Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Default Headphone Volume

On my iPhone 4s it seems that the volume of my headphones are not very loud. When I am at the gym or on the train heading home I can sometimes hardly the music over what is going on around me, which is very annoying. I can't remember ever having this issue with my 3GS.

I have checked my volume and EQ settings and I have not noticed any changes.

Any help would be appreciated.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is the onscreen volume indicator showing its maxed out? If so, try another pair of headphones and see if the headphones are faulty.

If the problem persists, try doing a restore and see if that does anything. REMEMBER TO BACKUP FIRST!

If the problem STILL persists, you may just have a faulty headphone jack... Or possibly water damage in the headphone jack itself. If that's the case, take it into an Apple store and get yourself a new one.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

I have not done a restore, but tried all the other options. I don't think water damage is a possible theory...Anyone else have this problem?
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ring o fire View Post
    I have not done a restore, but tried all the other options. I don't think water damage is a possible theory...Anyone else have this problem?
    I've noticed for many years that my own headphones sound better. Altec-Lansing MZX606 sounds great
    and go for under $30.
    A GOAL without a PLAN is only a WISH.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Default Call volume OK - Can't hear dialing tones

My headset volume is OK during a call but I can barely hear the tones when I dial numbers on the pad. I cannot find any separate volume control for this. Any suggestions?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

don't know about this but look under settings and music and look at your volume limit
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Also setting your equalizer setting to "flat" instead of say treble boost or whatever will boost the volume.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Thanks for the info and I have done all of this stuff. My volume under Settings>Music>Volume Limit is all the way up, and is not locked. The EQ is turned off and I have tried other EQ settings with no change. I thought I was doing something wrong but it seems that this is just the way it is.

When I am in a call I can hear the caller somewhat well unless I am on the train riding home or something like that.

My music is so low that when I am at the gym and I can hear the music being played in the gym over my headphones.

Listening to Pandora is even worse...I know that the quality of music on Pandora is going to be noticeably less versus the music on my phone.
    iMore Newbie

I also have this problem when i'm listening to music, and watching videos. When i receive a message in whatsapp, the volume goes all the way up. Then the volume goes low again.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

I ended up getting new headphones and problem solved.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Headphone Volume

I have just bought an iphone 4s 2 months ago and opened my earphones last night and it was not as loud as my Ipod 4