iPhone 5 Otterbox Commuter Case

iCollin

Banned
Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a Otterbox commuter (black) for my black iPhone and I must say this is a good case. This case makes it hard to think you actually need a Otterbox Defender. It has the same plastic/rubber shell casing from previous iPhone commuter cases. The rubber seems different (better) it is a little stiff but I'm sure it will change over usage. The case has a kinda exterior trim per se so if you happen to drop your iPhone screen first the trim will take the impact and leave the screen not touched. It feels smaller than previous commuter cases width wise and a little lighter in weight. The apple and camera cutout are at perfect fit and look amazing. Overall I totally recommend this case to any iPhone 5 users who want drop protection with little bulk as possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joker022

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed! I just bought one after many weeks of debate because I hated how the rubber got loose and flimsy after a while. Fortunately, it looks like they fixed that problem this go around. I would definitely recommend this case!

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I've been a defender user for a while now. And I will say the defender for the 5 isn't as bulky as the previous model. And the improved rubber around the case is very nice.

koup

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Just picked mine up today. I love it!

It feels slim compared to other otter cases. I did try the defender case but that was way to big for my needs. Also I like that the commuter case has the rubber on the inside. The defender has plastic on the inside and it may leave marks on the phone.

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Returned the commuter because of a flaw in the design, in my opinion. Leaving on the back a hole open around the apple logo. At least in the Defender series that hole has a clear cover protecting it, where the commuter doesn't. I put my phone in my pocket and can't put anything in it with the phone. I have the black version and with the back scratches easy, didn't want to take any chances. I instead got a Speck Candyshell Grip case and it works great. Just keep an eye on the back to make sure no scratches

Darkprod

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I also picked up a Commuter. I wish it brought a belt clip like the Defender. Does anybody know if there's a belt clip that fits the Commuter with the iPhone 5? I know I read somewhere there was something that fit the Commuter with the 4.

iCollin

Banned
Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Returned the commuter because of a flaw in the design, in my opinion. Leaving on the back a hole open around the apple logo. At least in the Defender series that hole has a clear cover protecting it, where the commuter doesn't. I put my phone in my pocket and can't put anything in it with the phone. I have the black version and with the back scratches easy, didn't want to take any chances. I instead got a Speck Candyshell Grip case and it works great. Just keep an eye on the back to make sure no scratches

Valid Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I love my commuter case. I returned the dual pro and got the commuter. I was worried that the commuter would add a lot of bulk but honestly, it's not that much.

Only one thing that bothers me is the cutout for the apple logo. I'm worried about it getting scratched (I have the black iphone 5) but I think buying a back/rear film cover will fix that issue.

Overall, great case and great protection without as much bulk as I was expecting!

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Just an idea for those of you worried about the logo cut-out - If you don't use the screen protector that comes with the case, put it over the apple logo so it won't get scratched where the opening is.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
For those of you who have the Commuter - did Otterbox fix the funky silicone issue they had with their 4/4S cases (where the silicone wouldn't fit into the hard plastic shell)? I had a Commuter for my 4S and had to return it because the silicone wouldn't sit flush and was bowing the plastic shell.

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you who have the Commuter - did Otterbox fix the funky silicone issue they had with their 4/4S cases (where the silicone wouldn't fit into the hard plastic shell)? I had a Commuter for my 4S and had to return it because the silicone wouldn't sit flush and was bowing the plastic shell.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have a commuter for my 4s but the silicone piece for the i5 commuter fits in very nicely. Will it stay this nice a year from now? Who knows but right now its flush.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback! I loved the Commuter case and was really bummed out when it had that design flaw last time. I'm going to definitely scoop one up this time around. I think I read in another thread that when the case was taken off it made a mark around the Apple logo and camera hole. Is that true? I am probably going black and am worried about the phone getting all scratched up (even with a case on).

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to get back late but I could see a difference after I took off the commuter around the apple logo. However, after cleaning it off with microfiber, you can't really see a difference. So far so good!

anon(1458)

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Commuter is definitely a midgrade case that works great if you arent going to be throwing your phone out of your car window while driving lol. I never understood the needed bulk with the Defender

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up the Commuter case today and I absolutely love it! It's the perfect balance between low profile and protection... I agree with the OP, it's a great case!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711