Can I make the *speakers* ring even though I've got headphones plugged in?

Emperors New Phone

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Got an i5 issued to me by work. I want to have the headphones plugged in so I can take calls while driving (UK = hands-free), but don't want to wear the headphones all the time... because I'm driving.

I've been able to do this easily with every other phone I've ever had (including the other fruit-based brand this thing has replaced) but I'm damned if I can figure this out - plug the headphones in and it only rings through the headphones.

Can anyone more familiar with the Apple environment point me in the right direction?

M7mdAA

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Got an i5 issued to me by work. I want to have the headphones plugged in so I can take calls while driving (UK = hands-free), but don't want to wear the headphones all the time... because I'm driving.

I've been able to do this easily with every other phone I've ever had (including the other fruit-based brand this thing has replaced) but I'm damned if I can figure this out - plug the headphones in and it only rings through the headphones.

Can anyone more familiar with the Apple environment point me in the right direction?

Of I'm not mistaken, when the headphones are plugged in then you should hear the the iPhone ringing both thru the headphones and the the iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperors New Phone

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'd have thought would be the case, but it doesn't appear to be. Reading around it seems it used to be the case for older versions, but lots of people complained with variants on "I wear headphones all the time so I don't want to disturb others". *

Have to be honest, I do not hold out much hope for this. My suspicion is that Apple just expect everyone to wear headphones all the time. Sadly, I'm not 14 any more.

* - translation - get caught listening to music in class when a friend sends me a text. :)

M7mdAA

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
That's what I'd have thought would be the case, but it doesn't appear to be. Reading around it seems it used to be the case for older versions, but lots of people complained with variants on "I wear headphones all the time so I don't want to disturb others". *

Have to be honest, I do not hold out much hope for this. My suspicion is that Apple just expect everyone to wear headphones all the time. Sadly, I'm not 14 any more.

* - translation - get caught listening to music in class when a friend sends me a text. :)

I just tried it. My Iphone rings when the headset is plugged in

Emperors New Phone

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Errr... having read that I just tried it again, even though I have made no changes to the set-up since I posed the question.

The blimmin' thing rang exactly as you say, and exactly as I was wanting it to. :confused:

So, no idea why, but thanks M7mdAA for responding enough to make me try it again. No idea what went on, but there y'go. I'm much happier having been proven wrong. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox