and that's a fact. I am leaning twords getting a fre, especially since I work around water most every day.

Sorry it wasn't directed at you I just want people to give this case a chance

Sent from my iPhone 5

KJowers

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I love my Lifeproof case for my 5. Had one for the 4S and I have had a few issues, but their customer service and warranty replacement is FANTASTIC. Hoping it remains the same since I've read somewhere that Otterbox bought them? I also have an otterbox for the 5 and I like it's build as well, but the COMPLETE protection of the Lifeproof keeps drawing me in. Plus taking underwater pictures is a great perk. As is watching the faces and hearing the screams of terror from others at the pool when my daughter jumps in with my iPhone 5 or throws it into the pool to me are funny.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the LifeProof Fre and I really like it. I had to geta replacement and the new one is very good. I can't wait for the new LifeProof NUUD to come out. It has no plactic screen protector. Still water proof. Check it out on their web site.

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Fre from lifeproof - and ended up returning it for replacements 3 times - due to the sound issues. Ended up just getting a refund. I was frustrated on having to wait each time for shipping, etc. To make a long story short - my daughter purchased a Fre from Walmart a week ago and had NO ISSUES at all. Her case had a "rubber" like strip inside (none of the cases I had received had this) and there are no sound issues. I went to Walmart and bought one. PERFECT. no sound issues. No screen issues. Had the rainbow effect but cleaned it real good and it went away. I was going to try the baby powder or put an anti glare screen protector on it next if cleaning it didn't work but there was no need. (Some of the "tips" i read about) There is no issue with the screen and typing either.
I would return the one you have and keep at it until you get one that's perfect. Yes, a hassle but well worth it in the long run.
😊

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Do a little more research and see if yours comes from the first few batches. I bought a Life Proof the day they were released for the iPhone 5 and had issues from day one. I wrote and voiced my concerns to Life Proof and they sent me a replacement.

I'm assuming the replacement was from later batches which addressed a lot of user complaints. The difference is night and day.

While it's not a perfect case, it's much more useable and practical for me.

I didn't know that. Time to get a replacement. I have the same issues as the OP.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner