Anyone try a generic lightning cable yet?

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I was 1 click away from ordering 2 generic lightning cables off eBay for my incoming iPhone 5 but a quick search on Google showed me a few articles stating the generic lightning cables will NOT work with the iPhone 5 because they are missing an AUTHENTICATION chip in them.

Is this true? Has anyone ordered a generic lightning cable off eBay or Amazon and successfully charged their iPhone 5?
What are your thoughts?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
*edit - i misspoke, i ordered the cable adaptors, not the actual lightning cables...but looking online on eBay at the feedback these people have that are selling them, it seems people are having no trouble from the cheap ones.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
*edit - i misspoke, i ordered the cable adaptors, not the actual lightning cables...but looking online on eBay at the feedback these people have that are selling them, it seems people are having no trouble from the cheap ones.

I'm going to order a cheap generic one from eBay, from a US seller and see if they work and will report back once I get it and my iPhone.
I am also going to order an authentic Apple cable just in case.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to order a cheap generic one from eBay, from a US seller and see if they work and will report back once I get it and my iPhone.
I am also going to order an authentic Apple cable just in case.

Please do. I am curious. I had heard that it could mess up your device. Not sure if its true but scared me enough not to try.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

ric3621

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
picked up one on ebay works just like the oem ones

can't post link. also do not buy this one, just found out it will not sync with itunes charges fine but will not sync

Last edited:

tardbag

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a few generics on eBay. They work fine. Charges and recognized by Windows 7 and Mountain Lion. Works fine in any computer and/or Apple USB power cubes as well.

Most of the generics on eBay, etc. do not look like the OEM Apple version. The Apple version has an extremely thinned out USB connector (there's barely any plastic on the connector, in comparison to older 30-pin USB cables). These generics take the original USB plug (standard on older iPhones) which has slightly thicker plastic, and the lightning plug is boxy, and not oval-shaped like Apple has made them. If you could care less about cosmetics, they serve their purpose well. If you're like me and want to get cheap cables that are as close to genuine as possible, I found some that contain the oval-shaped lightning plug; the only difference is the USB label on the USB plug is in slightly darker ink- who cares-it works.

Here is what I got. 12 bucks apiece, USA shipping, oval-shaped like Apple. Sync charge and everything in-between. Hope this helps.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...n&_itemId=230878505061&_trksid=p2047675.m4099

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
ordered 2 from ebay at $6.5 each shipped. working fine. data and charging working fine. charging times are the same like OEM. I don't see no difference just that its not oem and cheaper. Ive always used aftermarket cables from ebay to charge my many blackberrys devices/laptops/iphones/ipads...have never encountered any problems.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
First Round Of Third-Party Lightning Cables Are Coming From Griffin

Griffin is officially the first legit accessory maker to sell third-party Lightning-to-USB cables. Several Lightning-compatible accessories have already come out, but no alternative sync cables. Griffin will start selling Apple-authorized Lightning cables during the first week of December in four different lengths.
Lightning isn’t cheap, so you’ll be paying a minimum of $17 for the shortest cable Griffin offers.
The 4 measurements: 2 feet for $17, 3 feet for $19, 4 feet for $25, and a healthy 3 meters for $30. All come in black and the 2 footer is coiled. For comparison, Apple sells its 3.5-foot Lightning-to-USB cable for $20 and in white only.
These cables should be available on Griffin’s website towards the beginning of next week.

Read more at First Round Of Third-Party Lightning Cables Are Coming From Griffin | Cult of Mac

bandityo

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Griffins arent really a money savings...pass! I have two from Boxwave that work fine more than half the price.....thanks but no thanks Griffin...not a big enough savings

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Last year I purchased a Griffin power/sync for my iPhone 4S and it didn't work, so it's definitely not a money saver. I was very disappointed.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to give an update.
I purchased this one off eBay

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...151200508%26globalID%3DEBAY-US&token=Kbk8Fy13

I got it within a week and it works flawless.
My only gripe is the plastic surrounding the lightening connector is larger than the oem apple and It doesn't fit in some cases. It works fine with the case I am using daily now (MacAlley), plus I bought it for my car so it does the job.

I am now in the hunt for a 6' or 10' lightening cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought one off eBay. Seller good ratings but it was a tight fit it plug in and felt cheap. Plastic surrounding connector was loose. I returned it. Not worth messing up my phone.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Update. My 'generic' eBay cable does no longer charge my phone or ipad. I was getting a "this accessory does not work" message and them boom, nothing.

If you want my opinion, just spend the $ and get the oem apple cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I need two extra cables, 1 for the car and another to keep in my living room so I don't have to carry the original all over the house. I've been hearing people tell me the eBay generics are not worth it. My brother bought 3 cables and none of them charge or sync anymore. I think I'm going to have to just spend the $19 and carry that one back and forth or just spend the money and just get the 2 I need