Lifeproof cases are of poor quality...

Arbor12

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have had the otterbox defender for the iphone 5, like it because it seemed to protect the phone well, but was very bulky. I read all the comments on the Lifeproof and issues with echoing and the bad issues with the speakers. I bought the lifeproof off of ebay for a good price. I did have all the issues that were stated so I decided to play around with it. I dont need it to be waterproof just to protect my phone well. The problem seemed to be with the rubber gaskets in the case that cover the speakers on the bottom and the one that covers the earpiece. I removed both gaskets and all the issues disappeared. The sound is clear from the speakers and i can hear out of the earpiece with no vibration. Just an idea if you dont need it to be waterproof.

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had the otterbox defender for the iphone 5, like it because it seemed to protect the phone well, but was very bulky. I read all the comments on the Lifeproof and issues with echoing and the bad issues with the speakers. I bought the lifeproof off of ebay for a good price. I did have all the issues that were stated so I decided to play around with it. I dont need it to be waterproof just to protect my phone well. The problem seemed to be with the rubber gaskets in the case that cover the speakers on the bottom and the one that covers the earpiece. I removed both gaskets and all the issues disappeared. The sound is clear from the speakers and i can hear out of the earpiece with no vibration. Just an idea if you dont need it to be waterproof.

FYI, the newer lifeproof cases fixed those issues and without compromising the waterproof aspect of the case. If you call lifeproof customer service they can send you a replacement case free of charge.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
FYI, the newer lifeproof cases fixed those issues and without compromising the waterproof aspect of the case. If you call lifeproof customer service they can send you a replacement case free of charge.

Yes they did fix the issues. Case is great. Not sure they would swap since eBay is not an authorized retailer.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the bulkiness of otterbox. I am going to look and may try the incipio atlas water proof case they showed off at ces

Incipio Atlas - waterproof for over an hour
Otterbox Armor - waterproof for 30 minutes
LifeProof - place under water for an hour to verify waterproof seal and no time limit

That and the LifeProof looks the best and is the slimmest and has the flotation add on (though not for iPhone 5 yet I don't think). LifeProof is the clear winner in this category.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
LifeProof - place under water for an hour to verify waterproof seal and no time limit

That and the LifeProof looks the best and is the slimmest and has the flotation add on (though not for iPhone 5 yet I don't think). LifeProof is the clear winner in this category.

Seidio OBEX is also only 30 minute waterproof, LifeProof still wins.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I felt like checking, the LifeProof water proof is to the same specifications as the others. So I may have misunderstood before. It's a pressure thing, these cases can withstand being at 6.6ft/2m underwater for 30 minutes, above that longer. So the Seidio needs some looking into.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Check specs, the atlas is overall smaller compared to lifeproof

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Check specs, the atlas is overall smaller compared to lifeproof

Yeah, they've all got their aspects about them.

LifeProof has the subwoofer capability.
Incipio is more form fitting and comes with a warranty.
The Otterbox can have 2 tons dropped directly on it's front or back.
And I'm not sure what Seidio brings that the others don't have.

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes they did fix the issues. Case is great. Not sure they would swap since eBay is not an authorized retailer.

As long as you sign up for their free extended warranty on their website, it's not a problem. You have to have the serial numbers for the front and back of the case as well as the packaging it came in handy.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
As long as you sign up for their free extended warranty on their website, it's not a problem. You have to have the serial numbers for the front and back of the case as well as the packaging it came in handy.

Right but you are assuming that its real. I hope for your sake that it is.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As I previously mentioned, I think the case has improved a lot since the original IP4 version. My IP4 case was so bad that after three replacements, I asked for a full refund which they did. With my IP5 version, I have some issues such as the humming when on a call, vibrating back if volume too loud, and occasional complaints while on call or speakerphone. The vibrating back issue, I resolved by placing a small thin felt piece (just about the size of the area below the window and inside of the ribbing) between the backplate and the phone. This keeps the backplate from vibrating on the phone and also seemed to help a little with the call and speakerphone issue. I noticed that if I turned down the speakerphone volume, then didn't have as many complaints about echoing or not being able to hear me. Also, if worse comes to worse, you could just open the port door and use the phone fine. For me, most of this was minor considering that the case is shock and water resistant and in a relatively small/thin case.

This morning, I decided to try to see if perhaps I can get a newer version under warranty and see if I can have these issues improved upon. I contacted Lifeproof by phone and had to wait about 30 mins to get through, but I got through and they took care of me. I've never had any problems with their customer service and today wasn't any different. Hopefully, the newer version really makes the case better. As long as it is as good as the one I have, now, I will still be happy with it. Just trying to see if the newer version gets rid of some of those issues.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
As I previously mentioned, I think the case has improved a lot since the original IP4 version. My IP4 case was so bad that after three replacements, I asked for a full refund which they did. With my IP5 version, I have some issues such as the humming when on a call, vibrating back if volume too loud, and occasional complaints while on call or speakerphone. The vibrating back issue, I resolved by placing a small thin felt piece (just about the size of the area below the window and inside of the ribbing) between the backplate and the phone. This keeps the backplate from vibrating on the phone and also seemed to help a little with the call and speakerphone issue. I noticed that if I turned down the speakerphone volume, then didn't have as many complaints about echoing or not being able to hear me. Also, if worse comes to worse, you could just open the port door and use the phone fine. For me, most of this was minor considering that the case is shock and water resistant and in a relatively small/thin case.

This morning, I decided to try to see if perhaps I can get a newer version under warranty and see if I can have these issues improved upon. I contacted Lifeproof by phone and had to wait about 30 mins to get through, but I got through and they took care of me. I've never had any problems with their customer service and today wasn't any different. Hopefully, the newer version really makes the case better. As long as it is as good as the one I have, now, I will still be happy with it. Just trying to see if the newer version gets rid of some of those issues.

Was the vibrating back happening while having sound playing through your phone? And if so only then? LifeProof has a patent pending subwoofer like feature in their cases, you can verify its working by putting salt or similar on the back of the case while sound is playing. Or just check out their video on their website.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The Incipio Atlas and Otterbox Armor cases are too bulky and square. I do like how the Seidio curves back in for the center of the phone, but I still think (without having tried the others yet) that LifeProof has the best one. Time will tell, I will want to test all of them. But in mentioning things like this to LifeProof on Twitter I managed to get a follow.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The Incipio Atlas and Otterbox Armor cases are too bulky and square. I do like how the Seidio curves back in for the center of the phone, but I still think (without having tried the others yet) that LifeProof has the best one. Time will tell, I will want to test all of them. But in mentioning things like this to LifeProof on Twitter I managed to get a follow.

The atlas case is smaller overall unless the specs I saw were incorrect.

For those who have a lifeproof how much 'bulk' does it add to the iPhone maybe if you used any other cases how it compares?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The atlas case is smaller overall unless the specs I saw were incorrect.

For those who have a lifeproof how much 'bulk' does it add to the iPhone maybe if you used any other cases how it compares?

It's about half the bulk of an Otterbox Defender. I had one for my iPhone 4 and literally just a couple hours ago bought one for iPhone 5, and the iP5 version is much better than the iP4/4S version.

My only problems right now are LifeProof's site not recognizing the barcodes on the front and back pieces of the case and I can't get the oily looking marks to disappear. On the iP4/4S version that was corrected by pushing the screen protector farther down using your knee, but that did not help on this one.

seidioseidio

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Seidio OBEX is also only 30 minute waterproof, LifeProof still wins.

The OBEX has passed the IP68 certification which means that it was tested in 2m deep water for up to 30 minutes. Our case is able to go up to 1m in water for continuous submersion.

This is the same depth and time that the Lifeproof case is certified for as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro