Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Smart Cover and Back? Or Case?

I picked up my new iPad a few days ago, having sold my iPad 2 to a co-worker, but I still have my smart cover from the previous iPad. I had used a hard shell back with the cover on my iPad 2, but the shell doesn't fit the new one. I've thought about using the smart cover and buying a new back, but I also am considering getting an entirely new case, such as the Otterbox or Seido cases, both of which Amazon have for great prices, I might add. I want protection for my new toy, and while it's not like I throw it around like a frisbee, it's better to be safe than sorry.

That said, do people generally use the smart cover/back combo? Or a case? Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Super Moderator

I prefer cases myself. These things are slim enough that a few extra millimeters isn't too bad - in fact, in some cases, I find it helps the tablet fit better in the hand. Seido has one that is functionally about as good as OtterBox (it's just missing the built-in transparent screen protector). The Ballistic case is a bit less ergonomic, but you definitely wouldn't have to worry about damage. If you wanted to stay slim, you could always just slap a Bodyguardz on the back. I hear they work really well.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    That said, do people generally use the smart cover/back combo? Or a case? Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I use a Smart Cover and an Incipio Smart Feather (the iPad 2 version fits fine on my iPad 3 for me)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,841 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Smart cover n a snap shield back for me

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Smart cover n a snap shield back for me
    Doing the same thing. I always used a case, but now am using the smart cover and a snap on clear case I got on sale for $3.50 and it works fine.
    Craig S, Photographer
    ConciergePhoto
    ModelMayhem
    "Be Remarkable!"
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

Personally I like this case the most.

Combines a nice sleek look with some great functionality. Best of both worlds!
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks for all of the suggestions. At first I was going to get one of those rugged cases (Otterbox or Ballistic), but they all seem to come with built-in screen protectors that ruin the experience of the retina display. The Seidio looks good, but I read that the back is quite slick and tough to grip. I think I'll go with a back such as the Incipio.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm another one that uses a smart cover with a clear Belkin Snap Shield on the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Jimmers aka @Harley_Dude on Twitter. Follow me. I always follow back.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    iOS Version

On my original iPad I had a leather folio but for my iPad 2 I just use a snap case along with the smart cover as others have posted.
    iPhone 5S - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just got the Otterbox Defender for my iPad 3 and returning it soon. Great case but the built in protector doesn't do the retina display screen justice. Thats the whole reason I went with the "new" iPad. Gonna try the Seidio Active.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,422 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use a Smart Cover I bought from the Apple
    And a snap on back:
    XtremeMac
    Microshield SC
    Durable ultra-thin case for iPad2 23951304A
    Office Depot $29
    Good grip. Type of silicon*
    Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have the smart case. I love it. It covers the front and the back and it looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I'm using the smart case to protect the back of mine. I also have an screen protector, just in case the inside of the cover gets something on it that might harm the glass when it's closed. Better to be safe than sorry.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,422 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hey Guys

When the SmartCase was first introduced, I remember seeing a video/review (it was long) that wasn't that keen on it because of it's fit - problems with not being able to grab the cover to open it because of the lip of the base not fitting properly and problems with the magnets not really securing the cover properly

Did they fix all of this?

TIA

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Hey Guys

When the SmartCase was first introduced, I remember seeing a video/review (it was long) that wasn't that keen on it because of it's fit - problems with not being able to grab the cover to open it because of the lip of the base not fitting properly and problems with the magnets not really securing the cover properly

Did they fix all of this?

TIA
    That's the thing, I really don't have a problem with any of the negatives from that review. My smart case fits fine. And it really isn't a challenge to open it. Out of all the cases that I have bought for it, this is by far the best one for me. It is thin, attractive, low maintenance, and durable. Can't ask for more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I usually just go with my black leather Smart Cover and a snap-on back; either the Incipio Feather (light, holds SC to iPad securely) or the Union by Devicewear (thin, StayOpen magnet on the back).

For deployments I prefer my Griffin Survivor to my Otterbox. Both are realistically probably more protection that the casual user will need. If you're handing your iPad to toddlers, that's a different story. The built-in screen protectors (easily removed with a blade) will take away from the retina screen, but they definitely come in handy for the various elements we deal with.
    Reminding people that "your" "you're"...

Habitual Line-Stepper since 1979

"Victory has 100 fathers... Defeat is an orphan." - John F. Kennedy
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,422 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaynewilliams View Post
    That's the thing, I really don't have a problem with any of the negatives from that review. My smart case fits fine. And it really isn't a challenge to open it. Out of all the cases that I have bought for it, this is by far the best one for me. It is thin, attractive, low maintenance, and durable. Can't ask for more.

Tks for the info DW,
    Which iPad are you using with the SmartCase?
    TIA

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

I go in between the Logitech Ultra Thin Keyboard cover and the smart cover for the front of the "new" iPad. I have nothing on the back. It has been fine like that since release day when I got it.

My iPad2 has just the smart cover and that is also just fine. My iPad1 is in the Apple case that was sold with the iPad at launch.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Tks for the info DW,
    Which iPad are you using with the SmartCase?
    TIA
    I have the iPad 3.

iPhone Newbie

I prefer case. Gives you much more safety and stand options.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Smartcase

I recently got the SmartCase for my iPad 2. I absolutely love it! Keeps the slim factor of the iPad, but also protects the front and back. I did notice a bit of a fit issue using it on the iPad 2, but I cut a piece of felt and placed it behind the iPad before placing in the case and it fits perfect!

I take my iPad everywhere, so I keep it in a neoprene sleeve while it's in my bag. I was most concerned about the case showing dirt, but I've found this case very easy to clean with a damp cloth and I've had no problems. Had it almost a month and it still looks brand new.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,422 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by KrissyLouWho View Post
    I did notice a bit of a fit issue using it on the iPad 2, but I cut a piece of felt and placed it behind the iPad before placing in the case and it fits perfect!
    Good idea KLW.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover