Car Kit that works on AM frequency?

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey. I just got a new job and will now be driving to work using my brothers car. OF COURSE, the FM stations do not work for some reason (it's a '97 Jeep that has been driven a lot). Does anyone know of any iPhone Car Kits that can play music/sounds through the car speakers using AM frequencies? All of the ones I was able to find only use FM frequencies (I think). AHH, I need my music! Please let me know if you can help. Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You'd be better off to spend a little more money than a transmitter kit and just replace the Jeep's whole radio with one that can be interfaced to an iPhone - there's not a whole lot if price difference between a quality transmitter kit and a whole new radio. And I know of no AM transmitter kits...

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds about right. Just talked to a buddy of mine who said to just get a new head unit. He said the problem probably isn't with the antenna but with the connection from the head unit (radio) to the antenna. Could anyone confirm that this is probably the problem that knows about car steroes/head units/antennas?

Also, if anyone knows some good head unit models that aren't too too expensive, please let me know. Looking for a balance between quality and price.

Thanks again.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure you are going to find out exactly what the problem is until you remove the radio, but if you get a new head unit, it will need to be connected to the antenna.
A cheaper solution would be using the tape deck, if it works, and buying a cassette adapter. Not as good quality as a connection directly to he unit, but better than a transmitter.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Also, if anyone knows some good head unit models that aren't too too expensive, please let me know. Looking for a balance between quality and price.
A quick look at BestBuy's web site has the Kenwood model KDC108 on sale for $49.99 - that's not a lot more than even the cheapest transmitter kits. The Kenwood has a line in - so you'd need to get an audio cord that plugs into your iPhone & the Kenwood.

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather get a new head unit than use the tape deck. Something is wrong with the tape deck too, and has been for longer than the FM stations haven't worked.

Do you think I should try pulling out the original head unit before bringing it in to a car audio place for someone to look at? Reading online, it seems that it could either be the connection from the back of the head unit wire being loose or the actual antenna wire being rusted or broken somewhere along the line. This depth of auto knowledge is definitely out of my scope.

The Kenwood looks cool. Would rather spend a little more to have the USB connection, though.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you think I should try pulling out the original head unit before bringing it in to a car audio place for someone to look at?
This depth of auto knowledge is definitely out of my scope.
Do you think you could troubleshoot it if you pulled it?

Would rather spend a little more to have the USB connection, though.
Make sure you're getting an iPod/iPhone interface. A lot of USB connections only support USB mass storage devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2