OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 5 Review

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
i would really prefer if they fully covered the back instead of that hole to show the apple logo

I actually prefer the cutout...I wish more cases would do it.

However I wish they put the clear plastic behind the hole on the commuter case like they do on the defender series.

DrConcrete

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced wear of the outer case near the hard "notch" where the belt clip locks in? My case is looking quite worn there after only a week on the phone.

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the otterbox defender and have not experienced any scratches or issues with fading. I have the blue with the lime look must say happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Jtsarby

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Arrrrgh! I should not have read this thread. My phone has been in a defender since day one. I took it off and have the same marks beside the home button. Not bad but unacceptable from a case that is supposed to protect it from scratches.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree.

I'll probably get over it...but especially since it seems to be a quality issue on their end...it gets me a little upset.

Zach7

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the follow up! Hopefully Otterbox will re-design this. I know that with my 4s i use a Zagg HD case friendly screen protector underneath my Otterbox Defender and it still works great. May keep the home button scratches away until OB fixes the problem.

anon(1458)

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info and pics of the case. Had one in the past on older models and this one definitely looks a bit better quality than the ones in the past.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info and pics of the case. Had one in the past on older models and this one definitely looks a bit better quality than the ones in the past.

Overall quality does seen to be a lot better.

By the way...Otterbox is shipping me a new case free of any charge.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
So I tried a new Defender and the new one doesn't seem to make marks like the first one I bought. But I couldn't stand the "oil slick" the built in screen protector caused. I put on a Power Support HD anti glare film on and then the Defender and now it's perfect. No more oil slick/rainbow effect.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
So I tried a new Defender and the new one doesn't seem to make marks like the first one I bought. But I couldn't stand the "oil slick" the built in screen protector caused. I put on a Power Support HD anti glare film on and then the Defender and now it's perfect. No more oil slick/rainbow effect.

Yes I have the newest one...and it seems okay. But the rainbow effect sucks too.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing when i put it in the belt clip screen in. It has wrinkled the rubber around the slot where the belt clip is suppose to catch on the harder inside case. I also have some rainbowing at times but in spots. i don't know what causes it or if its hurting anything with the screen. i took it apart one time thinking it needed cleaning but it did the same thing again. How do I get in touch with otterbox and see if they can do anything for me?

Thanks

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing when i put it in the belt clip screen in. It has wrinkled the rubber around the slot where the belt clip is suppose to catch on the harder inside case. I also have some rainbowing at times but in spots. i don't know what causes it or if its hurting anything with the screen. i took it apart one time thinking it needed cleaning but it did the same thing again. How do I get in touch with otterbox and see if they can do anything for me?

Thanks

Contact OtterBox Customer Service Today! // OtterBox.com

Give this link a try.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I bought mine from amazon and i sent otterbox a note just now to see what if anything they will do for me. I have till january 31 to return to amazon. we will see

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
i filled out the note on the website with all the requested info. Will that suffice ? hopefully that will respond to me

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the otterbox defender for the iPhone 5 and I was ok with it at first. After a couple of days the rubber where the belt clip fit over begin to wrinkle up and made it impossible to use it with the belt clip. The little thin piece of rubber eventually broke into and so I ended up with 2 loose ends flapping. Anyway I must say that the otter box customer service was top notch and offered to replacement with no questions asked. That being said after I had the chance to see,touch feel some friends otterbox cases for their model 4 and 4s I could not believe how much the quality of material and workmanship of the case for the iPhone 5 had diminished from their cases for previous model iPhones. Once I saw how loose fitting and degrade of material I opted to return it to place of purchase for a refund. I didn't think a replacement would be any better at this time. I have put a Incipio on it for now but thats just till I find something better. It pains me to have to say this about the otterbox but its the truth. I hope they start making a different case for the iphone 5 that will get back to the quality they had before.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
That being said after I had the chance to see,touch feel some friends otterbox cases for their model 4 and 4s I could not believe how much the quality of material and workmanship of the case for the iPhone 5 had diminished from their cases for previous model iPhones. .

Really? I mean, I'm no huge fan of otterbox by any means but you are probably about the only person with that opinion. Lol. The new cases are decent to me where the older ones were complete crap IMO. I still think the defender is the most over hyped case out there though. How can a case that is supposedly the most protective out there in many people's opinion really "protect" the phone and have hard plastic with sharp edges right up against the surface of the screen?? Makes no sense to me, but people keep buying em up

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Really? I mean, I'm no huge fan of otterbox by any means but you are probably about the only person with that opinion. Lol. The new cases are decent to me where the older ones were complete crap IMO. I still think the defender is the most over hyped case out there though. How can a case that is supposedly the most protective out there in many people's opinion really "protect" the phone and have hard plastic with sharp edges right up against the surface of the screen?? Makes no sense to me, but people keep buying em up

Yeah that surprises me...I'd say this case is the best in terms of quality...EXCEPT for the issue I had. My friend has one for the 4S and the silicone has all pulled away etc. The silicone now is a lot more rigid now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal