OtterBox Armor?

infty

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Otterbox Armor for my iPhone 5 on Friday, 2/22, from a local AT&T store. Later that night, I discovered the problem with the 30pin to lightning adapter (0.2m). I then boxed it back up and returned it to the AT&T store the next day. I found this thread and wished I had read it prior to my trip to AT&T.

I decided to send a Tweet to Otterbox about the 30pin to lightning adapter cable not fitting. Otterbox Customer Service tweeted back, "Sorry to hear that. Some adapters do fit." Well, I wrote back, "Really? Name one adapter, sold by Apple, that fits, other than the standard cable that comes with the phone." They responded last night with the following tweet, "Unfortunately, we can't advise on 3rd party products but there are forums that have recommendations."

Considering that there aren't many Apple approved lightning adapters out there besides Apple's adapters, I wonder what other "3rd party products" Otterbox is referring to?

So, my iPhone is back in its Defender case. I shall continue my quest for a highly protective case for my iPhone 5 that is also waterproof.

I think OtterBox engineers made a huge mistake here. If you notice, the width of the hole for the lightning port is too narrow for the adapter, but the adapter fits just fine in the hole for the headphone jack. However, it's way too big for the headphone jack and the width of the lightning port hole is just right for the headphone jack. In other words, it looks like they exchanged the width of the holes. If the holes had the widths reversed, the lightning adapter would work perfectly. As far I I can see, there is no functional reason why the headphone hole is as wide as it is.

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm very happy I took this case back. However, i'm excited to see future versions of this and see how they can make it thinner and less bulky. The defender doesn't bother me, but this case really was just too much.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm very happy I took this case back. However, i'm excited to see future versions of this and see how they can make it thinner and less bulky. The defender doesn't bother me, but this case really was just too much.

Other than the thickness, were there any other issues you had with it?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just got one today for my iphone 5 and i can honestly say i love it, i think i will be sticking with this case, until maybe a mophie juicepack pro comes out for the 5 lol

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Other than the thickness, were there any other issues you had with it?

The top and bottom of the screen were a little hard to access. There was definitely more air between the screen and shield at those parts. Functionality was pretty good overall. The mute switch is weird since its inverted.

The first water test I did leaked water too. The second didnt. I had to make sure the ports were shut as hard as I could make them.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox armor is very overrated because I know 2 people who have them and they hate them. I ordered a Griffin Survivor and I'm still waiting on it. Ordered on the 24th of last month and still not received. Sux big time, damn USPS. I sent a package the same way Griffin is shipping to me to San Diego on the 27th and they received it on 3-1-2013. It's 3 times farther to the west coast than it is from Tennessee to me---Griffin needs to get off their a-- if they want to sell their product. Delivery sux big time---they don't care, after all they got your money now

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Otterbox armor is very overrated because I know 2 people who have them and they hate them. I ordered a Griffin Survivor and I'm still waiting on it. Ordered on the 24th of last month and still not received. Sux big time, damn USPS. I sent a package the same way Griffin is shipping to me to San Diego on the 27th and they received it on 3-1-2013. It's 3 times farther to the west coast than it is from Tennessee to me---Griffin needs to get off their a-- if they want to sell their product. Delivery sux big time---they don't care, after all they got your money now

I love my Griffin case. I hope they continue to make great cases for the iPhone.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Lol. No. I have both of these. The armor can and will withstand more drops and damage over the defender. It's night and day. I don't know what you're smoking.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Well glory be, I received my Griffin Survivor case this morning. USPS sux, only had to travel 500 miles and took 10 days for delivery. They must still be riding horse back. So far the case is perfect. Screen is very sensitive and calls are great on both ends. The speaker is a little muffled but not bad for this ole man with my hearing headed south. Little big but phone is very well protected. Beats the hell out of Lifeproof with faulty screen. Would buy again. Very satisfied. So there's my 2cents worth.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well glory be, I received my Griffin Survivor case this morning. USPS sux, only had to travel 500 miles and took 10 days for delivery. They must still be riding horse back. So far the case is perfect. Screen is very sensitive and calls are great on both ends. The speaker is a little muffled but not bad for this ole man with my hearing headed south. Little big but phone is very well protected. Beats the hell out of Lifeproof with faulty screen. Would buy again. Very satisfied. So there's my 2cents worth.

Congrats on finally getting your case. You will get used to the size. Because if the design, it feels better in the hand than the Otterbox Defender in my opinion. And I think that it looks good too. What color scheme did you get?

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
All black. Don't like anything flashy. I think I will like it. Feels go in my hand. I got more than I expected in a case and the weight is no problem. I would highly recommended it. I'm real satisfied with it.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
All black. Don't like anything flashy. I think I will like it. Feels go in my hand. I got more than I expected in a case and the weight is no problem. I would highly recommended it. I'm real satisfied with it.

I like that there are many colors available. I have the gray and white. But I also like the red and black also.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Picked up a green Armor case for a few days ago for my white iPhone 5 and I love it! I'm coming from an Otterbox Defender and actually prefer the bulk of Otterbox cases - I don't have to worry about dropping my phone and I also feel like I'm less likely to forget it somewhere.

Anyway, I checked w/ the AT&T store to see what their return policy is. After reading quite a few concerns about waterproof cases in general (primarily in terms of call quality) I didn't want to get stuck with a $100 case I didn't like. Their return policy is 14 days - refund, not credit.

I wanted something protective, don't mind bulky. I'm probably less likely than the average person to damage my case doing something rough or manly, I just worry about dropping the phone and damaging it. So I don't mind the bulk for the added protection (and waterproof is a bonus) but I don't have to have it - I'm not willing to sacrifice much in terms of call quality.

First impressions... Looked better in person than I thought it would. Not as big or boxy as I thought it would be. Easier to put on and take off than I thought it would be (even easier than my Defender - which helps for wiping away "rainbow slicks"). Screen feels like it's better quality than my Defender. I really like that it's dust-proof, something I had to worry about with my Defender.

I can't really think of a con. I did have a small rainbow slick not long after I began using the case but opening and closing the case got rid of it - 2 days later and it hasn't returned. There is a bit of a gap between the screen on the phone and the screen on the case. So I find myself "tapping" quite a bit more than I would without the case. And if I have to choose between the gap and the raibow slicks, I'll take the gap. Nothing I can't get used to. Not really a fan of the small home button but at least it's very easy to press.

Ear speaker quality is excellent. The bottom speaker quality is excellent. Neither are hampered at all. I only made one call, to my wife, asked her later if she noticed any difference and she said no. Most of my calls are made from the car using Bluetooth so it doesn't seem like I'll have any issues.

Haven't done a water test yet. I have no plans to intentionally submerge my phone but I suppose I should do one anyway.

I've tried quite a few cases in the past, always went back to my Otterbox Defender in less than 24 hours. I'm apparently a bigger fan of their products than I want to admit. I suspect most of the people who have bad things to say about OB quality are unkowingly buying knock-offs on Amazon. Anyway, this case is just awesome, very happy with it.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Picked up my new Otterbox Armor yesterday. I haven't done a water test, not planning on swimming with it or do I shower with it. More interested in dropping of phone or other accidents. Very solidly built, little heavy but for the protection, the xtra weight might be justified. Screen is very responsive and just for h--- of it, ( no, I'm not rich) I got on top my apartment building, 2 floors and did a straight drop. It did some fancy flipping and bouncing but the phone itself is still in perfect condition, thought it was trying out for the olympics. Few marks on the case but they but wiped off. Case slides in and out my wrangler jeans pockets just fine. So far, A very good case---it's a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone post a picture of the bottom of their case?

I can probably snap a quick pic, is their something specific you wanted to see or just a straight on bottom shot with the ports closed?

I did the water test. Didn't notice any water when observing it still underwater, applied slight pressure to the front and back with the case upside down and air bubbles were coming out of the opening next to the headphone jack. Found a few drops of water inside. Took that case back.

Tried it again with the second case, same thing. Maybe we're not supposed to apply pressure. I figured it would mimic the use of the phone underwater (pressing the home button, screen, etc.) but with the phone in the case there'd be a lot less give so who knows. I was under the impression no water should get in the case period. Anyway, it was just a few drops and I'm pretty sure it was only happening when I applied slight pressure.

I don't ever plan on intentionally submerging my phone but I'm fairly confident it would protect the phone for a few minutes in a few feet of water (like if I dropped it and needed a little time to retrieve it) so I'm just going to hold on to this one.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes just the bottom to show the ports. Want to do a comparison with a few that I have.... Something has changed...I think

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes just the bottom to show the ports. Want to do a comparison with a few that I have.... Something has changed...I think

If these don't show what you want or you have specific questions just let me know! Shouldn't matter but these were taken without the back panel attached.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363808535.466250.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363808544.896902.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363808552.980088.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363808561.429294.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234