Otterbox acquiring Life Proof

2k1

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I would stick with life proof every otter box I ever got messed up the phone. But agree naked Is better :)

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Love my LifeProof. Only good things could come from such a partnership I think.

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox acquiring Life Proof (Rumor)

Interesting news. I can't stand the Lifeproof cases, but I can see how Otterbox could integrate some of their technology to make the Otterbox even better than it is now. I love my Otterbox and have used one on every phone I've had since they came out. Hopefully they won't change the design too much from what we have.

Ideally, they would stick to the current categories they have now. Keep the Defender for extreme shocks and the Lifeproof style for water protection. Them they could merge the Armor series with the Lifeproof to make a super protection case.

I just don't see bringing waterproofing to the Defender series while maintaining the slim and sleek profile. The Lifeproof cases are too slim and don't provide much drop and shock protection.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Interesting news. I can't stand the Lifeproof cases, but I can see how Otterbox could integrate some of their technology to make the Otterbox even better than it is now. I love my Otterbox and have used one on every phone I've had since they came out. Hopefully they won't change the design too much from what we have.

Ideally, they would stick to the current categories they have now. Keep the Defender for extreme shocks and the Lifeproof style for water protection. Them they could merge the Armor series with the Lifeproof to make a super protection case.

I just don't see bringing waterproofing to the Defender series while maintaining the slim and sleek profile. The Lifeproof cases are too slim and don't provide much drop and shock protection.

I hope they don't mess with the thinness of the case. I love my lifeproof and it has fallen many times without incident. My guess is if otter was so happy with their armor case they wouldn't have purchased lifeproof in the first place.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I hope they don't mess with the thinness of the case. I love my lifeproof and it has fallen many times without incident. My guess is if otter was so happy with their armor case they wouldn't have purchased lifeproof in the first place.

I think that is the reason they bought it. To combine the Armor and the Lifeproof. That's the only thing that really makes sense, unless they wanted to go and screw up some already perfect cases.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think that is the reason they bought it. To combine the Armor and the Lifeproof. That's the only thing that really makes sense, unless they wanted to go and screw up some already perfect cases.

IMO they bought it because lifeproof did something they couldn't. Develop a sleek case with amazing protection that oh yeah just happens to be waterproof.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
IMO they bought it because lifeproof did something they couldn't. Develop a sleek case with amazing protection that oh yeah just happens to be waterproof.

We will have to disagree on the protection part. I agree totally about the waterproof part. I have personally broken an iPhone in a Lifeproof dropping it from 2 feet and know many friends that have, too. I've dropped my iPhone in a Defender down stairs and from 8-10 feet and its never broken. It all depends on the user and what they want/need. I would like to see the protection of the Armor combined with the Lifeproof's water abilities. At the same time, I hope they would keep the Defender and the standard Lifeproof lines for people that wanted them as is.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I love LifeProof and Otterbox, I have a LifeProof and an Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 5. I just hope that they leave LifeProof products alone for the most part, maybe help with sturdier build quality so there are less problem cases but that's about it. I'm also hoping that LifeProof can help Otterbox out with their Armor case and help make it less bulky and have superior water protections. Lose the clamps Otterbox, lose the clamps.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they can both figure out how to make a silicone outside that doesn't stretch if you take it on and off like the silicone on the Otterbox does. I dock my phone when I'm doing housework so I can listen to music. After a couple times taking the OB silicone layer off, it's stretched so bad I can't use it.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I think that with Otterbox and LifeProof combined were gonna see a unstoppable company. It may take a little for them to settle but I'm tipping amazing things are in the works.

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Otterbox uploaded new photos to their Facebook page, looks like the Armor case is the new LifeProof, it is drastically slimmed down like the LifeProof. Hard to see because the cases are only in the background.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Never mind. saw the Twitter post on it and it had a close up of the Armor, still way too bulky and still has metal clasps.