Otterbox Commuter iPhone 4S case re-design review

ozshadow#AC

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I have two Otterbox Commuter cases to test on my white 4S.

The first is the iPhone 4 version (a week old). The camera port had to be redesigned for the 4S. No way around this. It affected pics in a negative way.

Today I received my blue & white 4S version in the mail and have a lot of issues with it.

The 4S version re-designed the camera opening, and from the few pics I have taken, it definitely seems to have improved this.

The 4S version does have some drawbacks though that I am not happy with. First, the silicone is much firmer. Not near as supple as the 4 version. The power button is extremely firm. I also have scuffs and dimples where the stuff was injected. It looks like eraser peel.

The plastic has trouble seating into the silicone grooves as well. No matter how much you pull and stretch and massage, it seems one side sits flush, and parts of the other side stick out.

Next, the 4S plug covers are only covers. They do not have extra material that inserts into the headphone and 30 pin connector slot. The covers do not hold near as well without the extra material inserting. The 30 pin cover may get removed if it ceases to hold in the future and they do not re-design.

Third, the hard shell has been re-designed. Mine did not fit as tightly as the 4 version and the new corners were a bit sharp and noticeable. I guess they will wear down or I will remove it and re-scrape. They bite on occasion right now. The corners do look like they will protect better on impact.

The edges of mine also had quite a few sharp spots where it needs the flash trimmed better. It can be uncomfortable to hold.

The bevel on the face of the silicone has been changed, but this is a non-issue for me. Works just fine.

I think they may have been in a hurry on this one.

One thing that helps - Before you put the silicone on. Push pull wad it up. Play with it for a while before you ever put it on the phone.

One GREAT thing to note and a big reason why I will keep it. Mine says: MADE IN THE USA
(prior version was China)

All in all, I like the feel of my wife's Speck Candyshell better, and it has the re-designed camera opening.

Last edited:

jlp916

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this...I had an otterbox on one of my BB's and have periodically looked at them for the 4s but haven't purchased yet. Think I'll wait and see if they tweak it a little more??

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this...I had an otterbox on one of my BB's and have periodically looked at them for the 4s but haven't purchased yet. Think I'll wait and see if they tweak it a little more??

OtterBox never tweaked the commuter case for the iPhone 4, therefore I doubt very highly that they will do it for the 4S case.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was just thinking about getting a commuter but now I might hold off

If you can go into a store that has them and try the case out first you will be better off. I wish I would have done that so I wouldn't have had to ship it back to OtterBox and wait on a credit from them.

Reactions: rewNATION

imm89

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Fit?

Does the iPhone 4s fit the Otterbox commuter case for the iPhone 4?
I'm thinking maybe the mute switch and the camera don't align?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Does the iPhone 4s fit the Otterbox commuter case for the iPhone 4?
I'm thinking maybe the mute switch and the camera don't align?

It did fit on mine, although it was tight around the mute switch. And I didn't find that pictures taken with the flash were as good due to the camera opening not being as large.

marcbs

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Otter Box Case

I have the 4s with an Otter Box Commuter case. No issue with fit at all.

My issue is with the headphone receptacle. The case is just a bit too thick and my Shure headphone jack won't seat into the headphone receptacle. The iphone headphones fit fine; the sound quality on the Shure's is much better. I will check Radio Shack for a headphone jack extender-hope that one exists.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Great review, oz_shadow!

I accidentally purchased an iPhone 4 Commuter case for my 4S. I didn't really think about the camera cutout until I went to take a picture at a concert and couldn't because of the camera holes. I ended up taking it back and ordering a new Commuter case off of BestBuy.com. I had the EXACT same problems you talk about in your review. I couldn't get the hard plastic shell to line up with the grooves in the silicone. I opted for the "Envy Green/Gunmetal Grey" color and the green was not at all like it was pictured. It was also a pea green or a camouflage green not the dark, forest green I was expecting.

If anyone is looking for an OtterBox, and doesn't mind a something a little bulkier, Amazon has the Defender cases for around $35 with free shipping. I ordered one of those instead and absolutely love it!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2