OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 5 Review

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Please see post #27 for an update about this case

I have had my OtterBox Defender for my iPhone 5 a couple days now and I thought I would give you all an overview of the latest OtterBox has to offer.

Let me start off by saying, it is a shame to cover such a beautiful, sexy phone. It is not something I do with light consideration. I work in a warehouse environment and I need rugged protection, especially in regards to drop protection.

I am quite familiar with OtterBox; I have used them on all of my previous devices. There have been some shortcomings with them in the past, but no issues that have not kept my phone protected.

One thing that I can tell that was improved was the silicone outer cover. It feels much more rigid than before. I know one issue I had with previous OtterBox cases was the fact that the silicone would just “give up” over time. The silicone with those cases was much softer.

Just for those who like numerical data, I have compiled information on the silicone itself. It weights approximately 1.0/1.1 ounces. It is .151” thick on the corners and .075” thick on the back.

Now the plastic hard shell seems to lock up tighter than before. There are more points at which the case snaps together. My hope with this is that it will allow very little dust if any in the case.

The data on the case I compiled is as follows. Total weight is approximately 1.5 ounces and the thickness is .550”.

OtterBox lists the weight of the case at 4.0 ounces, but my data shows a number far different with a total weight of approximately 2.5 ounces.

The plugs for the ports are quite thick and also lock in very nicely. It is almost a struggle to get them out of place. This should help reduce the amount of dust that gets in the case as well. They work nicely with the OEM headphones and lightning cable as far as accessibility.

The covers for the volume up/down and sleep/wake button work perfectly in my opinion. Minimal effort is required for the buttons to perform their specific task. This goes for the home button. However I do have an issue with the home button cutout in general.

There is a quite a defined cutout if you will for the home button. It sweeps up in a half circle direction. I think this is great for dust reduction, but my thumb keeps bumping it when I am typing in my lock code or texting in general. I just have not adjusted to it being there yet; I hope I do soon though. It is not a big issue, more of a nuisance right now. I am just not used to that being there.

I have taken pictures with flash, up close and far away and have experienced no “wash out” issues of any kind. They left a generous cutout for the back camera, however I am concerned how that will affect dust build up over time.

I have tested Siri and voice commands with the case on and it is been flawless. Siri still gives sassy replies! The same goes for the speaker and alerts – I hear them perfectly.

Operation of the screen has been extremely fluid. If there is a loss in performance or execution, I cannot notice it. I have experienced some rainbowing with the built in protector. I do not notice it when the screen is active, but I can see if when the phone is in sleep mode. I am not using a screen protector on the phone and there is no dust (that I could see) on the screen when I put the phone on. This only happens every once in awhile, but it has happened. I do know that I did not have this issue with the iPhone 4 OtterBox Defender case.

Overall I am pleased with the purchase of this case. There are some minor issues that will hopefully work themselves out in time. In the meantime I have peace of mind that my phone is well protected from all of the non-water formed elements.

I will update this review after I have had the case on longer, but I thought I might give all of you readers some insight as to what this case have to offers. I think great strides have been made overall and is a great choice when you want superior protection at the sub $50 level.

In the interest of everyone, I am not in anyway affiliated with OtterBox and I actually paid for the case. I will include a copy of my receipt in the pictures as well.

IMG_3090_zps45e436f2.jpg

IMG_3092_zpsac604e35.jpg

IMG_3093_zps0852fda9.jpg

IMG_3095_zpsad21401f.jpg

IMG_3096_zpsf55d6808.jpg

IMG_3097_zps7802ddb5.jpg

IMG_3098_zpsdf916a6d.jpg

IMG_3101_zps2282ea76.jpg

obreceipt_zps987ca858.jpg

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with every thing you said as I also have the same case so far I like it
The plastic clips are solid lol rubber is thicker and more firm

cableguy619

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I like the case and own it, but dislike at least for my case how the belt clip doesnt go in well when place iphone screen in it tends to hang up and get caught, but when facing the iphone out on the clip it glides in with no issues.

What has happened is that it has beat up my case a bit. Looking at the iphone case itself on mine look like the body on the screen side is riased a bit more than backside which is probably my issue. I already put in a ticket with Otterbox, but they will not be able to help me until Oct 21st due to high demand on the cases. So time will tell. Overall I am happy with the case, just a minor flaw with belt clip.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Great review! I am using the same case too on my iPhone and love the new silicon cover. As you pointed out it's much more rigid and will probably hold up a lot longer than the previous covers.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I noticed today that the "rainbowing effect" is much more prevalent today. It's kinda irking me a bit.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks for the comments! I really sure try and do video reviews, but I like to use my dSLR and take photos.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed today that the "rainbowing effect" is much more prevalent today. It's kinda irking me a bit.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks for the comments! I really sure try and do video reviews, but I like to use my dSLR and take photos.

No rainbow effect maybe take it out and clean and put back ?
I do that time to time
I did notice the ear opening and camera open collect dust pretty easy but do keep it from going to screen area

My only gripe and its just me is texting near the edges and thumbs hit the side sometime messing me up but it has been like that for all otterbox defenders and its just me that has to adjust

Overall Pretty solid
One of my friends was messing with me when he asks to see my iPhone he acted like he was gonna drop it I didn't even flinch cuz I know this case has that covered

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I ordered a Defender and it's been in my iP5 since I got it on the 21st. Hated the Defender for the 4S - found it too bulky. But with the 5 being so thin and the redesign with the better fit and finish and quite pleased with the Defenser on the 5. I have a Commuter incoming as well, to have something a bit slimmer but I might just stick with the Defender full time. I'm thinking about resale for next year ;)

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
No rainbow effect maybe take it out and clean and put back ?
I do that time to time
I did notice the ear opening and camera open collect dust pretty easy but do keep it from going to screen area

My only gripe and its just me is texting near the edges and thumbs hit the side sometime messing me up but it has been like that for all otterbox defenders and its just me that has to adjust

Overall Pretty solid
One of my friends was messing with me when he asks to see my iPhone he acted like he was gonna drop it I didn't even flinch cuz I know this case has that covered

I've never had issues texting near the edge. It's the home button region that has been tripping me up.

I have taken it on and off and sometimes it still comes back with the rainbowing. Going to try it again here in a second.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've never had issues texting near the edge. It's the home button region that has been tripping me up.

I have taken it on and off and sometimes it still comes back with the rainbowing. Going to try it again here in a second.

I think I just have fat thumbs lol

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if the Lightning to 30 pin adapter will work with the Otterbox Defender? I've been wondering what the bottom of the case looked like (the Otterbox site doesn't show the bottom of the case). I think the adapter is approximately the same width as the 30 pin plug...

anon(114490)

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know this as well. I have the defender but removed the included screen protector and had a zagg hd invisible shield put on. Seems to work well so far. Love how it slides in and out of the pocket better than previous defenders.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if the Lightning to 30 pin adapter will work with the Otterbox Defender? I've been wondering what the bottom of the case looked like (the Otterbox site doesn't show the bottom of the case). I think the adapter is approximately the same width as the 30 pin plug...

I looks like it will fit but I don't have one to test for you

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Pel, do you have an old 30 pin cable still? The adapter is the exact same width as the old cable, so if the white portion of the connector fits into the opening I think the adapter should too!

Just checked the 30 pin cable white part does not fit so that adapter from looks will not fit you may have to get the adapter that Is a cable vs just one solid piece

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
The new case is pretty nice. I kind of miss the rubbery feel of the last one but the new one seems to be better quality. Most people say they don't want the bulk. I actually like it. Big fan of Otterbox products.

I'm a bit ticked at FedEx. Mine was shipped last Wednesday with an ETA of today, now it's moved to tomorrow. If I had known it was going to take so long I would have paid more for shipping. I'm worried I'm going to gouge the aluminum.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The new case is pretty nice. I kind of miss the rubbery feel of the last one but the new one seems to be better quality. Most people say they don't want the bulk. I actually like it. Big fan of Otterbox products.

I too buy Otterbox products because they add some bulk. I want to know that my phone is there and Otterbox has been great on my iPhone 4 so getting one for the 5 was a no brainer.

Jtsarby

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Another plus for the added bulk. My hands are somewhat large. I like the look of the new defender better as well. Seems a bit more refined.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods