The 30 pin to 9 pin adapter from Apple...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else extremely disappointed in the adapter Apple created? Maybe it's just me, but I was expecting what looked like a "Lightning" cable on one side (same width and look as the USB cable) and then an expanded bottom for the 30 pin connector. Basically a capital T upside down. I was really surprised and disappointed with what they put together and $30 - thanks, Apple, I won't be able to sit down for a week.

Also, before anyone else starts - I know there will be a variety of 3rd party adapters in many different styles and prices... Just wanted to see what everyone else thought of the adapter...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else extremely disappointed in the adapter Apple created? Maybe it's just me, but I was expecting what looked like a "Lightning" cable on one side (same width and look as the USB cable) and then an expanded bottom for the 30 pin connector. Basically a capital T upside down. I was really surprised and disappointed with what they put together and $30 - thanks, Apple, I won't be able to sit down for a week.

Also, before anyone else starts - I know there will be a variety of 3rd party adapters in many different styles and prices... Just wanted to see what everyone else thought of the adapter...

It's a non-issue to me. My older iDevices will use the old cables... the new ones will use the new cables... I don't have anything that required a converter/adapter...

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
The reports I've read claim that there will initially be no 3rd-party adapters, which is unfortunate. I see at apple.com that they have two adapters, one $29 and one $39, neither available until October.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I was expecting what looked like a "Lightning" cable on one side (same width and look as the USB cable) and then an expanded bottom for the 30 pin connector. Basically a capital T upside down.

Do you mean like this?
MD824

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I cant believe its so expensive- I know its Apple but still- I am sure there will be 3rd party ones just not right away...

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It's called the "Apple Tax". Bend over and take it like a man......if that's even possible.

I'd like to say I'm surprised at the $30 price point, but I'm really not.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It's a non-issue to me. My older iDevices will use the old cables... the new ones will use the new cables... I don't have anything that required a converter/adapter...

I just got an iHome for my birthday and I love it... That's really the only accessory I am concerned about keeping...

That's the idea - basically want to combine that with the small $29 adapter... I think I might end up picking that cable up though... It won't limit me as to what case I can have on my phone and still use the iHome... Thanks for the heads up!!

Dahlen

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I have been loading off buying an docking station as I figured that the speculation that adapters would be ten bucks were far too good to be true. After seeing the ridiculous thirty dollar price tag, I am glad I held off and will wait until third-party adapters are available and will just listen to my music through that beautiful lil' buggers tiny speakers.