Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Default Any idea why Lightning to SD Card adapter isn't compatible with iPhone5?

Just spent $30 on the Lightning to SD Card reader and when I plug it in it says "This Accessory is Not Supported by iPhone".

When looking at the box this came in there is nothing printed on it that says it won't work on the iPhone 5. I jumped in an online chat with an Apple tech and they said it only works on iPad. Seriously? Why?

The tech didn't know what to tell me except to contact technical support. Does anyone here know of a different adapter to use that will let my iPhone read an SD card? What prevents the iPhone from being compatible with the adapter?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    2,667 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Any idea why Lightning to SD Card adapter isn't compatible with iPhone5?

I'm pretty sure the thing that prevents it from being compatible is Apple. I don't think they've allowed the camera connection kit and SD card connector to work with any of the iPhones. Once a jailbreak is released, I think there is a tweak to allow it to work
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Default Re: Any idea why Lightning to SD Card adapter isn't compatible with iPhone5?

Frustrating. I wish they would have told me on the box that it wasn't compatible. Ridiculous.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,006 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Any idea why Lightning to SD Card adapter isn't compatible with iPhone5?

Who makes the accessory? Most things that have been Apple approved will specify exactly which products they work with on the box so I'm surprised to hear this didn't.

For what it's worth, Apple makes it clear what it works with: (and any sort of camera connection kit has only EVER worked with the iPad. They've never been supported for iPhones.)
    Last edited by Massie; 12-13-2012 at 07:12 PM.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

It is the official Apple adapter. It just blows my mind that it doesn't work with the iPhone 5.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I think there is a tweak to allow it to work
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That is nuts that its official and doesn't work with their products.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,006 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    That is nuts that its official and doesn't work with their products.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    But it does. The OP is just upset that the iPhone version of iOS doesn't use the SD card reader—something it has never done. The reader was made specifically for the iPad.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    But it does. The OP is just upset that the iPhone version of iOS doesn't use the SD card reader—something it has never done. The reader was made specifically for the iPad.
    Ok gotcha. Thanks for the clarity.

Sent from my game boy color
    iPhone Nanite

Im pretty aggrevated about this also. The people at a AT&T Argued with me that it would work. well it dont. I wasted $30 and pretty unsatisfied with this product. WE NEED A APP OR SOME KINDA OF FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM