Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #26  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    That's odd that they would make it where that doesn't fit. Does it fit on the LifeProof?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  2. #27  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    4,203 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,722 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by infty View Post
    There is one thing bad about the Armor case for the iPhone 5 that in my case it's non-negotiable. I will be returning it ASAP. The 30 pin adapter doesn't fit. This is needed.
    Interesting as it's not even available for the iPhone 5 yet....
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    The Armor for the 5 is available. We have several in stock and I tried one on my phone last night.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  4. #29  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    4,203 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,722 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    What store? I have a few looking around one and no one has any.. Only Online at OtterBox
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


  5. #30  
    infty's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post
    That's odd that they would make it where that doesn't fit. Does it fit on the LifeProof?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2
    I bought the Armor for the iPhone 5 at an AT&T store. The 30pin to lightning adapter (0.2m) doesn't work. I called Otterbox, they originally said there was a mistake with my case so I went to the AT&T store again and checked three cases. It didn't fit any of them. I called Otterbox again and they said that they had designed it to only fit the lightning to USB connector, not the 30pin adapter.

    Yes, the 30 pin to lightning adapter (0.2m) does fit the lifeproof case.

    Also, the sound microphone sound is awful for the Armor case. The speaker sound is better on the Armor than the lifeproof case, the but microphone sound is way way way better for the lifeproof case than the Armor case.

    Overall, I give Otterbox about the same score as I give Lifeproof on the first batch release. I hope Otterbox fixes these two problems. The case seems to be very sturdy and I like it, but the two problems are huge.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    What store? I have a few looking around one and no one has any.. Only Online at OtterBox
    A carrier store in Kentucky.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  7. #32  
    justinkk2005's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Any of you guys get the white one? I'm thinking of exchanging it for a dark one even though my phone is white because i'm affraid the white will get dirty. My lifeproof white got so dirty it was crazy.
  8. #33  
    feng72's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    20 Posts

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    just got mine yesterday from Otterbox via FedEx. This thing is HUGE OMG. it is really sturdy, but too big
  9. #34  
    dwayne.williams's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    I saw a video of it and it did look huge. I like that it fits snugly in the case though.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  10. #35  
    kendo's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    I purchased the Otterbox Armor for my iPhone 5 on Friday, 2/22, from a local AT&T store. Later that night, I discovered the problem with the 30pin to lightning adapter (0.2m). I then boxed it back up and returned it to the AT&T store the next day. I found this thread and wished I had read it prior to my trip to AT&T.

    I decided to send a Tweet to Otterbox about the 30pin to lightning adapter cable not fitting. Otterbox Customer Service tweeted back, "Sorry to hear that. Some adapters do fit." Well, I wrote back, "Really? Name one adapter, sold by Apple, that fits, other than the standard cable that comes with the phone." They responded last night with the following tweet, "Unfortunately, we can't advise on 3rd party products but there are forums that have recommendations."

    Considering that there aren't many Apple approved lightning adapters out there besides Apple's adapters, I wonder what other "3rd party products" Otterbox is referring to?

    So, my iPhone is back in its Defender case. I shall continue my quest for a highly protective case for my iPhone 5 that is also waterproof.
  11. #36  
    Xm_jdm's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,440 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    I have one. I picked it up from AT&T yesterday. It is heavy duty. Like my Defender series but 10 x's. Like wearing an EOD suit instead of body armor.

    I work on the ramp from an airline and need the protection. If you dont (need hardcore protection)... It really is pointless. I saw a girl in the mall the other day talking with one on her iPhone and it made me chuckle. The case was huge, decked out with bling. She was tiny.

    Compared to my Lifeproof which I have laying around and dont use much cause its crap, it's built like a tank. The latch clamps down and creates a solid seal. The plugs are extremely tight.

    Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post
    Anyone planning on picking this up? I thought I might give it a try. We are getting them in at work on Thursday. I think it's gonna be pretty bulky but overall a lot tougher than the LifeProof. I am just interested in seeing whether LifeProof's shortcomings are improved upon or there again with the Armor.

    OtterBox Armor Series | The Toughest Case Ever Built
  12. #37  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I have one. I picked it up from AT&T yesterday. It is heavy duty. Like my Defender series but 10 x's. Like wearing an EOD suit instead of body armor.

    I work on the ramp from an airline and need the protection. If you dont (need hardcore protection)... It really is pointless. I saw a girl in the mall the other day talking with one on her iPhone and it made me chuckle. The case was huge, decked out with bling. She was tiny.

    Compared to my Lifeproof which I have laying around and dont use much cause its crap, it's built like a tank. The latch clamps down and creates a solid seal. The plugs are extremely tight.
    Just curious, why do you say the LifeProof is crap? 6 foot drop protection, dust proof, built in subwoofer like capability, water proof headphone jack, water proof up to 6.5 feet for 30 minutes, slim.....I understand they've had build issues with the iPhone 5 case, but that's it. I'm not trying to steer away from the Armor, I actually find the Armor funny in the fact that it's as big as the defender but can't take anywhere near the damage the defender can. I understand brand loyalty too, some will buy the Armor because it is Otterbox. It's all just a matter of preference. But I've never had any reason to call the LP crap.


    Mobile engaged, message transmitted
  13. #38  
    Xm_jdm's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,440 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Life proof build is weak IMO. I also resent the fact that they charge almost 30 bucks for a HOLSTER. I experienced degraded sound that is worse than the Otterbox Armor. I have also dropped the lifeproof from a distance no taller than my own height, 6 feet, and the back plate popped right on off.




    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Just curious, why do you say the LifeProof is crap? 6 foot drop protection, dust proof, built in subwoofer like capability, water proof headphone jack, water proof up to 6.5 feet for 30 minutes, slim.....I understand they've had build issues with the iPhone 5 case, but that's it. I'm not trying to steer away from the Armor, I actually find the Armor funny in the fact that it's as big as the defender but can't take anywhere near the damage the defender can. I understand brand loyalty too, some will buy the Armor because it is Otterbox. It's all just a matter of preference. But I've never had any reason to call the LP crap.


    Mobile engaged, message transmitted
  14. #39  
    Xm_jdm's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,440 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    ...I actually find the Armor funny in the fact that it's as big as the defender but can't take anywhere near the damage the defender can.


    Mobile engaged, message transmitted
    That statement alone makes no sense. Head to head against my defender cases (I have 5), my armor is 10 times better in protection.
  15. #40  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    That statement alone makes no sense. Head to head against my defender cases (I have 5), my armor is 10 times better in protection.
    The Armor is also rated for 6 foot drops but can take a lot of weight if its directly on the front or back. The Defender will protect your phone from being thrown off the 24th floor of a building. I'd like to see the Armor match that.


    Mobile engaged, message transmitted
  16. #41  
    infty's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    I purchased the Otterbox Armor for my iPhone 5 on Friday, 2/22, from a local AT&T store. Later that night, I discovered the problem with the 30pin to lightning adapter (0.2m). I then boxed it back up and returned it to the AT&T store the next day. I found this thread and wished I had read it prior to my trip to AT&T.

    I decided to send a Tweet to Otterbox about the 30pin to lightning adapter cable not fitting. Otterbox Customer Service tweeted back, "Sorry to hear that. Some adapters do fit." Well, I wrote back, "Really? Name one adapter, sold by Apple, that fits, other than the standard cable that comes with the phone." They responded last night with the following tweet, "Unfortunately, we can't advise on 3rd party products but there are forums that have recommendations."

    Considering that there aren't many Apple approved lightning adapters out there besides Apple's adapters, I wonder what other "3rd party products" Otterbox is referring to?

    So, my iPhone is back in its Defender case. I shall continue my quest for a highly protective case for my iPhone 5 that is also waterproof.
    I think OtterBox engineers made a huge mistake here. If you notice, the width of the hole for the lightning port is too narrow for the adapter, but the adapter fits just fine in the hole for the headphone jack. However, it's way too big for the headphone jack and the width of the lightning port hole is just right for the headphone jack. In other words, it looks like they exchanged the width of the holes. If the holes had the widths reversed, the lightning adapter would work perfectly. As far I I can see, there is no functional reason why the headphone hole is as wide as it is.
  17. #42  
    prophecyc2's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    171 Posts

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    I'm very happy I took this case back. However, i'm excited to see future versions of this and see how they can make it thinner and less bulky. The defender doesn't bother me, but this case really was just too much.
  18. #43  
    dwayne.williams's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by prophecyc2 View Post
    I'm very happy I took this case back. However, i'm excited to see future versions of this and see how they can make it thinner and less bulky. The defender doesn't bother me, but this case really was just too much.
    Other than the thickness, were there any other issues you had with it?


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  19. #44  
    jmendel33's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    393 Posts

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Just got one today for my iphone 5 and i can honestly say i love it, i think i will be sticking with this case, until maybe a mophie juicepack pro comes out for the 5 lol
  20. #45  
    prophecyc2's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    171 Posts

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmendel33 View Post
    Just got one today for my iphone 5 and i can honestly say i love it, i think i will be sticking with this case, until maybe a mophie juicepack pro comes out for the 5 lol
    Juice Pack Air (replacing the Pro) drops march 22.
  21. #46  
    prophecyc2's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    171 Posts

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Other than the thickness, were there any other issues you had with it?


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    The top and bottom of the screen were a little hard to access. There was definitely more air between the screen and shield at those parts. Functionality was pretty good overall. The mute switch is weird since its inverted.

    The first water test I did leaked water too. The second didnt. I had to make sure the ports were shut as hard as I could make them.
  22. #47  
    jmendel33's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    393 Posts

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by prophecyc2 View Post
    Juice Pack Air (replacing the Pro) drops march 22.
    So its a totally protected case with a battery, nice
  23. #48  
    tharley46's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Otterbox armor is very overrated because I know 2 people who have them and they hate them. I ordered a Griffin Survivor and I'm still waiting on it. Ordered on the 24th of last month and still not received. Sux big time, damn USPS. I sent a package the same way Griffin is shipping to me to San Diego on the 27th and they received it on 3-1-2013. It's 3 times farther to the west coast than it is from Tennessee to me---Griffin needs to get off their a-- if they want to sell their product. Delivery sux big time---they don't care, after all they got your money now
  24. #49  
    dwayne.williams's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default OtterBox Armor?

    Quote Originally Posted by tharley46 View Post
    Otterbox armor is very overrated because I know 2 people who have them and they hate them. I ordered a Griffin Survivor and I'm still waiting on it. Ordered on the 24th of last month and still not received. Sux big time, damn USPS. I sent a package the same way Griffin is shipping to me to San Diego on the 27th and they received it on 3-1-2013. It's 3 times farther to the west coast than it is from Tennessee to me---Griffin needs to get off their a-- if they want to sell their product. Delivery sux big time---they don't care, after all they got your money now
    I love my Griffin case. I hope they continue to make great cases for the iPhone.
  25. #50  
    Xm_jdm's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,440 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: OtterBox Armor?

    Lol. No. I have both of these. The armor can and will withstand more drops and damage over the defender. It's night and day. I don't know what you're smoking.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Otterbox Armor case iPhone 4S - Short review
    By John Yester in forum Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM
  2. OtterBox Armor Series
    By iBradA5 in forum Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 01:19 AM
  3. Otterbox Armor Series shipping Fed 22 - iPhone 4S
    By John Yester in forum Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
  4. OtterBox New Case Series - Armor Series
    By EmceeGeek in forum Accessories
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
  5. Otterbox Armor (2G) 3G(s) compatible?
    By iBenjii in forum Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Posting Permissions