Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrnserv
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Default Rear Case Options?

I started researching case options for the mini and wanted to get some of your opinions.
    Do any of you have a rear case on and also using the smart cover? Can you post some photos so I can get some ideas what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance.
    iPhone Newbie

Default Re: Rear Case Options?

From what I have seen thus far, cases that do fit the Smart Cover don't quite fit the iPad properly. Give it till the end of the month to get all the case makers to make a proper case, rather than what they rushed out based on speculation.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

No i dont have any case like this so i cant say any thing about this.

Last edited by Brad555; 12-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I got this Joy back cover which works with smart covers CSE106SmartFit Mini for iPad Mini (Clear). It is a plastic smooth hard shell. I don't particularly like it, but it fits perfectly.

I also ordered i-Blason Apple iPad Mini Smart Cover Compatible Back Cover SoftGel TPU back case (Front Smart Cover Not Included, Back cover Only) Frost Clear. (Still waiting on delivery)

I think I will like the latter case better cause it will be a bit more grippy and not so smooth. The first case is nice and looks great.

Both were designed to work with Smart Cover, which not everyone likes. I do.

DAB, sent with Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White
    IPad 4 16GB White
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I picked up a Skinomi Tech Skin Ultra Shield on Amazon for $0.99 plus shipping for back, didn't use the screen protector, using Smart Cover and Mini retains its very thin look and feel with back protected from scratches and front protected when not in use with cover. Back skin fit well and went on with minimal time and effort.Rear Case Options?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352708967.140471.jpgRear Case Options?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352709047.751123.jpg
    iPhone 6 (128GB, AT&T), iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
    iPad Air (128GB, Verizon), iPad Mini2 (128GB, AT&T), iPod Touch 5 (64GB),
    iMac, Mac Mini x2, MacBook Pro 13R, MacBook Air 11,
    Apple TV x3
    ... its like a giant Apple Pie !!!
    gvndeb60 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mrnserv View Post
    I picked up a Skinomi Tech Skin Ultra Shield on Amazon for $0.99 plus shipping for back, didn't use the screen protector, using Smart Cover and Mini retains its very thin look and feel with back protected from scratches and front protected when not in use with cover. Back skin fit well and went on with minimal time and effort.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352708967.140471.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	22602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352709047.751123.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	22603
    Link?
    iMore Newbie

Fear not! I just accidentally dropped my mini and it made and almighty thud on a hard floor. When examining it is close detail I could find a single scrape or scratch. This has convinced me that this device doesn't need a cover for the back.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I picked up a Skinomi Tech Skin Ultra Shield on Amazon for $0.99 plus shipping for back, didn't use the screen protector, using Smart Cover and Mini retains its very thin look and feel with back protected from scratches and front protected when not in use with cover. Back skin fit well and went on with minimal time and effort.Click image for larger version. 

Do you think that would leave any glue residue if attempting to remove later on? I've always wondered about these protective skins...
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Do you think that would leave any glue residue if attempting to remove later on? I've always wondered about these protective skins...
    No when you peel them off there is absolutely no residue. I use the Zagg Invisible Shield HD on my screens and they peel off clean.

DAB, sent with Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Amazon.com: Skinomi TechSkin - Apple iPad mini Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Full Body Protective Skin + Lifetime Warranty: Electronics

Ended up about $4 with Prime membership and had a coupon for additional free skin as a "specially selected customer"
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

I have the exact same set up and love it. You retain the thin profile of no case but get a nice grip instead of slippery metal. I did put the screen protector on, to me it helps reduce the Smart Cover from sliding around when it is closed.

@mrnserv did you I stall the whole back? I trimmed off the protector that would have been under the hinge of the Smart Cover so it had the best connection possible. I am curious how solid the magnet is through the protector.

Also, I may be paranoid but I am hesitant to use a hard plastic back cover on my black mini. I have one for my full size iPad and it works great but I am afraid the the little tabs that hold it on would scratch the mini.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    iMore Newbie

I like that idea actually. I've had a Caudabe Shell (also bought on Amazon) for a while on my big iPad and it's worked great, but it doesn't look like Caudabe has a mini version yet. Might pick up this Skinomi instead. Only concern is that it's basically just scratch protection. Doesn't do anything for bumps.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Got my Incipio Feather case in yesterday and really like it so far. Minimal bulk, a little grippier, and protects the back.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Loony4Fruit View Post
    I like that idea actually. I've had a Caudabe Shell (also bought on Amazon) for a while on my big iPad and it's worked great, but it doesn't look like Caudabe has a mini version yet. Might pick up this Skinomi instead. Only concern is that it's basically just scratch protection. Doesn't do anything for bumps.
    Right, it is just scratch protection. I put mine in a neoprene case to carry around when I need more protection or not in use.

Skinomi sent me a free second set of skins per coupon that was included with original purchase, not sure if this is standard or for early users of product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 6 (128GB, AT&T), iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
    iPad Air (128GB, Verizon), iPad Mini2 (128GB, AT&T), iPod Touch 5 (64GB),
    iMac, Mac Mini x2, MacBook Pro 13R, MacBook Air 11,
    Apple TV x3
    ... its like a giant Apple Pie !!!