OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 5 Review

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I came up with a solution to the otterbox scratching the front glass problem without using a screen protector under the otterbox screen protector and without having to tear out the otterbox one. Take a cheap eBay screen protector and mark the top of it down to the edge of the actual display and cut straight across and install it. Do the same for the bottom half. Only leave the actual screen part exposed. The otterbox screen protector will sit right down completely flush on the screen and your glass will be protected from that ring around the speaker/FaceTime camera and nicks from the case. You can't even tell they're there. I tried installing a screen protector under the otterbox one and it killed touch sensitivity. Tearing it out makes the case flimsy on the sides. This works really well. Sorry for the typos/grammar. :)

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had any of the issues that others are having with this case yet. The phone seems indestructible with the case on. This is the first time I have used an Otterbox for my phone, but so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any of the issues that others are having with this case yet. The phone seems indestructible with the case on. This is the first time I have used an Otterbox for my phone, but so far so good.

This version is much better than the 4/4S version

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Ya it has a rubber composite, but much stronger then previous models...

Once it's on it's literately a PITA to take off...

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I keep seeing reports that the Defender case is scratching people's phones. I haven't had that, well at least not yet.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I keep seeing reports that the Defender case is scratching people's phones. I haven't had that, well at least not yet.

Hard plastic up against glass/painted metal... Just a matter of time. All it takes is a small amount of dirt or dust to get in between the case and the phone. That's the main reason I feel otterbox is overrated as being the "most protective"...If the case itself scratches my phone, how on earth could that be labeled as the most protective? ?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hard plastic up against glass/painted metal... Just a matter of time. All it takes is a small amount of dirt or dust to get in between the case and the phone. That's the main reason I feel otterbox is overrated as being the "most protective"...If the case itself scratches my phone, how on earth could that be labeled as the most protective? ?

But wouldn't that be any case then?

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
But wouldn't that be any case then?

Nope...Griffin survivor was better IMO, no hard plastic sandwiched up against the face of the phone like the defender..and it's sealed against dust so it's not an issue anyway. Lifeproof is sealed and doesn't have hard plastic up against the face of the phone either, and again is sealed so it's not an issue with dust or dirt. Seidio convert relies on a separate screen protector for the face and has felt on the back so no real issue there either. I tried 5-6 different defenders and almost every one even moved around slightly inside the case making the problem even worse. Dust can get in behind the built in screen protector and scratch the phone when it moves inside the case.

Those are just examples of ones I tried that have belt clips... There are countless others that don't include belt clips that have silicone or something similar up against the surface of the phone to prevent scratches.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Mine doesn't really move inside the case. I have taken my case off numerous times and haven't seen any scratches. I surely don't want my case to scratch my phone but I haven't seen it yet. Are we talking big scratches or small scratches?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I call bs. You can have your phone in your pocket with dirt and scratch your phone. Unless your in a clean room when you put your case on you'll have some sort of dust or dirt in there somewhere.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to have to pull my recommendation for the OtterBox Defender. I took the phone out of the case to wipe it down and I found a coupe scratches and gouges on the screen that I cannot get to wipe away. I am extremely disappointed.

As most of you know the case also attracts a lot of dust and such. I have taken pictures of the dust, and I'll post them below...also of the nicks/scratches that are now present on my phone.

Here is the dust after only a day or two of use:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb467/LSglock89/IMG_3139.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb467/LSglock89/IMG_3140.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb467/LSglock89/IMG_3141.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb467/LSglock89/IMG_3142.jpg

And here are the nicks/scratches to the left and right of the Home button:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb467/LSglock89/IMG_3204.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb467/LSglock89/IMG_3205.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb467/LSglock89/IMG_3207.jpg

Based on the update in post 27 I took mine off as well and had the same gouges down on either side of the home button and one right under the earpiece. Thankfully I had replaced the built in screen protector with a 3rd party one, but off the Otterbox went. I don't want to risk it eventually gouging through the screen shield and scratching the glass. Back to Speck Candyshell for now.

Noticed the same thing! I returned it for a refund.

Arrrrgh! I should not have read this thread. My phone has been in a defender since day one. I took it off and have the same marks beside the home button. Not bad but unacceptable from a case that is supposed to protect it from scratches.

Call me crazy if you want, but it has happened and personally I'd rather not risk it...that's a HUGE drawback of a case IMO, let alone one that is supposed to be PROTECTING your phone.

DoubleEagle

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I returned my first one to best buy. I thought I would give otter box one my try, so I bought the real tree camo defender and the fit is awesome. Glad I gave it another go because I really like the protection it gives.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Call me crazy if you want, but it has happened and personally I'd rather not risk it...that's a HUGE drawback of a case IMO, let alone one that is supposed to be PROTECTING your phone.

That makes me nervous to have the case on my phone.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just took the Otterbox Defender back and got the Griffin Survivor. Fits snugly and covers all ports. Checked my phone thoroughly after taking off the Otterbox. No scratches but a lot of dust.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Just took the Otterbox Defender back and got the Griffin Survivor. Fits snugly and covers all ports. Checked my phone thoroughly after taking off the Otterbox. No scratches but a lot of dust.

I loved my survivor when I had my iPhone ... The only thing I didn't care for was the belt clip, but I ended up getting use to it