Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,737 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Lifeproof cases are of poor quality...

Quote Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
    Lifeproof needs to make a version that isn't waterproof to compete against the Otterbox Defender. Most people don't need it to be waterproof and then you wouldn't have the drawbacks that go along with it.

Follow me on the Twitter! @_jorts
    That's actually a pretty good idea. I don't need my phone to be waterproof, but it's pretty cool that it is. It's nice that when I am around water I don't have to worry about my phone. And the case is still thinner then the defender. Also Otterbox is coming out with the Armour next month that will be waterproof for $100.
    I answer everything to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong, correct me.

If I helped you, hit thanks.

Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

What separates lifeproof from anyone else is that it's waterproof in a sleek non bulky design. IMO there are plenty of sleek non bulky cases that aren't waterproof. I think they found their niche.
    Premium1 likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,737 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    What separates lifeproof from anyone else is that it's waterproof in a sleek non bulky design. IMO there are plenty of sleek non bulky cases that aren't waterproof. I think they found their niche.
    I completely agree. It gives great coverage and is just as slim as the incipio case I had before it.

iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
    Lifeproof needs to make a version that isn't waterproof to compete against the Otterbox Defender. Most people don't need it to be waterproof and then you wouldn't have the drawbacks that go along with it.

Follow me on the Twitter! @_jorts
    Which portion of the case would you want not to be waterproof to compete ?
    The only one I can think of is the 3rd mic near the camera, but even the they can try to make the sound go through like the speaker portion.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I just received my 3rd lifeproof case in the mail and I am pleased to announce that all previous problems with the case have been fixed! First case I had, had the "pillowing" effect on the top and the bottom of the iPhone, had the high pitched noise come out of the earpiece, and couldn't end a call. I got my 2nd case, still had the "pillowing" effect on the top and the bottom, but not as bad as the first generation. It fixed the high pitched noise and the ability to end a call. The only reason I sent it back was because they sent me the wrong color. Very good customer service. Got my 3rd case in the mail today, and I am pleased to announce this 3rd gen case is much, much better! No "pillowing", no high pitched noise from the earpiece, and can end a call! Slim, sleek, waterproof, dust proof, etc and can fit easily in the pocket. Sound is much better too! Overall a 10/10 for sure!
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,273 Global Posts
    iOS Version

To confirm is this an iPhone 5, and is the serial number of the case in the 300k range?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by JDabney24 View Post
    I just received my 3rd lifeproof case in the mail and I am pleased to announce that all previous problems with the case have been fixed! First case I had, had the "pillowing" effect on the top and the bottom of the iPhone, had the high pitched noise come out of the earpiece, and couldn't end a call. I got my 2nd case, still had the "pillowing" effect on the top and the bottom, but not as bad as the first generation. It fixed the high pitched noise and the ability to end a call. The only reason I sent it back was because they sent me the wrong color. Very good customer service. Got my 3rd case in the mail today, and I am pleased to announce this 3rd gen case is much, much better! No "pillowing", no high pitched noise from the earpiece, and can end a call! Slim, sleek, waterproof, dust proof, etc and can fit easily in the pocket. Sound is much better too! Overall a 10/10 for sure!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    To confirm is this an iPhone 5, and is the serial number of the case in the 300k range?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes to both questions.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,737 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I got my replacement for my 5 a couple days ago too and it's in the 400k #. Everything is great with it. It makes me like lifeproof so much again I might buy a new color on next month. Kind of digging the tan one they announced. Sounds like they are defiantly getting their act together.

iPhone Beginner

Default Re: Lifeproof cases are of poor quality...

I would have to agree with the comment that Lifeproof should consider looking into making a non-waterproof/cheaper version of their case. This might help them get a slightly better reputation and also a chance to earn some extra revenue from a market they haven't tapped into, yet.

Due to the quirks as a result of having a waterproof case, I can see why some customers are not happy with their Lifeproof. It isn't perfect and I must admit that it is pricey. However, now, that there are several serious options (ie. Seidio OBEX, Incipio Atlas, & Otterbox Armor), prices may come down. Just by looking at the design and the preorder price, I would think the Incipio Atlas to be the best case out there at a lower price (Mobile City Online has preorder at $49.99). Considering Otterbox's reputation of not lasting very long for their other cases, I'm not too confident in spending the money to look at that case plus it looks really bulky as does the Seidio OBEX. However, the Seidio OBEX is probably made very well, but from the sounds of the Galaxy S3 OBEX, sounds like there are way too many parts. For the most part, I'm still happy with my Lifeproof and it does have its niche. As someone else mentioned, their philosophy is to provide a protective case in as thin and light as possible which I think they still achieve even amongst the competition.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,273 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I returned my LifeProof case today to BestBuy. I'll stick with my Otterbox Defender and holster for now.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,737 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    I returned my LifeProof case today to BestBuy. I'll stick with my Otterbox Defender and holster for now.
    I just did the same exact thing. I'll check out the OB Armour when it comes out and the new lifeproofs next month. Until then OB is where I will stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iMore Guru

iOS Version

I have 2 of these and have never had any issues with either. There is a bit of a design change in the newer one but both work great.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    Yeah, well visit the FB page and you will see a lot of people having build issues. Again, I would be cautious.
    That's because people go there to complain and are a minority just like those who come on forums with issues. People don't post when they don't have problems which makes everything seem worse.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E_Brown View Post
    I just did the same exact thing. I'll check out the OB Armour when it comes out and the new lifeproofs next month. Until then OB is where I will stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't like the bulkiness of otterbox. I am going to look and may try the incipio atlas water proof case they showed off at ces
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I can't believe people even compare OB with LP, LP gives you complete protection....like nothing touches your iPhone.
    Compared to any OB which lets dust and tiny bits of whatever in, I was pulling my OB of almost daily to clean the crap out. LifeProof have been doing what they do for over a year now and other company's are just coming out with waterproof cases so really who would you trust?

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!
    I used to have a open mind but my brains kept falling out.

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2
    Cleveland and Premium1 like this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 6

I have had the otterbox defender for the iphone 5, like it because it seemed to protect the phone well, but was very bulky. I read all the comments on the Lifeproof and issues with echoing and the bad issues with the speakers. I bought the lifeproof off of ebay for a good price. I did have all the issues that were stated so I decided to play around with it. I dont need it to be waterproof just to protect my phone well. The problem seemed to be with the rubber gaskets in the case that cover the speakers on the bottom and the one that covers the earpiece. I removed both gaskets and all the issues disappeared. The sound is clear from the speakers and i can hear out of the earpiece with no vibration. Just an idea if you dont need it to be waterproof.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arbor12 View Post
    I have had the otterbox defender for the iphone 5, like it because it seemed to protect the phone well, but was very bulky. I read all the comments on the Lifeproof and issues with echoing and the bad issues with the speakers. I bought the lifeproof off of ebay for a good price. I did have all the issues that were stated so I decided to play around with it. I dont need it to be waterproof just to protect my phone well. The problem seemed to be with the rubber gaskets in the case that cover the speakers on the bottom and the one that covers the earpiece. I removed both gaskets and all the issues disappeared. The sound is clear from the speakers and i can hear out of the earpiece with no vibration. Just an idea if you dont need it to be waterproof.
    FYI, the newer lifeproof cases fixed those issues and without compromising the waterproof aspect of the case. If you call lifeproof customer service they can send you a replacement case free of charge.
    Shooter03 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

FYI, the newer lifeproof cases fixed those issues and without compromising the waterproof aspect of the case. If you call lifeproof customer service they can send you a replacement case free of charge.
    Yes they did fix the issues. Case is great. Not sure they would swap since eBay is not an authorized retailer.
    Shooter03 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    I don't like the bulkiness of otterbox. I am going to look and may try the incipio atlas water proof case they showed off at ces
    Incipio Atlas - waterproof for over an hour
    Otterbox Armor - waterproof for 30 minutes
    LifeProof - place under water for an hour to verify waterproof seal and no time limit

That and the LifeProof looks the best and is the slimmest and has the flotation add on (though not for iPhone 5 yet I don't think). LifeProof is the clear winner in this category.
    Shooter03 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    LifeProof - place under water for an hour to verify waterproof seal and no time limit

That and the LifeProof looks the best and is the slimmest and has the flotation add on (though not for iPhone 5 yet I don't think). LifeProof is the clear winner in this category.
    Seidio OBEX is also only 30 minute waterproof, LifeProof still wins.
    Shooter03 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts

I felt like checking, the LifeProof water proof is to the same specifications as the others. So I may have misunderstood before. It's a pressure thing, these cases can withstand being at 6.6ft/2m underwater for 30 minutes, above that longer. So the Seidio needs some looking into.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post

Check specs, the atlas is overall smaller compared to lifeproof
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Check specs, the atlas is overall smaller compared to lifeproof
    Yeah, they've all got their aspects about them.

LifeProof has the subwoofer capability.
    Incipio is more form fitting and comes with a warranty.
    The Otterbox can have 2 tons dropped directly on it's front or back.
    And I'm not sure what Seidio brings that the others don't have.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Yes they did fix the issues. Case is great. Not sure they would swap since eBay is not an authorized retailer.
    As long as you sign up for their free extended warranty on their website, it's not a problem. You have to have the serial numbers for the front and back of the case as well as the packaging it came in handy.

Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

As long as you sign up for their free extended warranty on their website, it's not a problem. You have to have the serial numbers for the front and back of the case as well as the packaging it came in handy.
    Right but you are assuming that its real. I hope for your sake that it is.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast