Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zach7
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Default Otterbox Defender for iPad mini

Anyone have this case for your mini? I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna go all out and get this or get the elago case with a Smart Cover.

Is it bulky? Are you afraid the plastic interior will damage the mini over time? Anything you want to add/reviews?

Thanks. I appreciate it!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

Default re: Otterbox Defender for iPad mini

Not familiar with the Elago case but a friend of mine has the Defender on his Mini and while it isn't my cup of tea it isn't as bulky as you'd think. Even with the case it can still fit in his pocket - but he does wear them sort of large :-p.

His Mini isn't showing any signs of being damaged, but the case is new so if that is a concern of yours I don't think it helps much.
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-09-2013)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Default Otterbox Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Good OL MC View Post
    Not familiar with the Elago case but a friend of mine has the Defender on his Mini and while it isn't my cup of tea it isn't as bulky as you'd think. Even with the case it can still fit in his pocket - but he does wear them sort of large :-p.

His Mini isn't showing any signs of being damaged, but the case is new so if that is a concern of yours I don't think it helps much.
    Thanks for the response. I do have a ten year old that may be playing with it, so that's kind of why I was looking at the defender. Then there'd be no worries with her having free reign over it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

No problem! I'm glad I could help. Hope she goes easy on it.
    iMore Newbie

I love my Otterbox Defender case, it gives the mini just the right amount of extra baggage to make it a joy to hold. It works well With 1 or 2 hands. I love the external screen protector that doubles up as a multi angle stand too. I'm gonna score this case 9 out of 10, hope this helps
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-10-2013)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bcl1973 View Post
    I love my Otterbox Defender case, it gives the mini just the right amount of extra baggage to make it a joy to hold. It works well With 1 or 2 hands. I love the external screen protector that doubles up as a multi angle stand too. I'm gonna score this case 9 out of 10, hope this helps
    Yup. That's exactly what I was looking for. The phone versions have seemed to get a little less bulky, so I was hoping that's the case with the mini one, too. Thanks again.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

i've got defenders on all my devices and love the piece of mind.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

The only thing I am curious about is if the defender itself scratches the iPad. Anyone notice this? I love the defender for my full size but it isn't prone to scratches like the black mini. Basically, if the case will scratch it, I will just go without and save the money.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gvndeb60 View Post
    The only thing I am curious about is if the defender itself scratches the iPad. Anyone notice this? I love the defender for my full size but it isn't prone to scratches like the black mini. Basically, if the case will scratch it, I will just go without and save the money.
    Yeah. That was something I was very curious with knowing, too. Don't know if it's been out long enough to get a definitive answer, or not.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

I had the case for my S3. It added a lot of weight to the phone. It also made it much larger. I did not like the edges because I found myself having to use more thumb pressure and such to type. It also interfered with the edges of the screen so, when you needed to press something on the edge, it took a couple of tries.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gvndeb60 View Post
    The defender has foam cushioning inside the back so as not to scratch the iPad, it's pretty tight in there so it won't be moving about.
    Thanked by:
    gvndeb60 (01-12-2013)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My mini Otterbox Defender has been working great! No scratches and the built in screen protector is awesome. Here is some photos I posted when I first got it.

iPad mini Otterbox Defender Review
    Good OL MC likes this.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zach7 View Post
    My mini Otterbox Defender has been working great! No scratches and the built in screen protector is awesome. Here is some photos I posted when I first got it.

iPad mini Otterbox Defender Review
    Thanks for the link to your review!

Have you taken your mini out of the Defender? I'm wondering if it leaves any marks or scratches on it. I know previous Defenders have left scuffs and marks on iPhones, so that's one of my worries here.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Otterbox Defender

I know the defender has been known to scratch the black i5. I have seen reviews. Haven't seen reviews for it being on a black mini.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    I know the defender has been known to scratch the black i5. I have seen reviews. Haven't seen reviews for it being on a black mini.
    Yeah, that's my worry with this one. But I haven't been able to confirm anything.
    iPhone Nanite

I put my mini immediately into a Defender case upon purchase. I throw it into my bag and have not a worry as I'm off to work. It does add almost 100% in weight, but its not a problem for me. A Defender is a bit much for my iPhone, but its perfect for my mini. YMMV My $0.02
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Default Re: Otterbox Defender for iPad mini

Im working with AAC devices in Norway and we have started using iPad mini for some children in need of a medium sized device. From my experience with Otterbox Defender (having used Otterbox Defender series since the first iPad came) and active children, its a great match. Ive used it at home as well and one of my boys have ADHD and I know the iPad would have been long gone if it haddnt been for the Otterbox. Yes its a bit heavy and you might have to push a little harder. However if you want top protection for your iOS devices; Otterbox Defender is the best to my knowledge.
    iMore Intermediate

I have had the defender on my mini since launch and have no issues at all. It's honestly the best case IMO for someone who uses it on the go and likes to throw it in a bookbag or anything similar.

No scratching on the back. My iphone defender doesn't have the problem some others have either...
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prophecyc2 View Post
    I have had the defender on my mini since launch and have no issues at all. It's honestly the best case IMO for someone who uses it on the go and likes to throw it in a bookbag or anything similar.

No scratching on the back. My iphone defender doesn't have the problem some others have either...
    Thanks for your input! So you've taken it out and it still looks like new? The reason I'm asking is because I resell EVERYTHING and would like good protection that won't damage the iPad in the process.

Thanks to you and to anyone else who can chime in about it damaging or not damaging their mini.