Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robertk328
  • 1 Post By Alli
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Thoughts on the BookBook?

Howdy all!

I was able to score an iPhone 5 (finally). I'm currently using an Otterbox Commuter case (which I love). I picked up the Incipio Stowaway case for my 4S and really liked having my wallet and phone together. The BookBook looks like a great wallet case and I was thinking it might make a nice Christmas gift. Just wanted to get some input from those of you who have the BookBook for the 4/4S and 5.

Thanks!!
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,094 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Thoughts on the BookBook?

Quote Originally Posted by iLive an iLife View Post
    Howdy all!

I was able to score an iPhone 5 (finally). I'm currently using an Otterbox Commuter case (which I love). I picked up the Incipio Stowaway case for my 4S and really liked having my wallet and phone together. The BookBook looks like a great wallet case and I was thinking it might make a nice Christmas gift. Just wanted to get some input from those of you who have the BookBook for the 4/4S and 5.

Thanks!!
    Hi iLive Well, i'm pretty sure you have an idea of my opinion on the vintage brown BookBook that i have for my 4S i absolutely LOOOOOVE it Especially when i don't feel like carrying my handbag!! The leather quality is excellent IMHO, and as you use it, the leather deepens in color. It reminds me of a leather bomber jacket appearance wise. I squeeze 4 cards into mine plus i use the slot to store my receipts/some cash while i'm out. It takes about a good week, week and half for it to wear in and close nicely. What i did when i first got mine, was put the side the phone is on facing down causing the weight of it to form the front of it to close without it flapping up that little bit.

In addition, now that i use my phone naked all the time, to put my phone in and out is even easier for when i want to use my BookBook last minute on the go type of thing

So i would definately suggest it and BookBook warranties it so if there are any issues, a simple phone call with a copy of your invoice will get you a replacement
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hey Pink!! I was going to send you a PM to ask about the BookBook, but I didn't want to bug you! I knew, overall, you were a big fan of the case, but wanted some additional information. This was perfect!!

I really liked the Stowaway case, but I'm not crazy about the new design. The BookBook looks great and very professional - which is important. If all goes according to plan - I'll be rejoining the working world in a few short weeks, right after I complete my Masters, with a pretty nice job. I thought the BookBook would be great if I'm just going to work, I can have my wallet and phone together in my pocket (versus sitting on my wallet in my back pocket all day).

I did have a couple of questions for you. Is the case easy to take on and off? I absolutely love my Otterbox Commuter and am going to probably swap between the two of them.
    Do you know if any retail outlets sell the case? I'd really like to look at one hands on before buying. Just found the list of retail outlets on Twelve South's website (I thought "Bookbook" was the manufacturer AND case name).
    How difficult is talking/texting on the iPhone while it's in the case? I saw images on their site that the front flap folds all the way back (which looks like it would be easy to use then).

Thanks, Pink!!

PS - With anyone with the iPhone 5 Bookbook. Is this case compatible with the Lighting to 30-Pin adapter (cable version)? Before I purchased my Commuter case, I went with the Belkin Sheer Grip Candy and the cut out at the bottom of the case was too small for the adapter (it has a slightly thicker plastic piece around the actual Lightning connector).

iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Bookbook is a really nice leather wallet with one big draw back, over time it will put micro scratches in your screen! I used mine everyday for 6 months and the leather from the credit card side rubbed scratches into the screen. They disappear when you clean the screen, but as soon as any oil or fingerprints get on screen they are noticeable again.. I would advise against using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by moegumby1 View Post
    Bookbook is a really nice leather wallet with one big draw back, over time it will put micro scratches in your screen! I used mine everyday for 6 months and the leather from the credit card side rubbed scratches into the screen. They disappear when you clean the screen, but as soon as any oil or fingerprints get on screen they are noticeable again.. I would advise against using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have a Zagg screen protector on my iPhone 5, do you think that would protect the screen?

Yup I used several different ones with my book book and they worked great.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,094 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hey Pink!! I was going to send you a PM to ask about the BookBook, but I didn't want to bug you! I knew, overall, you were a big fan of the case, but wanted some additional information. This was perfect!!

I really liked the Stowaway case, but I'm not crazy about the new design. The BookBook looks great and very professional - which is important. If all goes according to plan - I'll be rejoining the working world in a few short weeks, right after I complete my Masters, with a pretty nice job. I thought the BookBook would be great if I'm just going to work, I can have my wallet and phone together in my pocket (versus sitting on my wallet in my back pocket all day).

I did have a couple of questions for you. Is the case easy to take on and off? I absolutely love my Otterbox Commuter and am going to probably swap between the two of them.
    Do you know if any retail outlets sell the case? I'd really like to look at one hands on before buying. Just found the list of retail outlets on Twelve South's website (I thought "Bookbook" was the manufacturer AND case name).
    How difficult is talking/texting on the iPhone while it's in the case? I saw images on their site that the front flap folds all the way back (which looks like it would be easy to use then).

Thanks, Pink!!

PS - With anyone with the iPhone 5 Bookbook. Is this case compatible with the Lighting to 30-Pin adapter (cable version)? Before I purchased my Commuter case, I went with the Belkin Sheer Grip Candy and the cut out at the bottom of the case was too small for the adapter (it has a slightly thicker plastic piece around the actual Lightning connector).
    Ok, as far as taking your phone in and out of the BookBook - the one for the 4/4S is extremely simple. Its a slide in/out type of installation. As you can see from the attached pic, the phone slides in from the top of the wallet, and the tab with the reb ribbon gets tucked in behind the top between the phone and the wallet itself. So, literally seconds to put in the phone or take it out, BUT the phone is secure and never slips out.

As for the new BookBook for the i5, I noticed they did away with that type of installation for it. Now by looking at it, it appears to be as simple as snapping your phone into it, kinda like putting on an Incipio feather case or a Case Mate Barely There type of style. I would imagine taking the phone in and out of the wallet would be easy as well because most people like to dock their phone (like me)

As for talking and texting....well. It is easy - the front of it would just fold back so that you can talk without it getting in the way, and as for texting you could just leave it hang, or hold it back with one of your hands while texting with the other. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the biggest PITA of it getting in the way and 1 being no issues - i'd say depending on what your doing, it could be a 5. TBH, there are sometimes while i have my phone in the bookbook wallet that i get annoyed and just yank my phone out to do what i need to, and then put it back in. BUT that only happens when i'm in a hurry - otherwise it doesnt bother me at all Also, keep in mind, if your a lefty - the case folds back to the left and could be a bit challeging if you text with your left hand.

I can honestly say, i've ditched all of my cases and the only one that i keep around to use when i need it is my BookBook....and i dont even consider this one a case. I consider it a wallet with an added bonus of being able to attach your phone convienently!

I have a Zagg screen protector on my iPhone 5, do you think that would protect the screen?
    A Zagg, or any front screen protector will work just fine as well.

and BTW, you could PM me any time when ever you have a ? or need help I'll get back to you when i'm able to

PS: Good Luck with your new job thats awesome news - i hope all goes well for you!!

iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Book book is awesome for iPhone 4 or 4s ... The 5 is just now coming out and made improvements
    I loved mine and when i upgraded i had to go back to a normal case

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts

Well I can't comment on the BookBook for ip5, but I did have it for my ip4 and I loved it. Really is a great case and I never noticed any scratches in my screen from it, but then again 90% of the time I owned my 4 it had a screen protector on it. I'm definitely going to pick up the BookBook for the 5 as well as the Lifeproof for the 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

They are gorgeous. The only thing keeping me from getting one is the lack of camera hole. I use the camera on my iPhone far too often to have to keep sliding my phone out of a case.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    They are gorgeous. The only thing keeping me from getting one is the lack of camera hole. I use the camera on my iPhone far too often to have to keep sliding my phone out of a case.
    They fixed that on the iPhone 5 version.
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

Got the Bookbook for the Iphone5. I do like it a lot, and have also received numerous comments on it, from everyone! On my unit itself, the side with the phone "holder" it seems to be a tab bit off centered. Being as anal and as much of a perfectionist as I am, it is bothering me. Other than that, the bookbook for the iphone5 is just awesome. Got it last Thursday, and today it;s just better than it was when I first got it. Leather is getting softer, and it's just great. Loving it. Total cost though ended up being close to $100 CAD. $59 for the case, $15 for shipping, then $23 for customs. Kinda nuts when I think about it, but well worth it. Not sure what I should do about the "tilted" phone holder. Do you think I should or could get a replacement (Pinky)?
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! It looks like a "Classic Black" BookBook will be under the tree on Christmas morning! Can't wait to start using it (however, I'm very content and really liking my Otterbox Commuter)!

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I bought the BookBook for my iphone 4. It's cute. Its a good idea. Phone + credit cards, driver's license, etc. But I hated having to fold the front cover behind my phone to use it during a call. Maybe if I were a bluetooth user, this wouldn't be an issue. But that was my biggest annoyance because I felt the cover gave too much resistance. *shrugs* personal preference, I guess. And then my driver's license was exposed for all the world to see, while I was on a call. I ended up inserting my DL facing inward. Figured, you tend to be in lala land while on a phone call, probably not a good idea to have your name, birthdate, and address flashing to everyone walking by.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by soogriff View Post
    I bought the BookBook for my iphone 4. It's cute. Its a good idea. Phone + credit cards, driver's license, etc. But I hated having to fold the front cover behind my phone to use it during a call. Maybe if I were a bluetooth user, this wouldn't be an issue. But that was my biggest annoyance because I felt the cover gave too much resistance.
    This was my biggest issue with it as well. I used the white earbuds for a while but that only lasted so long. I saw a lady on an airplane the other day and recognized it right away.

I also flipped my DL around but that defeated the purpose of the window. I had really hoped the bookbook was the perfect solution, but at least for me, not so much. Does look great though.
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
    soogriff likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well my BookBook came last week and luckily I thought to check it before passing it on for Christmas. It was completely messed up. I think someone used it, returned it and then it got sent to me. The cover looked like some stepped on it - it was bent and had a huge crease in the front. On the back, around the camera hole, there was a huge gouge out of it. I emailed Twelve South (their customer service is great) and was able to return it. I guess I'll be looking for one at an Apple Store. That way I know exactly what I'm getting before I buy!

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

So I was able to get an iPhone 5, and asked my husband for the BookBook for Hannumas. So far I really do love it. I can understand about holding the phone to your ear for a call being a problem though. Right now that's not an issue for me as I'm unable to hold the phone up for a call anyway, and always use speaker. Hopefully by the time I'm able to hold the phone up, the cover will have relaxed enough to comfortably bend it back.