Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default Going case-less with a toddler?

As you can tell I have serious issues in my life. Today, my biggest problem is whether I should go case-less with having an 18-month old that can work the iPhone. Getting the iPhone 5 in a few weeks. I've never gone case-less. I'd like to try case-less. But the inevitable fear sinks in. I did buy AC+. Thoughts?

Global Posts
    15,825 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Default Re: Going case-less with a toddler?

I use a otterbox normally. but still switch out to a Belkin case. Not so worried as much now. Since my 2 yr old can unlock it and open apps and even face time her grandpa lol
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Global Posts
    23,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin3191 View Post
    As you can tell I have serious issues in my life. Today, my biggest problem is whether I should go case-less with having an 18-month old that can work the iPhone. Getting the iPhone 5 in a few weeks. I've never gone case-less. I'd like to try case-less. But the inevitable fear sinks in. I did buy AC+. Thoughts?
    First of all, you're very brave to allow your device to be handled by an 18-month old child so I applaud you, my friend.....As for your question, I would definitely encase it if only to keep the slobber off of it...lol...Besides, you know kids that age put everything in their mouth....
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I would not. I have two kids 6 and 3, and I'd never let them handle my iPhone case-less. If it slips out of my hands, it certainly will slip out of theirs (without a case).
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts

I have a kid under ten and a dog so my advice is don't do it. At least you have the ac+ if needed though.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iPhone 6 (x2), iPad......Life is Great As Long As You Make it That Way
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Funny, my 12 year old isn't even allowed to touch my phone.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

.. Yes both my daughters 6 year old has a ipad 2 and 2 year old a iPhone 4 .. They Can unlock open apps play games watch movies and use Netflix lol ...
    My oldest one just has a Smart Cover and back shield on the iPad she takes good care of her stuff so she knows how important it is .. It was a big deal and a kindergarten graduation preset so she does real good not a scratch on the screen or iPad for that matter he also had a old 3GS when she was 3 and a iPod 4 gen before upgrading to iPad 2

I bought a shattered iphone 4 for My 2 year old after the repair I put in a otterbox .. No it's not water proof but it does good with drops being tossed etc she does pull the rubber on some side but It hold pretty well .. I tried the fisher price cases but it effected the loudness of sound for the movies too much so it didn't work out.

Would I give my kid my iphone 5 case less ... My 6 year old yes my 2 year old no way lol

I would use a older device for kids in a case and use your iphone 5 how u want an if you plan to keep your 5 for a while def get AC plus

Last thing you want is to hear your iphone 5 get dropped out of a shopping basket and hit the floor
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,368 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Why anyone would allow an 18 mo old to handle an iphone 5 is beyond me...

Global Posts
    23,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by TiNuts View Post
    Funny, my 12 year old isn't even allowed to touch my phone.
    My kids all know to not mess with Dad's technological toys. They know better. Besides, all except my youngest have a smartphone or an iPod to use. My youngest, with my permission, can use my iPad 2 for the purpose of playing games and watching Netflix movies & cartoons. I have restrictions enabled to where he cannot accidentally make an in-app purchase nor can he install or delete any apps. He's a good kid and I trust him with it. My iPhone, however, is generally OFF LIMITS! Period!
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 10-19-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

if you're letting your toddler play with your phone, i say definitely get a case on that sucker! never know if your child might chuck it somewhere... you know, for fun.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts

I'd definitely suggest getting an otterbox for your iPhone. Almost toddler proof.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,472 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Go for it!

"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Natemz likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Feel Free... It will be all on you in the End who is to Blame... Must be nice to be carefree enough not to worry about your phone
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Thanks everyone! After much consideration, we are keeping on of our iPhone 4s for him with a case. iPhone 5 will be off limits.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin3191 View Post
    Thanks everyone! After much consideration, we are keeping on of our iPhone 4s for him with a case. iPhone 5 will be off limits.
    Smart move

Global Posts
    7,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I've been letting my kids use my iPhone for 4 years now without a case Andy youngest is only 5. But they only use it supervised and sitting on a couch over a carpeted floor.