Jambox- soured me on iMore's advice

Exechobo

Sep 25, 2010
exechobo.com
I consider the iMore gang to be among the best in the business- top notch. So, when they raved on the podcast about the Jambox, I put it on my wish list. Today, I was in Seattle, so went to an Apple store and bought one. Got it hooked up, used it, it was great. Perfect as a conference call device.

Then, I tried to update the software, per the Jambox website, and the darn thing bricked!

I went to the forums for help, and learned that this is not unusual, and is one of several terminal issues that turn the Jambox into a paperweight.

Shame on me, I bought it solely on the advice of iMore, without my usual rigorous research.

Does anyone here have the same experience?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I consider the iMore gang to be among the best in the business- top notch. So, when they raved on the podcast about the Jambox, I put it on my wish list. Today, I was in Seattle, so went to an Apple store and bought one. Got it hooked up, used it, it was great. Perfect as a conference call device.

Then, I tried to update the software, per the Jambox website, and the darn thing bricked!

I went to the forums for help, and learned that this is not unusual, and is one of several terminal issues that turn the Jambox into a paperweight.

Shame on me, I bought it solely on the advice of iMore, without my usual rigorous research.

Does anyone here have the same experience?

So you're upset about a review of a product you admittedly liked, because you got a faulty product? Have it replaced, I'm positive that the manufacturer will be only too happy to replace your defective product at no charge.

Exechobo

Sep 25, 2010
exechobo.com
Yeah, no prob. Good insight, I never thought of returning it. In all my 60 years, I have never seen a product not work, and have to be returned. So your insight is a real help.

But the point is, I love iMore so much, I take their advice without cross checking, and while a few iPhone apps are one thing, this is a $200 piece of kit, so I should have done my usual research. I feel like a schmuk, and feel let down by iMore- the Jambox forums are full of complaints about the darn thing bricking with any software update- many more than an odd occurance. You would think the great people at iMore would have done a software update? If so, they were luckier than I.

Returning this is a drive of 5 hours total, so while its easy to say, its costly to do.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
this is a $200 piece of kit

Maybe it's just me... but I ignore reviews when I'm spending this much money and practice due diligence... which you say you usually do, but didn't just this once - and the #fail someone else's fault. Sorry. Not buying it.

Exechobo

Sep 25, 2010
exechobo.com
Oh kch50428, Did I blame someone else? I thought I just expressed disappointment that for once I had acted on the advice of one source, and it was a mistake. Note, my post says: "I acted"- my responsibility for my actions. Totally my fault. "the #fail someone else's fault" comes from you, not me. But, I reserve the right to be disappointed in iMore, and point out when they fall short, as a supporter, customer, and reader.

One should always be circumspect about reviews. Sadly, even with iMore. Who I still love as entertainment. All the podcasts, forums, news feeds, tweets. If you think I am selling you something, you inferred meaning that was not implied. Or implied meaning that was not inferred. One of those.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73