Anyone try a generic lightning cable yet?

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Mine came in today.
So far, that's $5.39 well spent.

If it craps out in a week or two, I'll admit defeat and pay Apple their kilo of flesh.

Why a kilo?
Because one kilogram is roughly 2.2 lbs.
I think that more accurately reflects Apples robust profit margins.

Last edited:

Jeff Smith2

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
it work great now. As of today posting. China have perfected the lightning cable. 10,000 sold if not more... If it not good, Apple would have stop the sell of the Generic.

1caz

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I bought a couple of lighting generic cables from Sunsky for my car & work, they are a very tight fit and like one of the poster said just charge on one side, but I'm getting a bit worry both times I charged in my car with the generic, I start having problems trying to charge at home with the OEM cable, it takes me several tries to get the iphone to recognize the cable is plugged, so looks that the generic may be screwing my phone up, I may have to shell and buy a OEM to use when I travel, and after using the OEM it goes back to normal and detected it every time, just those 2 times after using the generic it went nuts. It could be that I got 2 bad cables and they are messing with the charging port. Anyway this is just my experience with a non OEM cable........:(

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I just bought two of the cables from the link Alli posted. I will let you all know what I think when they get here.

I have had them now for about a week. They both look just like the official apple ones. But one cable died after a week. It just stopped working. I had it in the car to charge not sure if that made a difference. I replaced it with a Griffin cable. The other I have on my computer and use it to sync my iPhone to iTunes. So 50-50 on if they work. Still $5 for one working cable is still not bad.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Mine are still working fine. They may be like so many other cheapies from China - they are the OEM merchandise, but they did not pass QC for some reason. Some don't pass for minor reasons, but are still good.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine are still working fine. They may be like so many other cheapies from China - they are the OEM merchandise, but they did not pass QC for some reason. Some don't pass for minor reasons, but are still good.

Yeah I'm sure. With the lifeproof case it has to be exactly the right dimensions or it won't fit. So I am stuck with apple ones.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried updating to 6.1 with the remaining working cable. It kept erroring out. I had to use the Apple cable. It charges and syncs ok but as soon as I can I am going to invest in another Apple cable and ditch the fakes.

Christian Auldridge

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Bro they do ive got one and they for some reason charge faster! I am an apple expert (lol i many ways anyway) and while theyre cheaper made theres nothing wrong with them. Don tlet apple fool you with the authenitification chip tahts nonsense electrical charge goes in device, device charges. I have tooken the cables apart and theyre identical internally.

Natashadj

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
no do not get it at all! I got it a few days ago and it only lasted 5 days & it glitches a lot. Worst product ever. don't waste your money it.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Still using all the ones I bought. At this point I couldn't even tell you which were my original OEM's, and which are the cheap replacements.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Yep.

I'm throwing the dice, and hoping I like the numbers.

Mine came in today.
So far, that's $5.39 well spent.

If it craps out in a week or two, I'll admit defeat and pay Apple their kilo of flesh.

Why a kilo?
Because one kilogram is roughly 2.2 lbs.
I think that more accurately reflects Apples robust profit margins.

3 weeks later, still working fine.

...And 3 months later, the cable died.

So, off I went to Best Buy on my lunch to pick up some official Apple synch n charge cables, lol.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711