Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    3,846 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Default Anyone have a serious issue with the headphone jack being at the bottom?

Haven't seen much discussion about this. But those of us who use our iPhones as our primary music
    players; does it bother you that the headphone jack is at the bottom? I know I'll eventually be getting
    this phone. Just sucks that the jack is located at the bottom. I used to hate using an iPod touch at the
    gym or in my car since I use the auxiliary cable and set the phone in my cup holder.

Anyone else not like this?

Global Posts
    21,273 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Like everything else, people will get used to it. Still, I prefer the headphones jack to be at the top and don't understand the logic in putting it on the bottom.
    General Tso likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Global Posts
    3,846 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Like everything else, people will get used to it. Still, I prefer the headphones jack to be at the top and don't understand the logic in putting it on the bottom.
    Looking at pictures makes me think they just had a bit more real estate for a 3.5mm jack at the bottom.
    The faceplate seems to be slightly longer going from bottom to screen then it does at the top going from
    top to screen. I think the smaller dock connector has much to do with this too.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Yeah, it's a personal preference. I had the Galaxy Nexus for a few months and actually loved the jack being on the bottom. It's natural to put the phone in my pocket top-down, so I didn't have to alter my normal routine when listening to music.

Global Posts
    21,273 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by easyrun99 View Post
    Yeah, it's a personal preference. I had the Galaxy Nexus for a few months and actually loved the jack being on the bottom. It's natural to put the phone in my pocket top-down, so I didn't have to alter my normal routine when listening to music.
    I see your point.

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 8

Exactly the same reason for me too. I use the indent where the Home button is to help lift the phone out of my pocket, meaning it always goes in upside down. Headphone jack at the bottom means I don't have to alter my routine either.

Global Posts
    21,273 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    Looking at pictures makes me think they just had a bit more real estate for a 3.5mm jack at the bottom.
    The faceplate seems to be slightly longer going from bottom to screen then it does at the top going from
    top to screen. I think the smaller dock connector has much to do with this too.
    You may very well be right.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I like the change to the bottom. I have a spot in my console of my car that I keep my phone in and with the jack at the bottom I can have the phone plugged into the charger and have the 3.5mm plugged into my car stereo dash. I will stream Pandora, or listen to music stored on my phone while driving and the phone will slide neatly into the slot in my console with both cable coming out of the bottom. I know that's not going to help those that prefer it at the top, but I do like the change.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

I like the bottom. When I'm at the gym I put my phone in top side down. So the wired would often get tangled or a caught up when trying to get the phone outta pocket. Didn't have that problem on the nexus. And gives me a couple inches in length for the cord.
    Mobile Devices: LG G2
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini
    iPhone Newbie

It's better on the bottom, you put your phone in your pocket top side down, so when you pull it out to talk or type it's right side up. So it makes sense to have the jack on the bottom.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    5.0.1|6.0

i hate change.... so i hate that its on the bottum

haha ill get used to it tho
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,460 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Haven't seen much discussion about this. But those of us who use our iPhones as our primary music
    players; does it bother you that the headphone jack is at the bottom? I know I'll eventually be getting
    this phone. Just sucks that the jack is located at the bottom. I used to hate using an iPod touch at the
    gym or in my car since I use the auxiliary cable and set the phone in my cup holder.

I was annoyed when I first got my Galaxy Nexus about the jack being on the bottom. But after using it for awhile I found I actually prefer it on the bottom now. Like others have said, I too put my phone in my pocket top down so it ends up being more natural for me. I didn't know what I was missing out on.

Don't knock it before you try it.
    Last edited by sting7k; 09-20-2012 at 02:34 PM.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Global Posts
    3,846 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I was annoyed when I first got my Galaxy Nexus about the jack being on the bottom. But after using it for awhile I found I actually prefer it on the bottom now. Like others have said, I too put my phone in my pocket top down so it ends up being more natural for me. I didn't know what I was missing out on.

I just don't ever listen to music with the phone in my pocket. Ever.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,204 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post

^This

Thats exactly how I was. In fact I even activated my GNex last night to get some 4G goodness when I was out and about and liked how my jack was at the bottom. Different strokes for different folks

Not only do I like it getting switched the bottom for the same reason others have mentioned, my tendency to place my phone upside down in my pocket, but I also like that when I have my phone charging at my desk, I dont have my charger cord running out of the bottom and my headphones cord running out of the top. It ends up a tangled mess.

Its the little things....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,066 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I feel like it might be hard to hold and text while listening to music... But it's not enough of a problem to make the phone any less awesome.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Im with a few of the others when I say I actually prefer it at the bottom. I remember when I had the 3rd generation iPod touch and I believe it was located on the bottom of that as well. I dont use an aux cable either as my car has bluetooth and most of my external devices are. Im actually kind of excited for it to go back to the bottom just for the fact that I can plop it down in my pocket and go with the cable for the headphones coming out naturally. To be honest, and this may sound crazy, but I have actually had trouble with my headphones in the past because of the connector being pinched trying to come out of my pocket upside down. Personal preference as always but a welcome change for me.
    "Not at the table, Carlos."
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I agree, i use my iPhone the same way, & also wish they left the jack on the top. Or sometimes I think they should have two, one in each direction, but that's not going to happen.

How I pocket my phone doesn't matter to me because I only use Bluetooth headphones.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

I think another reason is that because the new connector is smaller and more fragile than the older one. So with the headphone jack it makes it more stronger to use it with docks and other accessories.
    iPhone Experts

iOS Version

Don't like it there. Had Apple products with it on the top and bottom and much prefer top.
    iPhone 5 16GB / 21.5" iMac. 3.06GHz OSX Mountain Lion/ Apple TV 2nd Gen/ iPad Gen2, 16GB.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Global Posts
    3,846 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

And in reply to the "Don't knock it until you try it" references. I did try it with an iPod touch and I absolutely hated it lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

First World Problems
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

This is what I'm looking forward to trying. I'm used to it being on the top. If it makes it easier to be in my pocket I'll love it.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

I always end up flipping my phone upside down when it's sitting at my desk and I'm listening to a podcast. In my car it's next to me or in a seat but when the new car mounts come out I will be getting one. I don't mind the jack on the bottom at all.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I also wasn't thrilled with it being on the bottom because my old iPod touch had the jack on the bottom and I never liked it, so when i got my iPhone 4 I liked it being in top. I def will miss it on top but im sure I'll get used to it.

I also assumed they moved it to the bottom simply because that's where they had room for it. With making the phone thinner and the screen taller and tweaking the insides, they probably had to relocate it for efficiency and all
    iPod Touch 3rd generation 8GB
    iPhone 4 32 GB
    iPhone 5 32 GB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast