Magpul Field Case Review

scott11

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
those having issues with the flash- are you using a white iphone? Hiefzilla- i see you have a white- what about the rest of you? I have a black case with no issues, but want to order an orange and a pink for my GF. We both have black phones, so I am hoping this is a phone issue and not a case issue.

Thanks

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine arrived this week and Have to say it works really well, I like this case better than most cases I have tried on other peoples phones.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine arrived this week and Have to say it works really well, I like this case better than most cases I have tried on other peoples phones.

It's a great case for sure. It gives a good amount of protection considering how much bulk it does not add.

Heifzilla

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Any issues with the orange?

Sorry this has taken so long to post, things have been busy.

I took a pic with hubby's white 4s with his orange Magpul case on and also one with my pink case. The orange has WAY less flash bounce than the pink. There's a slight orange cast to his picture, but it's not super noticable, at least when compared to the pink case.

Here are the pics:

Orange:
6596083055_51e8214a08.jpg

Pink:
6596081559_12fbe63f14.jpg

HTH!

Heif

Reactions: cyberpaw

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Would you be able to post a picture taken without a case as a comparison? The pink definitely adds a noticeable tint to the photos. The orange almost makes for warm colors, rather than a tint.

Heifzilla

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I took more pics with the cases on and this time the room was pretty dark. And the orange case was just as horrible as the pink. So I guess there's just going to be a lot of issues with these cases and the white 4s using a flash. I don't understand why the flash looks ok closeup (as shown in my earlier post) but so horrible at distance.

Orange with case on:
6597055365_fdd1f9bc56.jpg

Orange with case off (still has some weird fading up in the upper left):
6596836407_6509b7ddac.jpg

Pink with case on:
6597020275_5bd7828c03.jpg

Pink with case off:
6596836891_149a779fd0.jpg

One more with the orange case on:
6596987641_6639a078f3.jpg

Last edited:

scott11

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
i just got my orange case today, have a black phone and I have a orange tint with the flash also. Disappointing since I really like the orange case.

Heifzilla

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
i just got my orange case today, have a black phone and I have a orange tint with the flash also. Disappointing since I really like the orange case.

Apple needs to work on this. I've had other phones for years with all sorts of cases and flashes and never had any issues like this. It's not just these cases, it's any case that gets close to the flash/lens. :(

scott11

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
anyone have issues with the executive case? I have a black one with no issues- I think it may just be that the field case is thicker and causing the flash issue. I am going to return my new orange and pink field cases, and would like to get the exec case if that will solve the problem.

What do you all think?

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a Field Executive Case, in Orange (and FDE, and Black). Since I was doing a little winter cleaning, I figured I'd take a few pictures and do a comparison.

First, the important info:
Black 16GB iPhone 4
Stock Camera application
Orange Magpul Field Executive Case
CZ-40B in .40 S&W

nocasenoflash.JPG

1. So, the first shot is the control shot. This is taken with no case, no flash, relatively close.

nocasewithflash.JPG

2. Next shot is still with no case, this time with the flash, at roughly the same distance.

withcasenoflash.JPG

3. This time the phone has the Orange Field Exec case on it, with no flash, roughly the same distance.

withcasewithflash.JPG

4. With case, with flash, roughly the same distance.

withcasenoflashdistance.JPG

5. Next shot is with the case, with no flash, at an increased distance. The darker area in the lower right hand corner of the shot is a shadow, not anything to do with the camera or case.

withcasewithflashdistance.JPG

6. The final shot is with the case, with flash, at the same increased distance as the previous picture. There's a noticeable orange hue to the picture.

Heifzilla

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Potential Workaround for Flash Issues with 4s

This is potential workaround for the flash issue. It won't appeal to everyone, but it certainly helps *a lot* and I am very happy with the results.

What I did was take a black marker and color in the inside of the flash cutout, as so:
6620737383_7d03770f44.jpg

I don't mind how this looks, but I am sure some people might.

Here are the comparison pics:

Pink case, with flash, before coloring in the cutout:
6620738311_026781c7f3.jpg

Pink case, with flash, after coloring in the cutout:
6620746905_3d63a4b483.jpg

My phone, using flash, no case:
6620845127_46063730c9.jpg

There is a slight amount of difference between the last two pics. The one with the case on is *slightly* more washed out, but it's good enough for me. I am very pleased with this. Very simple fix.

The results are the same on the orange field case that my husband has, too.

HTH!

Heif

Reactions: cyberpaw

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that if you take the case on and off a lot (I do, I'm really anal about keeping everything clean) that it does stretch out a bit. Not so bad that it falls off the phone, but you can ever so slightly see that it is not as snug as it was originally.

Again I'm super anal, its not that bad, but it does stretch a bit.

cretz42#WN

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you guys use a dock with either the field or exec case? I just got a speaker dock for xmas, and my speck candy shell doesn't work on it or my iHome. That's a major selling point for the next case I'm gonna buy, so any input would be great

itechyou

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
As previously stated by Heifzilla, a little sharpie magic on the camera ring will eliminate a lot of the flash issues, not just with the Magpul but with the majority of cases available. I have had to do this on a few cases and it usually resolves the issue. For what the Magpul costs it is a no brainer to get one or two of them. I have purchased a bunch for gifts for friends who have commented on liking mine.

estalzer

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
New here! I'm a magpul nut. So when I got 4s I got a field case. Blk. Like it so much I just ordered one in FDE color. Outstanding for the price and made in the US. Can't beat this at all.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner