You know, I like LifeProof but really!?

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I had an OtterBox for my 4, and while it did protect it, it was too bulky.

This LifeProof case is nice so far, and is pretty sleek. Biggest draw for me was waterproof aspect and the dust/dirt protection. I rarely drop my phone, so at least for me, the extra shock absorbency and bulk of an OB was unneeded.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I so agreed with you. 10+ points

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Got back home today and my new package from LifeProof was waiting for me. It was for iPhone 5, and as far as I can tell works great. My mute switch toggle works on it, no tinny rattling sound even at max volume, passed the water test. It does have a really tight for though, but I think I prefer it. My only gripe is that sound is always bassy (because of the subwoofer like capacity of the case), so even things like my keyboard clicks sound deeper and slightly farther away. But overall, great case.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Walmart is not listed as an authorized reseller. I would check to make sure it's not a knock off.

I looked at some today. Looked like the real thing. Was weird that one of my walmarts does not carry them while my other one does lol. I wouldn't think that Walmart would sell counterfeit ones though.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Got back home today and my new package from LifeProof was waiting for me. It was for iPhone 5, and as far as I can tell works great. My mute switch toggle works on it, no tinny rattling sound even at max volume, passed the water test. It does have a really tight for though, but I think I prefer it. My only gripe is that sound is always bassy (because of the subwoofer like capacity of the case), so even things like my keyboard clicks sound deeper and slightly farther away. But overall, great case.

Did you buy your case from an unofficial retailer or on eBay?

The reason I ask is because you mentioned it's really tight, and the sound is bassy. When I first got my iPhone 5 I got a lifeproof for like $30 on eBay? Thought I was getting a good deal. When I got the package, everything looked legit, case passed the water test and everything, but as you mentioned, it felt tight on the phone & the sound was muffled & bassy. Since i had the original Lifeproof for my iPhone 4, I knew something was off. The quality wasn't as good as the original. Did a quick Google search and realized I bought a Chinese knock-off.

Went to Best Buy the next day, and got the real deal. It fit the phone better, and the sound quality was way better, and much clearer. I'd say it's even better than the original one for the 4/4S.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy your case from an unofficial retailer or on eBay?

The reason I ask is because you mentioned it's really tight, and the sound is bassy. When I first got my iPhone 5 I got a lifeproof for like $30 on eBay? Thought I was getting a good deal. When I got the package, everything looked legit, case passed the water test and everything, but as you mentioned, it felt tight on the phone & the sound was muffled & bassy. Since i had the original Lifeproof for my iPhone 4, I knew something was off. The quality wasn't as good as the original. Did a quick Google search and realized I bought a Chinese knock-off.

Went to Best Buy the next day, and got the real deal. It fit the phone better, and the sound quality was way better, and much clearer. I'd say it's even better than the original one for the 4/4S.

That case is straight from LifeProof, it's bassy because of the dust proof factor. It's not quite as tight anymore.

HeLLb0y

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I like the lifeproof case myself. But I couldnt stand the oil effect on the screen protector of the Fre case. I bought one for my 5 and my wifes 4s. we loved how small the cases actually were and the fact that they are waterproof is a big plus. Luckily I bought both of them at Best Buy. Well long story short, I returned them both. Like I said above the oil effect or rainbow spots on the screen protector was killing it for me on the Fre case and my wife had to practically shove her case in her ear with the volume all the way up. Im not a huge fan of otterbox but thats what I wrapped my 5 in. And my wife is using my old griffin survivor case and she has no problems with that, its just a little big for her.

Its been awhile since I posted anything. Thought I would just chime in.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
For those 4s users that have the "oily" effect, are you also using a screen protector on your phone, or just the glass screen that contacts the LF plastic screen protector?

It'd be interesting to see if the oil effect is just related to non-protected screens...

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
For those 4s users that have the "oily" effect, are you also using a screen protector on your phone, or just the glass screen that contacts the LF plastic screen protector?

It'd be interesting to see if the oil effect is just related to non-protected screens...

It's caused by air between the screen and the protector. Most screen protectors cause issues with the touch screen when used in conjunction with the LifeProof case. LifeProof says to rub it against a surface like your knee and wait a week for the case the settle.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
is it just a light refractive issue then? Such that the anti-glare does not reflect light back thus eliminating the "oily" effect? Seems to make sense to me.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a short lived time with Lifeproof as well. I picked up the tan color at Best Buy. I loved it for about the first 48 hours and after that, the screen protector had horrible pillowing. I could barely hit the space bar. I really had to press hard to get the space to register. I packed that up and took it back.

Not sure if anyone noticed this or not but there's a card included with the case that says "Please don't return this case to the store where you bought it - call or email us for assistance." Yeah, call or email them so they can charge you a restocking fee! Unbelievable!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a short lived time with Lifeproof as well. I picked up the tan color at Best Buy. I loved it for about the first 48 hours and after that, the screen protector had horrible pillowing. I could barely hit the space bar. I really had to press hard to get the space to register. I packed that up and took it back.

Not sure if anyone noticed this or not but there's a card included with the case that says "Please don't return this case to the store where you bought it - call or email us for assistance." Yeah, call or email them so they can charge you a restocking fee! Unbelievable!

I was never charged a restocking fee.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

That's one of my gripes with the case also. When it's on, I have a difficult time typing on it as well.

Kristopher_Ri

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I like Lifeproof and everything but when I had a case from them I only kept for like 2 weeks.... I was having nothing issues with the case

- Sound Problems
- Screen Protector Bubbles

I went through 2 replacements after giving up and getting my money back. Maybe I will get on in the future, I do know there Customer Service isn't that great so now with OtterBox maybe there Customer Service will improve.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR