iPhone 5 Cases

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
"Platinum Perfected Case Chemistry" holster case

I just bought this case from "Platinum Perfected Case Chemistry" at Best Buy for $35 plus tax:

Platinum Series - Case with Holster for Apple? iPhone? 5 - Black - APC22SB

It feels great and does basic protection; it also has a great holster mechanism. Simple and easy to use, holds the phone securely so far.

I had a Otterbox Defender for my 4S and, although the protection was great, I went through 2 cases as the material falls apart in time. It's also very bulky. I tried going naked with the 5 since yesterday, but today had to get at least some minimal protection. Plus, I'm a holster guy, using them from way back in the Treo and Palm Pre days.

I should note that I had my Sprint rep install a Zagg Invisible shield before I left the store yesterday, so, even though this case does not cover the screen, the 5's screen is protected.

Might find something better down the road, but, I don't know, this seems to be what I was looking for--just hard to believe I found it already and so easily!

r.soto95

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Belkin Grip Candy Sheer

I highly suggest the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. It feels amazing and made of a gel like material! The colors look great, and bold. Bought it from Best Buy yesterday, and I can't seem to find it onine yet. Barely adds weight, and just looks sleek.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 404
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 392

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the new bookbook but I went with a otterbox defender .. I have used them on a 3GS up to now the 5

The 5 is by far the best one yet the plastic it locks in it snug and actually kind of difficult to get apart lol
The rubber is stronger and holds on place way better and the changes how it covers the home button only now and rest is the plastic

Only thing I have noticed it the ear opening and camera opening collect dust easy but other than that this thing is solid and it's not as bulky as the previous

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
$10 black bumper (amazon.com) and a clear screen protector for the BACK of iPhone5 (if anything is gonna scratch up on this thing, it's the metal). Front glass is naked.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the new bookbook but I went with a otterbox defender .. I have used them on a 3GS up to now the 5

The 5 is by far the best one yet the plastic it locks in it snug and actually kind of difficult to get apart lol
The rubber is stronger and holds on place way better and the changes how it covers the home button only now and rest is the plastic

Only thing I have noticed it the ear opening and camera opening collect dust easy but other than that this thing is solid and it's not as bulky as the previous

I'm definitely getting the new Bookbook when it com out. I loved that case for the 4S.
I'm looking for a nice Speck candy shell case till then.
:D

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy has specks. I picked up a Burton one until my bumper comes next week, and than the wait for a BookBook. Hopefully they added a camera cutout this time around.

uc4life

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Platinum Perfected Case Chemistry" holster case

I just bought this case from "Platinum Perfected Case Chemistry" at Best Buy for $35 plus tax:

Platinum Series - Case with Holster for Apple? iPhone? 5 - Black - APC22SB

It feels great and does basic protection; it also has a great holster mechanism. Simple and easy to use, holds the phone securely so far.

I had a Otterbox Defender for my 4S and, although the protection was great, I went through 2 cases as the material falls apart in time. It's also very bulky. I tried going naked with the 5 since yesterday, but today had to get at least some minimal protection. Plus, I'm a holster guy, using them from way back in the Treo and Palm Pre days.

I should note that I had my Sprint rep install a Zagg Invisible shield before I left the store yesterday, so, even though this case does not cover the screen, the 5's screen is protected.

Might find something better down the road, but, I don't know, this seems to be what I was looking for--just hard to believe I found it already and so easily!

I ordered the same case from best buy it was on back order but it was available as an In store pickup. I order the one with the kickstand. It's a rebranded seido case, but cheaper than odering from seido direct. The case is slim lightweight and nicely textured. I like the metal kickstand sturdy and the nostalgia from my Evo days lol. I also went with the zagg extreme case friendly screen protecter. I don't know if it's necessary but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. I really like the sleek minimalist approach while providing belt clip. Overall the case does not add much bulk and I didn't have to wait for shipping. Protected since day 1.

andsoitgoes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I had to get a case, everything around me just said "Muahahah, set it down on me and you shall see the true meaning of scratches!!" I think the living in a dusty house just increases that risk.

But regardless, I grabbed a decent $20 case from Future Shop (it's a sister company to Best Buy in Canada)

http://store.griffintechnology.com/protector-case-for-iphone-5

Here's a French site with pics:

http://www.macway.com/fr/product/25950/griffin-protector-noir-coque-pour-iphone-5.html

Now I'm a guy who has ALWAYS used an Otterbox Defender. I got it for my 4 and I swear my phone looks stellar, but it honestly made it look like a tank, it makes it weigh a ton and even with a 20% difference, it's like the 4 was a brick.

I decided I would get the AppleCare + and reduce my case. I honestly can't put up with the size any longer. I've the Ballistic SG on order and I'm more than happy with this case until then.

It's VERY simple and nothing fancy at all, but it feels great and I feel comfortable with it, surprisingly. It's pricey, seeing that these cases usually go for under $10, but for being an early adopter it's the price we pay.

I tried the Speck Candyshell and I wasn't impressed. It was TOOOOO tight. I honestly thought I was going to scratch the hell out of I when I took it out. So I said hell no, I will stick with this until I get the SG.

Anyone hear anything about the Ballistic cases? I haven't heard a mouse fart about their status.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Platinum Perfected Case Chemistry" holster case

I ordered the same case from best buy it was on back order but it was available as an In store pickup. I order the one with the kickstand. It's a rebranded seido case, but cheaper than odering from seido direct. The case is slim lightweight and nicely textured. I like the metal kickstand sturdy and the nostalgia from my Evo days lol. I also went with the zagg extreme case friendly screen protecter. I don't know if it's necessary but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. I really like the sleek minimalist approach while providing belt clip. Overall the case does not add much bulk and I didn't have to wait for shipping. Protected since day 1.

There's one with a kickstand?! Whoa! I missed that one! Guess I'll be going back to Best Buy to check it out, thanks!

EDIT: Went to Best Buy tonight and exchanged the standard case for the one with the Kickstand and it's great! I'm often in a situation where I want to read with the iPhone and having a built in stand will really be a nice feature.

Thanks, Uc4life, for the heads up!!

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I want a book book as well. I wonder when it's going to be out. Any news on it yet?

I'm definitely getting the new Bookbook when it com out. I loved that case for the 4S.
I'm looking for a nice Speck candy shell case till then.
:D

I'm waiting for the new bookbook....

I have the BookBook for my 4S and absolutely LOVE it also, so much, that i emailed TwelveSouth in regards to the bookBook for the i5, because i'm planning ahead to get one for when i get the i5 as well:) Heres my response from my email to them:
Hello xxxxxxxx,
Thank you for the nice email, and especially for your previous BookBook purchase! Despite what anyone says, repeated purchases are the sincerest form of flattery! ;-)

Although I can assure you that we have started designing a BookBook for iPhone 5, it is too soon for us to make any predictions about its design or when it will be available - there are simply too many unforeseen changes that could occur in the development, manufacturing, and shipping phases, and we never want to make promises we can't keep.

Since we cannot reliably predict what Apple may offer before they actually make their announcements, we always have to wait to start production. Once we actually get our hands on their new devices, we can start manufacturing our products to support theirs. And since we want our products to be perfect in fit and performance, we’re never first to market, but we’re usually one of the best once we arrive.

I wish I could be more informative, but please know that we'll work as hard as we can to get the best possible product to you as quickly as we can.

Thanks so much for taking the time to email us. We really appreciate your interest and support.
Cheers!
Bridget

Twelve South Support

andsoitgoes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Huh. So I weighed the Griffin case. Holy poop that thing is 40 grams!! No wonder my wife didn't notice a ton of difference between my iPhone 4!

Ugh. So back to the drawing board. I either get the Ballistic Smooth series, or I grab the ZeromChroma vario case that has a kick stand and weighs JUST an ounce.

Zero Chroma

It doesn't launch until the 28th.

So, do I order the Ballistic super light bumper case? Do I weight and order the Zerochroma case? Or, do I order both? ;)

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Pretty nice looking case. Rocking the Amazon 10$ bumper by Phol....something haha. Waiting for the BookBook! Hurry up Twelvesouth DAMMIT. Once that comes out I might order a slick wrap since I'll probably end up removing the phone from the BookBook while using sometimes.

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
I just grabbed a Speck Candy Shell Grip at the AT&T store. White with black grips. I really like it. I was afraid it would add too much bulk, but surprisingly it doesn't. Feels good in the hand and slides in and out of pants pockets with ease. At $38 plus tax a little pricey, but I'm very happy with it.