Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Default Lifeproof cases are of poor quality...

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Right but you are assuming that its real. I hope for your sake that it is.
    I'm assuming your case is the real deal or the warranty?

Global Posts
    2,627 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JDabney24 View Post
    I'm assuming your case is the real deal or the warranty?
    I got mine from lifeproof so yeah it's the real deal. I just don't trust anyone selling on eBay on the cheap.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    I got mine from lifeproof so yeah it's the real deal. I just don't trust anyone selling on eBay on the cheap.
    I also got mine from lifeproof. So far I don't see the problem...

Global Posts
    2,627 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JDabney24 View Post
    I also got mine from lifeproof. So far I don't see the problem...
    I was confusing you with the person who got it from eBay. My bad
    iPhone Beginner

Default Re: Lifeproof cases are of poor quality...

As I previously mentioned, I think the case has improved a lot since the original IP4 version. My IP4 case was so bad that after three replacements, I asked for a full refund which they did. With my IP5 version, I have some issues such as the humming when on a call, vibrating back if volume too loud, and occasional complaints while on call or speakerphone. The vibrating back issue, I resolved by placing a small thin felt piece (just about the size of the area below the window and inside of the ribbing) between the backplate and the phone. This keeps the backplate from vibrating on the phone and also seemed to help a little with the call and speakerphone issue. I noticed that if I turned down the speakerphone volume, then didn't have as many complaints about echoing or not being able to hear me. Also, if worse comes to worse, you could just open the port door and use the phone fine. For me, most of this was minor considering that the case is shock and water resistant and in a relatively small/thin case.

This morning, I decided to try to see if perhaps I can get a newer version under warranty and see if I can have these issues improved upon. I contacted Lifeproof by phone and had to wait about 30 mins to get through, but I got through and they took care of me. I've never had any problems with their customer service and today wasn't any different. Hopefully, the newer version really makes the case better. As long as it is as good as the one I have, now, I will still be happy with it. Just trying to see if the newer version gets rid of some of those issues.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,214 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnfx View Post
    As I previously mentioned, I think the case has improved a lot since the original IP4 version. My IP4 case was so bad that after three replacements, I asked for a full refund which they did. With my IP5 version, I have some issues such as the humming when on a call, vibrating back if volume too loud, and occasional complaints while on call or speakerphone. The vibrating back issue, I resolved by placing a small thin felt piece (just about the size of the area below the window and inside of the ribbing) between the backplate and the phone. This keeps the backplate from vibrating on the phone and also seemed to help a little with the call and speakerphone issue. I noticed that if I turned down the speakerphone volume, then didn't have as many complaints about echoing or not being able to hear me. Also, if worse comes to worse, you could just open the port door and use the phone fine. For me, most of this was minor considering that the case is shock and water resistant and in a relatively small/thin case.

This morning, I decided to try to see if perhaps I can get a newer version under warranty and see if I can have these issues improved upon. I contacted Lifeproof by phone and had to wait about 30 mins to get through, but I got through and they took care of me. I've never had any problems with their customer service and today wasn't any different. Hopefully, the newer version really makes the case better. As long as it is as good as the one I have, now, I will still be happy with it. Just trying to see if the newer version gets rid of some of those issues.
    Was the vibrating back happening while having sound playing through your phone? And if so only then? LifeProof has a patent pending subwoofer like feature in their cases, you can verify its working by putting salt or similar on the back of the case while sound is playing. Or just check out their video on their website.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,214 Global Posts

The Incipio Atlas and Otterbox Armor cases are too bulky and square. I do like how the Seidio curves back in for the center of the phone, but I still think (without having tried the others yet) that LifeProof has the best one. Time will tell, I will want to test all of them. But in mentioning things like this to LifeProof on Twitter I managed to get a follow.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    The Incipio Atlas and Otterbox Armor cases are too bulky and square. I do like how the Seidio curves back in for the center of the phone, but I still think (without having tried the others yet) that LifeProof has the best one. Time will tell, I will want to test all of them. But in mentioning things like this to LifeProof on Twitter I managed to get a follow.
    The atlas case is smaller overall unless the specs I saw were incorrect.

For those who have a lifeproof how much 'bulk' does it add to the iPhone maybe if you used any other cases how it compares?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,214 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    The atlas case is smaller overall unless the specs I saw were incorrect.

For those who have a lifeproof how much 'bulk' does it add to the iPhone maybe if you used any other cases how it compares?
    It's about half the bulk of an Otterbox Defender. I had one for my iPhone 4 and literally just a couple hours ago bought one for iPhone 5, and the iP5 version is much better than the iP4/4S version.

My only problems right now are LifeProof's site not recognizing the barcodes on the front and back pieces of the case and I can't get the oily looking marks to disappear. On the iP4/4S version that was corrected by pushing the screen protector farther down using your knee, but that did not help on this one.
    Thanked by:
    Premium1 (01-17-2013)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2,476 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Seidio OBEX is also only 30 minute waterproof, LifeProof still wins.
    The OBEX has passed the IP68 certification which means that it was tested in 2m deep water for up to 30 minutes. Our case is able to go up to 1m in water for continuous submersion.

This is the same depth and time that the Lifeproof case is certified for as well.
    iPhone Nanite

Am I the only one with problems with the charger port opening (latch).

I am on my 3rd case new one (this week)
    The other 2 had the same problem where the charger port opening (which is also the latch) cracks.
    I do not abuse my phone, even the cases still looks brand new.
    I do charge it a couple or few times a day. I don't use the externders you can buy as it seems like that even puts more stress around that area more than it should.

No one else has this kind of issue?
    iPhone Nanite

I have been getting a high pitched sound as well as a "thumping." I replaced my phone 3 times are u telling me its my case? It also has a pillowed effect at top and bottom. And can't end phone calls
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,214 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna1313 View Post
    I have been getting a high pitched sound as well as a "thumping." I replaced my phone 3 times are u telling me its my case? It also has a pillowed effect at top and bottom. And can't end phone calls
    Those are known issues in the early models if you bought from an authorized dealer they will replace your case free of charge for you.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Been considering giving the LifeProof a try. I'm nervous about all of the issues but Best Buy has an alright return policy. I'll just take advantage of that if necessary.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I will have to disagree. I had a white lifeproof case for my 4S. Shortly after I picked up a 2nd job delivering newspapers. The ink on my hand got all over the phone and would not wash off. I contacted lifeproof asking if I could exchange for a black one and they responded promptly. They not only sent me a black one but they sent me another white one (on accident). And when I contacted them about the white one, they told me to just keep it!!

Suffice it to say, I have always been pleased with the build quality and customer service of lifeproof.

It's unfortunate that you have had some bad cases. I wouldn't take that experience to heart. Not everything, from every company is going to be perfect. Even Apple has devices that need to be returned and exchanged.
    Thanked by:
    trtmazda3 (02-01-2013)
    iMore Nanite

I wish I read this blog prior to purchasing LifeProof cases, We followed all of the directions and when my daughter went to the beach this week water got in and ruined her iPhone. LifeProof will send me a new case, however the phone replacement is on me. Way to stand behind your product!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I love my LifeProof Nuud. I use it on my bicycle with the handlebar mount and with a set of JayBird BlueBuds X bluetooth headphones and I love the combo. And the phone i nice and secure when i go on the mountain bike trails that can get pretty hairy. It's locked in and not going anywhere.

Victor
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,305 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JCouncil View Post
    I wish I read this blog prior to purchasing LifeProof cases, We followed all of the directions and when my daughter went to the beach this week water got in and ruined her iPhone. LifeProof will send me a new case, however the phone replacement is on me. Way to stand behind your product!
    They do. They are replacing the case. They never said they'd replace your phone.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD
    Former BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC Desire Z, back to Galaxy S, iPhone 4 White 16GB, BB Bold 9900 White (sold), back to iPhone 4, SGS3 Pebble Blue, SGS3 Garnet Red, BlackBerry Z10 White, 16Gb iPhone 5 White
    iMore Newbie

Did she test it without the phone first?? Also nothing can be 100% work and you are putting the phone in water at your own risk at 1st. I believed only bring it in the water if you happy to buy a new phone if the case fail one day.

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Linkiepoo View Post
    Did she test it without the phone first?? Also nothing can be 100% work and you are putting the phone in water at your own risk at 1st. I believed only bring it in the water if you happy to buy a new phone if the case fail one day.
    I was wondering if they tried the water test first as well
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Wish they would make an orange with real tree camo like the defender.
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123