Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Lifeproof Case?

What is everyones opinion on the lifeproof case? I have seen the demos and it looks like it can withstand just about anything. I am thinking about buying one from Best Buy this weekend for my 4S and if I have issues with the sound just returning in and getting an Otterbox.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

I've read that the touchscreen response takes a hit with that case along with the sound so be sure to test that out.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,495 Global Posts

It does look rather tempting. But, I bet it is similar to Otterbox where you have to sometimes press a little harder when typing...
    Instagram: iamivanwilliams
    Twitter: iamivanwilliams
    iPhone Nanite

There was suppose to be a redesign that was suppose to improve everything (screen & speaker/sound quality), but have yet to hear any definitive feedback in here. I definitely LOVE the slimmer design (compared to my Otterbox Defender), but am not anxious to drop $80 just to test something that should be fixed right out of the box. And of course I want to get a color that isn't available locally so it wouldn't be a simple return.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    latest

I loved that case for the 3 days I had it. I need a case like that. But the 2 I tried didn't work with the ring switch.
    Follow me: www.twitter.com/joshuasmiley

2013 MBA 13 i7 512GB SSD, VZW 128GB GOLD iP6, iPad miniR 64 VZW
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

I ordered one for me and my father. I can't say anything yet for quality, but we bought the Gen 2 models. Sadly, our 4Ss will take longer to get in than the cases. I wanted Otterbox (or better) protection, but in a sleeker package.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I bought a LifeProof case from Best Buy yesterday and have been using it all day today... Am returning it tomorrow. There is no doubt that this case protects the phone, but the front protector screen wasn't helping the responsiveness of the touchscreen. I kept having to push the screen harder than I should have to. A couple of times, while texting, it wouldnt respond to my touch,especially on the outer letters. The screen was also picking up alot of ugly fingerprint smudges... Was pretty disappointed.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

I checked one out at Best Buy and I was not impressed with it. Didn't like how it felt and looked. If you are interested in one I suggest getting hands on with it before you purchase it.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by savagmj View Post
    What is everyones opinion on the lifeproof case? I have seen the demos and it looks like it can withstand just about anything. I am thinking about buying one from Best Buy this weekend for my 4S and if I have issues with the sound just returning in and getting an Otterbox.
    I had one, it broke, so yeah but i think I got a defective one. I'm actually using an otterbox defender now instead

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    iPhone 4 16 GB White iOS 5.1.1 w/ Carbon Fiber Phantom Skinz
    iPad 1st Gen 16 GB iOS 5.1.1 w/Brookstone keyboard case
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I tried one, but to be honest for the price, it felt extremely cheap. The water proof part was excellent, but for 70-80 dollars there are a lot better cases.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

Got mine in today, water tested fine and installed. Touch screen is responsive enough, very light taps are iffy, but I can text easily atm with it. Impressed thus far. As thin as my Magpul case was, little longer case, but for a reason. Little wider, but because of the button bumpers.
    iPhone Beginner

I have it on my 4s. No issues of any (lucky I guess). I placed the case over a zagg screen protector and I have no problems with working the touch screen, except at the very edges of the screen on the outside.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It is quite appealing to me but I can't see myself spending that much on a case. Perhaps if they ever go on sale I will reconsider.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I have had it for a week now and not had any issues. Only real issue had was when in sunlight had to turn off the auto brightness and that fixed it. Have not had any issues with the screen responsiveness. You have to press slightly harder than with no cover but not a real issue. Also, with the 4s and Siri if the phone is in your pocket with the screen facing leg it will activate Siri. To fix this you can turn the screen to face out. It is great to be able to not ever have to worry about dropping the phone in water or anything.

For the people saying it is to expensive. It is $30 more than an Otterbox but it you drop that in a puddle or forget to take out when at the pool you are out a phone. For the peace of mind knowing no matter what your phone will be fine is worth the extra money.
    iMore Intermediate

Purchased today and literally within 2 minutes of having on I knew this case had to go back. The mute switch was unresponsive and the screen was about as bad as most people here have described.

They seriously dropped the ball with this case.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I love my case. I have a gen 2 white case and I haven't had any issues with it at all.
    I used to have a open mind but my brains kept falling out.

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

Just an update, I got my 4S in last night and noticed the brightness was thrown off by the case. Got on Lifeproof and got my case upgraded free of charge. They have a simple form you fill out if you have an issue with the brightness on the Black or Purple cases with the 4S. I'm fine with it until then, it's not that noticeable after I adjusted the brightness anyways, the default was just really low.