Slider keyboard cases

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, there are a few on the market, it's not that i really have trouble with apples virtual keyboard, I just prefer physical keyboards. I've had issues with android physical keyboards (G2, HTC Merge, etc) but never with BlackBerry's. So my main question is, what is the best keyboard case for iPhone?

Typed into life using Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so after researching cases (which is rather difficult), I picked up the newest version of the Boxwave Keyboard Buddy. It has its pros and cons, I will be writing a review of it and posting it to my Word Press account. If anyone would like to read it, let me know and I'll post the link in this thread.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan of it, the keys aren't high enough, the bottom row isn't offset and it's too blocky like on all landscape slider phones. No good for someone with small hands like mine. Other than it's a great case.

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so on the fence about getting a keyboard. The boxwave WAS on my radar. Have you already tried the new one? Very interested in your feedback ...

Scarlet

Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk ;).

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well let me put it this way, if you've used any phone like the G2 HTC Merge or any of the Moto Droids, you'll like the keyboard. It has the same general layout, but it doesn't have predictive text or auto caps or anything like that, you can actually find a few video reviews of the BoxWave on YouTube.

Reactions: 3under2

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have looked at several reviews for the boxwave, but haven't pulled the trigger yet :(. I just can't seem to make a decision. Typing lots of text with long nails can be somewhat of a pain ...

Thanks for your input.

Scarlet

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I ended up ordering the Nuu ... Excited to see how it fares ...

Scarlet

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
don't those make the phone bulky? any effect on battery life?

I didn't notice any major difference in battery life, but of you're a heavy user then it would make a bigger difference. And yes, it adds bulk and weight, it doubles both, at least the BoxWave does.

Aus dem geist der giesteskranken

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I got the keyboard today. Three words ... I hate it :(.

rrife

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a keyboard case for my wife, but it needs to turn itself off when it is closed so the on screen keyboard will work when it's in portrait mode....anybody have any suggestions? I've tried a few but they basically stay on all the time when they in an unusable state (doesn't make sense). Seems like there could be a market to build a better (thinner) keyboard case.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have seen some of the keyboard cases on eBay and they have looked interesting. But the on screen keyboard for the iPhone is so good that I never considered using an accessory keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a keyboard case for my wife, but it needs to turn itself off when it is closed so the on screen keyboard will work when it's in portrait mode....anybody have any suggestions? I've tried a few but they basically stay on all the time when they in an unusable state (doesn't make sense). Seems like there could be a market to build a better (thinner) keyboard case.

Well, the BoxWave gives you the option to bring up the virtual keyboard with a keyboard button they have. But it does stay on all the time. And you can still use the BoxWave keyboard with the virtual one brought up.

"The grandest irony of all is ego. Mans need for attention. But if man shifted his attention on everyone else, everyone's ego would be satisfied." - Me

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If you want physical keys on your iphone, the BEST option is the Nuu minikey. Keys have back lighting, slider is solid, and it has a nice feel to it. All the BoxWave one's are just really poorly made. If you really want a keyboard case, look for a leather flip case with keyboard attachment. They are not as tick as the Nuu or BoxWave cases and you can easily use the phone without having a massive keyboard attached to it.

Here are some alternatives I have found:

TypeTop Bluetooth Mini Keyboard Case for iPhone 4 could be yours for 30 GBP

NUU MiniKey Keyboard for iPhone 4/4S | NUU

inature

Amazon.com: Dobi Design Apple iPhone 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Case with Stand: Computers & Accessories

Spike: Real Keyboards and Protective Cases for the iPhone by Cody and Robert Solomon + SoloMatrix — Kickstarter

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If you want physical keys on your iphone, the BEST option is the Nuu minikey. Keys have back lighting, slider is solid, and it has a nice feel to it. All the BoxWave one's are just really poorly made. If you really want a keyboard case, look for a leather flip case with keyboard attachment. They are not as tick as the Nuu or BoxWave cases and you can easily use the phone without having a massive keyboard attached to it.

Here are some alternatives I have found:

TypeTop Bluetooth Mini Keyboard Case for iPhone 4 could be yours for 30 GBP

NUU MiniKey Keyboard for iPhone 4/4S | NUU

inature

Amazon.com: Dobi Design Apple iPhone 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Case with Stand: Computers & Accessories

Spike: Real Keyboards and Protective Cases for the iPhone by Cody and Robert Solomon + SoloMatrix ? Kickstarter

The newest version of the BoxWave that I know and that I have has backlit keys. It also has the most solid sliding mechanism. Based off of videos of course. But I am still interested in others.

"The grandest irony of all is ego. Mans need for attention. But if man shifted his attention on everyone else, everyone's ego would be satisfied." - Me

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Metllica: Have you ever looked at this Kickstarter project: Spike: Real Keyboards and Protective Cases for the iPhone by Cody and Robert Solomon + SoloMatrix — Kickstarter

These Spike cases look pretty interesting! The model "1" seems pretty useless since you physically have to take off the bottom of the case and flip it to use the keyboard. The "2" seems like it was well thought out, since the keyboard flips and docks right in the back of the case. Seems pretty handy. I was contemplating getting one, but I'm probably going to be upgrading to the iPhone 5 when it's available. Seeing as how the case most likely won't be compatible with the new phone, it seems like a waste.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Metllica: Have you ever looked at this Kickstarter project: Spike: Real Keyboards and Protective Cases for the iPhone by Cody and Robert Solomon + SoloMatrix ? Kickstarter

These Spike cases look pretty interesting! The model "1" seems pretty useless since you physically have to take off the bottom of the case and flip it to use the keyboard. The "2" seems like it was well thought out, since the keyboard flips and docks right in the back of the case. Seems pretty handy. I was contemplating getting one, but I'm probably going to be upgrading to the iPhone 5 when it's available. Seeing as how the case most likely won't be compatible with the new phone, it seems like a waste.

Yeah, I want one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2