Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GingerSnapsBack
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default How necessary is a tough case?

I have an iPhone 4S and I've always had an Otterbox defender series on it. I'm tired of that case and have some issues with it as well. I was just wondering how necessary a tough case like this is. I don't drop my phone often, maybe 6 time total and I've had it for about 7 months. What case does anyone recommend and what level of protection do you think is necessary? Thanks for any comments.
    iPhone Beginner

I would say a basic case is good. I typically get the incase design cases for my devises.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: How necessary is a tough case?

I personally don't understand why people stuff a beautifully designed iPhone in those huge/ugly Otterbox type cases (beyond some specific use case scenarios). I do use and recommend a case but I have never used anything other than a minimalistic type case -- currently switch between a and an cases, and I am very active with my iP5... use it all day long in and out of my pocket and workout/jog with it.

IMO of course....
    iPhone Newbie

I agree an iphone shouldnt be put in a case that covers up everything unless it is a good looking case which there arent alot of i usually go with simple cases today i just got in a cleave case trying it out i lose the little signal i had have at work with it but after work today gonna see if its worth keeping
    iMore Newbie

personally, i dont use cases / covers.

i went through a few when i had the ipad1 and the iphone 3gs, but I always found that i'd have to take them off.
    please check out my blog, I have a huge apple mac tips section that gets updated constantly
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 :)

I've had my iphone4 for 5 months and use tight fitting cases...OB Defender is incredibly bulky, the Commuter is much better but my new fave is the Incipio Silicrylic case...its a 2 pc very similar to Commuter but even less bulk, not as slippery (rubberized hard case) but plenty of light weight 'glove-like' protection; just in case!!!
    "Sometimes its not the song that makes you emotional. It's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it."
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Depends on if you can live with the conseques of a shattered screen if something happens. I'd rather have the extra bulk than shell out for an insurance claim or have an iPhone with a busted screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SnapThrow View Post
    I personally don't understand why people stuff a beautifully designed iPhone in those huge/ugly Otterbox type cases (beyond some specific use case scenarios). I do use and recommend a case but I have never used anything other than a minimalistic type case -- currently switch between a and an cases, and I am very active with my iP5... use it all day long in and out of my pocket and workout/jog with it.

IMO of course....
    I'm around horses a lot. I also work in a building with concrete floors. I live in a home with hard wood floors. I'd rather bulk up my phone with a Ballistics HC or an Otterbox than ruin it.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    miah84 likes this.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I made the decision to get the clear lifeproof. It claims to have the same level of protection, more actually, and I'm stoked about being able to see my phone through the case. It also is way less bulky.
    Banned

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I never use case for my cell phone and my phone still keeps complete without any damage. Whether to use the case depends on yourself. If you can take care of your phone well, you can not use it, I think. but if the case can protect you phone when your phone drops in water, it takes effect then, :o
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,926 Global Posts

I don't drop phones at all, but I have the LifeProof on this iPhone 4 and love it. I have no worries with this case. It is not as bulky and clumsy as the Otterboxes that I have seen.

One big plus is that if it does get dirty, I can just wash it off!!! I wanted one for my iPhone 5 but they werent available yet. I ended up selling it (for $1025!!!!!) on eBay.

I miss it a bit, but the $600 profit was nice! LOL

Sent from my tricked out iPhone 4 while my Rezound charges!!!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    I don't drop phones at all, but I have the LifeProof on this iPhone 4 and love it. I have no worries with this case. It is not as bulky and clumsy as the Otterboxes that I have seen.

One big plus is that if it does get dirty, I can just wash it off!!! I wanted one for my iPhone 5 but they werent available yet. I ended up selling it (for $1025!!!!!) on eBay.

I miss it a bit, but the $600 profit was nice! LOL

Is it truly dust proof?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,926 Global Posts

Yes, it uses an o ring to seal out dust and water. The new Fre case for the Five is gorgeous, IMO.

FYI... You can pick up the LifeProof cases for the 4/4S on Amazon for about $50. eBay has some good deals at times, much better than the retail price of $79.99 that it costs at the LifeProof website.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iBradA5 View Post
    I have an iPhone 4S and I've always had an Otterbox defender series on it. I'm tired of that case and have some issues with it as well. I was just wondering how necessary a tough case like this is. I don't drop my phone often, maybe 6 time total and I've had it for about 7 months. What case does anyone recommend and what level of protection do you think is necessary? Thanks for any comments.
    Cases are insurance. Nobody needs a case... until they drop their phone. So the type of case you get, or don't get is equal to the risk you are willing to take.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,847 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnapThrow View Post

IMO of course....
    Agreed! All I use is a belkin.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

I made the decision to get the clear lifeproof. It claims to have the same level of protection, more actually, and I'm stoked about being able to see my phone through the case. It also is way less bulky.
    I use a LifeProof case and haven't had any problems with it. I like the thin case and the protection it offers.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by jakuza4347 View Post
    I agree an iphone shouldnt be put in a case that covers up everything unless it is a good looking case which there arent alot of i usually go with simple cases today i just got in a cleave case trying it out i lose the little signal i had have at work with it but after work today gonna see if its worth keeping
    Periods work wonders in our sentences. Which break them up into smaller sections to read them properly. All love though.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use the Griffin Survivor case because I have small children who always have my phone. They like watching their cartoons on it when in the car and to play various games. I would not be able to hand over my phone unless I knew it was truly protected. Also, I have dropped my phone a couple of times and to see my phone just bounce and not have any damage whatsoever is great. I like having the peace of mind that if I do drop it, no damage will be incurred. My wife on the other hand has the Incipio feather case. Every time one of the kids drops it, she gasps hoping that the screen hasn't shattered. The screen has been replaced twice already for her. None for me. Lastly, it will be nice to be able to reap the monetary benefits of selling a pristine iPhone 5 when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts

Simple, are you in environments that would cause need of it? If yes, then it is necessary, if no, then it's not. Sometimes I need mine, most times not. Most times I use my Incipio Feather.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Relevant story; my wife has the iPhone 4S and she put one of those super slim, snap on cases on her phone. For about three months since having that case, there haven't been any real damages. Just a few light scratches. This morning, I took the phone out of the case to clean it and the entire back was shattered. This would be a nightmare if it were my phone.

iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Relevant story; my wife has the iPhone 4S and she put one of those super slim, snap on cases on her phone. For about three months since having that case, there haven't been any real damages. Just a few light scratches. This morning, I took the phone out of the case to clean it and the entire back was shattered. This would be a nightmare if it were my phone.

She drop it and it not protect it or something?

Mine went tumbling off my bed twice this weekend on accident. I have one of those beds that is pretty high off the ground. Phone landed on one of the corners and bounced a couple times. Thanks to my Ballistics HC, not a scratch or a crack one.

That's why I keep my phone in a case.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

She had the slim case on it. I'm sure she dropped it at some point. But because the front glass didn't shatter, she didn't think to inspect the phone further. It could have been broken for a week. Who knows?