Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    emjayess's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    I'm looking to get a case after several months of going naked...naked iPhone 5, that is. Apple has replaced my device twice due to defective power buttons and I've been able to "refresh" the device and the damage to the edges (I have screen protectors on the front and back). Now I'm thinking of getting some side and/or back protection because, as much as I LOVE the feel of the naked 5, I HATE the feel of the naked 5 with rough edges etc.

    Therefore, I would prefer a metal bumper case that's really thin, if it exists and it doesn't interfere with the transmission signals. Does such a product exist?

    Or a super thin case that only covers the sides and the back?

    If no metal case is interference free, what are some other options (plastic, rubber, poly, etc.) that are barely there, just enough to protect against everyday bumps and bruises (not the catastrophic drops or run-overs etc.)?

    Thanks!
    "No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin
  2. #2  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by emjayess View Post
    I'm looking to get a case after several months of going naked...naked iPhone 5, that is. Apple has replaced my device twice due to defective power buttons and I've been able to "refresh" the device and the damage to the edges (I have screen protectors on the front and back). Now I'm thinking of getting some side and/or back protection because, as much as I LOVE the feel of the naked 5, I HATE the feel of the naked 5 with rough edges etc.

    Therefore, I would prefer a metal bumper case that's really thin, if it exists and it doesn't interfere with the transmission signals. Does such a product exist?

    Or a super thin case that only covers the sides and the back?

    If no metal case is interference free, what are some other options (plastic, rubber, poly, etc.) that are barely there, just enough to protect against everyday bumps and bruises (not the catastrophic drops or run-overs etc.)?

    Thanks!
    The two that I am aware of (and I am sure there are others) are:

    1. CaseMate Barely There
    2. Incipio Feather

    Both are back/sides cases that are incredibly thin. My iPhone 5 is naked, but I used both of these cases on my iPhone 4...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  3. #3  
    the1onlyjosh's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Zagg just released some metal numbers today. They had a link up on their twitter pages. As car as full cases switcheasy.com has the nude series which is only 1mm think. If I don't go nude I go with that case.
  4. #4  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    656 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,248 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    +1 on the Incipio Feather, using one right now, actually adds better grip and feel to the phone and barely adds anything to it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    emjayess's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by the1onlyjosh View Post
    Zagg just released some metal numbers today. They had a link up on their twitter pages. As car as full cases switcheasy.com has the nude series which is only 1mm think. If I don't go nude I go with that case.
    I saw the Zagg Perimeter on their web site and I'm intrigued; however, I didn't see any new metal cases/bumpers--can you direct me to them?

    And thanks to everyone who chimed in--I have some good leads so far (but no Holy Grail just yet)!
    "No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin
  6. #6  
    Bro-row's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Elago S5 Slim Fit (with apple logo cutout), I've used them all and this is the best "thin" case IMO. $10.99 on Amazon.
  7. #7  
    vietalogy's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drow-NIN View Post
    Elago S5 Slim Fit (with apple logo cutout), I've used them all and this is the best "thin" case IMO. $10.99 on Amazon.
    I also have this one but without the logo cutout and love it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Twitter: @vietalogy
  8. #8  
    tech_fan's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    I just got a case yesterday and its called the Spigen Linear Metal Ultra case yesterday. It provides side protection and has back protection. The back protection is clear hard plastic and the side protection is plastic metallic finish. Spigen makes some real nice products. They actually have a screen protector called the Glass.tr which is a piece of shatterproof glass that adheres to the phone.

    The Spigen case also does not protrude from the front so, there is no edge to the phone. The costs for these cases vary from $20-$30.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    emjayess's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by tech_fan View Post
    I just got a case yesterday and its called the Spigen Linear Metal Ultra case yesterday. It provides side protection and has back protection. The back protection is clear hard plastic and the side protection is plastic metallic finish. Spigen makes some real nice products. They actually have a screen protector called the Glass.tr which is a piece of shatterproof glass that adheres to the phone.

    The Spigen case also does not protrude from the front so, there is no edge to the phone. The costs for these cases vary from $20-$30.
    Thanks everyone for more recommendations! I'm still not sure etc. Question for "tech_fan" on the Spigens: do the LInear Metal Ultra work if you don't use their back cover? In other words, would there be a gap without their back cover?

    Again, I'm mostly interested in bumpers; so, does anyone know if the Spigen Neo Hybrid (I think they're called) would work with a third-party glass front protector (I already have a PowerSupport glass cover and a Bodyguardz on the way)?

    Thanks and keep the ideas coming!
    "No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin
  10. #10  
    Slammers08's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,942 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Checkout zoogue.com I've got 2 of these cases and they are very low profile. Highly recommend.
    John Yester likes this.
  11. #11  
    jerome g's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    210 Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slammers08 View Post
    Checkout zoogue.com I've got 2 of these cases and they are very low profile. Highly recommend.
    Looks good, and they are on Amazon for $8 !
  12. #12  
    Slammers08's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,942 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerome g View Post
    Looks good, and they are on Amazon for $8 !
    Can't go wrong!!
  13. #13  
    asuperstarr's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Casemate Barely There
  14. #14  
    asuperstarr's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Incipio Feather
    Incase Snapcase
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    emjayess's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slammers08 View Post
    Checkout zoogue.com I've got 2 of these cases and they are very low profile. Highly recommend.
    Yes, I have one of those cases as it came free with my ZooGue iPad case (which is cool); the silicone or whatever it is and the serrated edges are annoying: the case won't stick to my MILO phone stand, for one thing. The case is too thick and the feel of the material is a bummer.
    "No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin
  16. #16  
    Slammers08's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,942 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by emjayess View Post
    Yes, I have one of those cases as it came free with my ZooGue iPad case (which is cool); the silicone or whatever it is and the serrated edges are annoying: the case won't stick to my MILO phone stand, for one thing. The case is too thick and the feel of the material is a bummer.
    Also highly recommend the tech21 case! A little better protection very low profile!
  17. #17  
    ckillam3's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Spigen line is awesome
  18. #18  
    pr1nce2's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    I like the outter box for me personally
  19. #19  
    Slammers08's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,942 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Also the tech 21 is great for protection and not much thicker than the zoogue. Dropped my phone about 4ft on concrete yesterday and the phone doesn't have a mark on it. And I use a zagg HD and a tech 21 case. Highly recommend.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    emjayess's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slammers08 View Post
    Also the tech 21 is great for protection and not much thicker than the zoogue. Dropped my phone about 4ft on concrete yesterday and the phone doesn't have a mark on it. And I use a zagg HD and a tech 21 case. Highly recommend.
    Thanks, but even if good on protection, the clear model still has orange sides?! WTF?! Too thick, anyway.
    "No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    emjayess's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by ckillam3 View Post
    Spigen line is awesome
    The Spigen models look great; however, some reviewers there complain about the "loose fit" on the iPhone 5 and that the color isn't as good as the photos. Therefore, do you have any of the the bumper models with the metallic finish such as the "Linear EX Slim Metal" or the "Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal"? The "Metal Slate" color looks the best to me, but they're out of stock, it seems.
    "No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin
  22. #22  
    Slammers08's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,942 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Quote Originally Posted by emjayess View Post
    Thanks, but even if good on protection, the clear model still has orange sides?! WTF?! Too thick, anyway.
    I know but I have the smoked so the orange sides are not as noticeable. The case is not that thick really. I rotate between this and the zoogue. Also use the belkin candy sheer also.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    emjayess's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default Zagg Perimeter

    FYI: I just received the ZAGG Perimeter bumper case for my iPhone 5 today.

    This product seems like it's just something ZAGG developed quickly to push out to catch the iPhone 5 wave etc. Specifically, the volume buttons are small and poorly designed, providing poor tactile feedback; user experience is lousy etc. Disappointing and I will be returning it immediately. The rest of it is OK and seems to cover the edges well.
    "No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin
  24. #24  
    the1onlyjosh's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

    Default Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Just got my poetic borderline in a few days ago. By far my favorite and thinnest case.
  25. #25  
    t3ddie's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    971 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,599 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: Which iPhone 5 case is the thinnest?

    Ozaki 0.3 solid maybe
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
  2. Which calender app is the best for iphone/ iPad ?
    By MacRulez4Ever in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 10:02 AM
  3. iPhone cases making the iPhone more dirty?
    By moneymike47 in forum Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 01:10 AM
  4. Which thin case is better?
    By MobiCoder in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Posting Permissions