OtterBox Armor?

infty

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a lifeproof frē for the iphone 5 from Best Buy the day it came out. It was absolutely horrible. The sound was distorted, it had an echo, plus a high pitched sound while on the phone. The proximity sensor also wouldn't work and the screen protector was so far off the screen that I couldn't type well and when I did there was a tap tap tap.

I decided to wait a month to see if there was improvement. 30 days later I exchanged my lifeproof at Best Buy for another one. This one had the sound distortion fixed. However, the proximity sensor still didn't work (this means that while I was on the phone, I couldn't hang up). I kept that case until January 24 which was the last day to return it. I then exchanged it for another case. This Lifeproof case had the proximity sensor fixed. I've kept that case for 29 days and I'll return it tomorrow. It's' the best case yet, the screen protector is almost perfect. However, there are still some small difficulty typing. It might not be anything, but I want to give the Armor a try. I just bought that today and I'm doing a water test right now. I will make up my mind if I want it in 14 days (I bought that at an AT&T store). Maybe I'll keep it or maybe I'll return it for a lifeproof. But the lifeproof keeps improving and right now they are probably pretty good cases.

This is why I buy from Best Buy. So I can return the cases until they fix all the problems.

infty

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There is one thing bad about the Armor case for the iPhone 5 that in my case it's non-negotiable. I will be returning it ASAP. The 30 pin adapter doesn't fit. This is needed.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
That's odd that they would make it where that doesn't fit. Does it fit on the LifeProof?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
There is one thing bad about the Armor case for the iPhone 5 that in my case it's non-negotiable. I will be returning it ASAP. The 30 pin adapter doesn't fit. This is needed.

Interesting as it's not even available for the iPhone 5 yet....

infty

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That's odd that they would make it where that doesn't fit. Does it fit on the LifeProof?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2

I bought the Armor for the iPhone 5 at an AT&T store. The 30pin to lightning adapter (0.2m) doesn't work. I called Otterbox, they originally said there was a mistake with my case so I went to the AT&T store again and checked three cases. It didn't fit any of them. I called Otterbox again and they said that they had designed it to only fit the lightning to USB connector, not the 30pin adapter.

Yes, the 30 pin to lightning adapter (0.2m) does fit the lifeproof case.

Also, the sound microphone sound is awful for the Armor case. The speaker sound is better on the Armor than the lifeproof case, the but microphone sound is way way way better for the lifeproof case than the Armor case.

Overall, I give Otterbox about the same score as I give Lifeproof on the first batch release. I hope Otterbox fixes these two problems. The case seems to be very sturdy and I like it, but the two problems are huge.

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Any of you guys get the white one? I'm thinking of exchanging it for a dark one even though my phone is white because i'm affraid the white will get dirty. My lifeproof white got so dirty it was crazy.

kendo

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the Otterbox Armor for my iPhone 5 on Friday, 2/22, from a local AT&T store. Later that night, I discovered the problem with the 30pin to lightning adapter (0.2m). I then boxed it back up and returned it to the AT&T store the next day. I found this thread and wished I had read it prior to my trip to AT&T.

I decided to send a Tweet to Otterbox about the 30pin to lightning adapter cable not fitting. Otterbox Customer Service tweeted back, "Sorry to hear that. Some adapters do fit." Well, I wrote back, "Really? Name one adapter, sold by Apple, that fits, other than the standard cable that comes with the phone." They responded last night with the following tweet, "Unfortunately, we can't advise on 3rd party products but there are forums that have recommendations."

Considering that there aren't many Apple approved lightning adapters out there besides Apple's adapters, I wonder what other "3rd party products" Otterbox is referring to?

So, my iPhone is back in its Defender case. I shall continue my quest for a highly protective case for my iPhone 5 that is also waterproof.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have one. I picked it up from AT&T yesterday. It is heavy duty. Like my Defender series but 10 x's. Like wearing an EOD suit instead of body armor.

I work on the ramp from an airline and need the protection. If you dont (need hardcore protection)... It really is pointless. I saw a girl in the mall the other day talking with one on her iPhone and it made me chuckle. The case was huge, decked out with bling. She was tiny.

Compared to my Lifeproof which I have laying around and dont use much cause its crap, it's built like a tank. The latch clamps down and creates a solid seal. The plugs are extremely tight.

Anyone planning on picking this up? I thought I might give it a try. We are getting them in at work on Thursday. I think it's gonna be pretty bulky but overall a lot tougher than the LifeProof. I am just interested in seeing whether LifeProof's shortcomings are improved upon or there again with the Armor.

OtterBox Armor Series | The Toughest Case Ever Built

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have one. I picked it up from AT&T yesterday. It is heavy duty. Like my Defender series but 10 x's. Like wearing an EOD suit instead of body armor.

I work on the ramp from an airline and need the protection. If you dont (need hardcore protection)... It really is pointless. I saw a girl in the mall the other day talking with one on her iPhone and it made me chuckle. The case was huge, decked out with bling. She was tiny.

Compared to my Lifeproof which I have laying around and dont use much cause its crap, it's built like a tank. The latch clamps down and creates a solid seal. The plugs are extremely tight.

Just curious, why do you say the LifeProof is crap? 6 foot drop protection, dust proof, built in subwoofer like capability, water proof headphone jack, water proof up to 6.5 feet for 30 minutes, slim.....I understand they've had build issues with the iPhone 5 case, but that's it. I'm not trying to steer away from the Armor, I actually find the Armor funny in the fact that it's as big as the defender but can't take anywhere near the damage the defender can. I understand brand loyalty too, some will buy the Armor because it is Otterbox. It's all just a matter of preference. But I've never had any reason to call the LP crap.

Mobile engaged, message transmitted

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Life proof build is weak IMO. I also resent the fact that they charge almost 30 bucks for a HOLSTER. I experienced degraded sound that is worse than the Otterbox Armor. I have also dropped the lifeproof from a distance no taller than my own height, 6 feet, and the back plate popped right on off.

Just curious, why do you say the LifeProof is crap? 6 foot drop protection, dust proof, built in subwoofer like capability, water proof headphone jack, water proof up to 6.5 feet for 30 minutes, slim.....I understand they've had build issues with the iPhone 5 case, but that's it. I'm not trying to steer away from the Armor, I actually find the Armor funny in the fact that it's as big as the defender but can't take anywhere near the damage the defender can. I understand brand loyalty too, some will buy the Armor because it is Otterbox. It's all just a matter of preference. But I've never had any reason to call the LP crap.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
...I actually find the Armor funny in the fact that it's as big as the defender but can't take anywhere near the damage the defender can.

That statement alone makes no sense. Head to head against my defender cases (I have 5), my armor is 10 times better in protection.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That statement alone makes no sense. Head to head against my defender cases (I have 5), my armor is 10 times better in protection.

The Armor is also rated for 6 foot drops but can take a lot of weight if its directly on the front or back. The Defender will protect your phone from being thrown off the 24th floor of a building. I'd like to see the Armor match that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234