Any idea why Lightning to SD Card adapter isn't compatible with iPhone5?

kyle6279

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Just spent $30 on the Lightning to SD Card reader and when I plug it in it says "This Accessory is Not Supported by iPhone".

When looking at the box this came in there is nothing printed on it that says it won't work on the iPhone 5. I jumped in an online chat with an Apple tech and they said it only works on iPad. Seriously? Why?

The tech didn't know what to tell me except to contact technical support. Does anyone here know of a different adapter to use that will let my iPhone read an SD card? What prevents the iPhone from being compatible with the adapter?

Thanks.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the thing that prevents it from being compatible is Apple. I don't think they've allowed the camera connection kit and SD card connector to work with any of the iPhones. Once a jailbreak is released, I think there is a tweak to allow it to work

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Who makes the accessory? Most things that have been Apple approved will specify exactly which products they work with on the box so I'm surprised to hear this didn't.

For what it's worth, Apple makes it clear what it works with: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...pad-accessories%2Fpower-cables&token=FaJYIz2w (and any sort of camera connection kit has only EVER worked with the iPad. They've never been supported for iPhones.)

Last edited:

gedwierico

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I think there is a tweak to allow it to work
12a3.jpg

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That is nuts that its official and doesn't work with their products.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk

But it does. The OP is just upset that the iPhone version of iOS doesn't use the SD card reader—something it has never done. The reader was made specifically for the iPad.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
But it does. The OP is just upset that the iPhone version of iOS doesn't use the SD card reader?something it has never done. The reader was made specifically for the iPad.

Ok gotcha. Thanks for the clarity.

Sent from my game boy color

Rivea1144

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Im pretty aggrevated about this also. The people at a AT&T Argued with me that it would work. well it dont. I wasted $30 and pretty unsatisfied with this product. WE NEED A APP OR SOME KINDA OF FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711