Lifeproof cases are of poor quality...

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I really do love this case but for 80.00 the quality control is terrible.

Bought one at launch from Best Buy and ended up with the first batch that had problems with the built in screen protector. They sent me a replacement that fixed the problem BUT then somewhere on the case I had a small moisture leak. They sent me another one. All was fine until I noticed that the door hinge was missing. Why? Appears the pin on the left side fell out. Ugh.

Now I am waiting for another response for replacement. And its always a long wait.

I would be cautious guys.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ive had one since day one and never had a problem. I'm a regular on the Facebook page and I must say I see more good stories of how it's saved someone's phone than complaints. Most complaints are just silly questions that if the person took the time to watch the videos on LifeProof's web page then they wouldn't ask. Since buying my first case I have bought 4-5 as presents and everyone that has it loves it.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
i have to disagree my experience has been all good. i love my lifeproof case!

I second this. I have used the LifeProof in some pretty harsh conditions and it worked flawlessly. I had a scratch on the screen, that was my own fault, and they sent me a new front piece. That is great customer service.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Their CS isnt in question. It's their product. Since typing up this thread they have gotten back to me and they are sending me a replacement so we will see how well it holds up this time. After 2 issues in less than 3 months I am not all that impressed.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I got one pre-ordered before they were even released. I loved the waterproof-ness and the slim form factor, but that was it. Speakerphone no longer worked and I couldn't FaceTime, either. The speaker echo was terrible, even with the update they made to supposedly correct the problem. I couldn't even hear people on the other end of the phone when they were talking to me. Blah. I sold it on eBay and got my money back.

goinyak13

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
They are the most overpriced worthless piles of crap ever, I dropped my phone off my lap getting out of my car and the screen is shattered!!! And to top it all off no one has liability for it even though AT&T recommended it and lifeproof makes the case, they are all piles of and so is their products

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have lifeproof on my 5 and had it on my 4S. Dropped it many times on concrete and tile etc. when I took my 4S out to sell it the phone looked brand new. Person who bought it couldn't believe it was a year old.

Loony4Fruit

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've actually been looking at the Lifeproof Fre for the iPhone 5, but not sure whether I want to pull the trigger for $80. It hasn't gotten the best reviews on Amazon, but it seems like the best alternative for waterproof cases out there. Anyone have experience with it?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I've actually been looking at the Lifeproof Fre for the iPhone 5, but not sure whether I want to pull the trigger for $80. It hasn't gotten the best reviews on Amazon, but it seems like the best alternative for waterproof cases out there. Anyone have experience with it?

It's a great case I love it. I don't think amazon is an authorized reseller. Some people love it some hate it. Go to best buy and try and return if you hate it

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Curious, is the main advantage of the LifeProof over the Otterbox Defender, it offering a waterproof option? And not being as thick?

There are so many bad reviews on the LifeProof case for the iPhone 5, hence me being on the fence. Plus I've always gotten an Otterbox a defender.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
IMO the defender takes a nice thin phone and turns it into a brick. The main advantage is offering a better level of protection in a much smaller and lighter footprint. It's not for everyone. I had it for my 4 then used same case for 4s and then got the Fre for my 5. First ones at best buy had glitches. They stand by their product and keep making minor changes to get it better.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I just got the fre case for the iPhone 5 today. It's an earlier model that has some problems. Best buy didn't have any of the newer versions yet. The only problem I have so far is the front plastic not sitting flush on the screen and hindering the response. It bothers me and I want a new one, but I'll hold off and keep this one until I can get a good one. It's a great case other then that. I'm outside a lot and give my son baths so it has a chance to get wet. It's defiantly better then the otterbox IMO. The otterbox defender adds way too much bulk, and the commuter is too slick IMO. So long as all the problems are fixed with the lifeproof for the 5 and make it like the 4 and 4s it'll be a winner in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goinyak13

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The plastic seems to settle after awhile, I had the same problem at first and it worked it way down, but now my screen is shattered so it doesn't matter lol

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I never had a problem with the LifeProof I had for my iPhone 4, haven't been able to get on for the 5 yet, I love 'em.

As far as LifeProof vs. Otterbox Defender, it's simple. Defender for heavy duty throw your phone off the 23rd floor protection and LifeProof for best overall protection and taking underwater photos/videos and less than half the bulk of the Defender.

Both are great in their own rights, I always own both, it's just a matter of what I need a case for at the time and what I feel like using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I never had a problem with the LifeProof I had for my iPhone 4, haven't been able to get on for the 5 yet, I love 'em.

As far as LifeProof vs. Otterbox Defender, it's simple. Defender for heavy duty throw your phone off the 23rd floor protection and LifeProof for best overall protection and taking underwater photos/videos and less than half the bulk of the Defender.

Both are great in their own rights, I always own both, it's just a matter of what I need a case for at the time and what I feel like using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I've had similar experience using LifeProof with my 4S. I'm outdoors a lot and the LifeProof case kept the 4S in nice shape despite the dust, grime and occasional accidental drops and dings that I tend to bring upon gear. I was able to pass on the 4S to a family member.
The 1st accessory I picked up for my iPhone 5 was the Fre. Like the 4S case, it's light and adds minimal bulk. So far I've not experienced the issues noted by others.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods