Otterbox defender take screen protector off or not

mikeyjayjay

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have iPhone 5S with defender case and my reason for wanting to remove outer screen protector is dust that gets in under protector causing me to have to take unit apart to clean weekly. Not a $ issue with me I like the defender case but without the protector. Just the pro's & con's of the owning the case 😀

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Every Otterbox I have owned. I take out the built in one... But I also love how I can use my own protector with the case on and no issues.

Last edited:

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I had a Defender a while back. I noticed moisture would get in between the SP and the screen causing a sort of rainbow effect on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums app

cjohnson421

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and was undecided about removing screen protector. Read the posts here and decided to REMOVE it. Took a while to get the glue out and happy with the end result. Back to my bright screen and quick touch sensitivity. Using the Verizon tempered glass protector and works great.

A few things to add..

There will be glue residue along the edges and not easy to remove it with cleaner or cloth.. Using Goo Gone will help to remove it, you dont want that sticky stuff on your phone.

I think the decision comes down to this..
If you are in a work environment that is dusty or wet sometimes then LEAVE it on. If you are either home or in your car, or office environment and don't have lots of risk with day to day elements, then remove it to get better clarity and touch sensitivity. Just have to weigh out whats more important,.

Not clear if screen can be easily re-applied, might be difficult to get glue to stay within the small edge and not smear into screen.

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I have the preserver and feel safe, it's weird I would use the apple leather case which I love but the stress level of damaging the phone from a drop makes me nuts , now with the preserver I do not worry at all now which is the way it should be.
Question though Otterbox is a top brand case why are they not in apple stores ?

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
had two of these i had a puregear screen guard from verizon put on my phone, took the screen guards off these and i cannot get the glue off ! im gonna sell the two i have see if i can get few bucks back to paranoid that if ill ruin my phone if i use them. my advice would be to leave built in on or if you want protection of defender buy one of the knock off defenders on ebay etc, i went with the commuter.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
had two of these i had a puregear screen guard from verizon put on my phone, took the screen guards off these and i cannot get the glue off ! im gonna sell the two i have see if i can get few bucks back to paranoid that if ill ruin my phone if i use them. my advice would be to leave built in on or if you want protection of defender buy one of the knock off defenders on ebay etc, i went with the commuter.
Why buy a knock off Defender? Mine works great. And prices have come down for them. I've had no issues with the built in screen protector. And Otter has the best customer service ever. Or did I not understand you?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
knock off because some if you look closely dont have the built in screen shield. thats all i know they have good customer support never said they didnt.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I had a Defender on my 4s and now my 5. Removed the built in screen protector pretty much straight away.

However, I always put another one on, just in case. Now using an SGP Clear on my 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

+1

We always remove the Otterbox built-in screen protector because it is less responsive and plasticky.

We use Bodyguardz Pure glass screen protectors and love them. :)

donemt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I take the Defender screen protector off first thing since I can't stand the feel. I have a heavy duty screen protector on my 5s from Zagg.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I wouldnt. There is a small gap between the case and the iPhone when you remove the cover and all sorts of dust and crap get caught in between. Get a LP Nuud if you want no screen protection.

Rnkriis

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
EVERY Defender case I've ever bought, it comes out of the box and the first thing i do is rip that nasty built in screen protector out. Ive always used a glass screen protector anyway and it doesn't affect the case at all.

sticko

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
On some of those for the 5c, the protective screen does not lie flush with the phone's screen. I just got one like that from Verizon. They're now out of stock, so I called Otter. They're sending me a replacement for free. I'll send the defective one back to Verizon. They're not all like that. That's part of the problem because of the gap between the protective screen and the phone's screen. But also because of the cut out hole in the protective screen for the home button. If you can return it, I'd do so and call Otter. They'll help you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has a screen protector and a defender otter box on there phone and do they have any issues

My cousin removed the built in screen on his Defender and put in a glass screen protector. Doesn't fit well on the edges. But works ok. I'm going to use the Defender on my 6s Plus. If the built in screen does not lie flush, I'll do the same.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
just throwing this out there. its not huge improvement but i got basic black one at walmart. the packaging seemed lil more how can i say different then the typical packages like new design etc. to me its not huge improvement but the protector seems have less of a gap as the defender i had when i got my 6 at launch