Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iphone 4 cases DO NOT FIT the 4s

otterbox.com/iPhone-4S-Commuter-Series-Case/APL4-I4SUN,default,pd.html?dwvar_APL4-I4SUN_color=20&start=5&cgid=apple-iphone-4s-cases]iPhone]iPhone 4S Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com[/url] 4S Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com

(that's a link to the otter box 4s case, but look in their q&a section)

according to an otter box rep:

"The cases for the iPhone 4 are not compatible with iPhone 4S due to a change in the location of the device’s proximity sensor and camera lens."

i guess we will all find out for sure next week.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I suspect that the Otterbox cases aren't compatible because they are full-device cases. The majority of the cases are "back and sides" only, and the buggest issue will be whether or not the case lines up with the iPhone 4S' buttons.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Jellotime91 and Premium1 like this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

i have a 4s on its way (hopefully) but i would like to have a case ready to go for it. hopefully stores get 4s cases soon. there are plenty of i4 cases i like, but i would rather be definite before i order anything online.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1/5.1

Seidio told me, and they are marketing them on their site, that 4 cases will work on the 4S. I ordered the Surface Combo for it, and they show the same Surface case working with the 4/4S.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The Speck ToughSkin case is marketed as being for the 4/4S.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

I was at Apple today and asked several reps if the 4s would work with the cases for the 4 and they all said yes. I decided to go ahead and wait until I get my phone to buy a case because I'd rather be safe than sorry but I can't imagine a store manager and 2 store employees saying it would work or if they didn't know not saying something like we believe so but we don't have a display unit yet so we won't know until Friday. All giving a for sure yes would do would cause people to be upset and make a return when it wouldn't work. I agree with another poster with it might be that otterbox case specific because it covers everything, but I dont see there being any issue with cases that mainly cover the back and sides with just the edge of the front covered. Hope you find a case that works for you
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,975 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

It'd probably be beneficial to put "Otterbox cases" in the thread title, since I'm 99.9999% sure the other normal cases fit just fine.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Jellotime91 and Premium1 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I understood that the 4S would be identical to the 4 on Verizon, with no other changes. However, Otterbox's Defender page says this:

This case does not fit the white iPhone 4 or the iPhone 4S.
    Our iPhone 4S cases do.

Compatibility:
    iPhone 4 (all carriers)
    Does not fit iPhone 4 in WHITE
    Does not fit the iPhone 4S

I have no idea what the color has to do with it. Apparently they're saying it fits the 4 for Verizon but not the 4S, but they already have 4S cases, so just get one of those.

I guess that the changes they mentioned have not been reported on, but it makes sense that the camera port might be different, since they changed the optics. We'll see on Friday.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johndhynes View Post
    I have no idea what the color has to do with it. Apparently they're saying it fits the 4 for Verizon but not the 4S, but they already have 4S cases, so just get one of those.
    The white phone is ever so slightly larger than the black one, I can't tell you why this is but it is larger
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,975 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

The white one was slightly thicker than the black one...in reality such a small measurement they didn't think to tell anyone, but in terms of a snug fitting case, it made a difference when the white iPhones hit the stores...that's why the color mattered.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    iStarrwoman19 (10-09-2011)
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I suspect that the Otterbox cases aren't compatible because they are full-device cases. The majority of the cases are "back and sides" only, and the buggest issue will be whether or not the case lines up with the iPhone 4S' buttons.
    Agreed. The Otterbox cases take up the front-facing camera and proximity sensor. Although the shift in these are probably minor they might need to make minor adjustments and hence are 4S specific. Wish I knew this early, bought a iPhone 4 Otterbox case off Amazon, guess I'll have to return it when it comes.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.0 GM

I assume that the 4S may share the same thickness of the white iPhone 4. Be weary folks, those hard-plastic slide on cases can scratch the paint right off your device. Seidio insisted that their cases fit the white iPhone, so I was pretty disappointed after the paint was scratched and they denied everything.

Just to be safe, I'd listen to Otterbox. All they admit is that the proximity sensor is in a different place, but even Otterbox never stated that the white iPhone was thicker when, in fact, it was. There's bound to be some kind of difference that would mean taking a risk trying to cram it into an iPhone 4 case, and if not, at least you were safe!
    CarrieMK likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

I'm sure my son probably knows this already but this is very useful information for me because it will be our first IPhone. I am still learning so I have been reading everything I can on here.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieMK View Post
    I'm sure my son probably knows this already but this is very useful information for me because it will be our first IPhone. I am still learning so I have been reading everything I can on here.
    Don't worry about it, we we're all new on here once. Haha, it's like being a freshman, all the seniors pick on you, but they we're a freshman once too.
    Just remeber: If I helped you or you think my comment was funny, Thank me

Rest in Peace STEVE JOBS
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,804 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Like another poster in this thread, I ordered an Active X burgundy/black from Seidio last night. Seidio is listing on their website that the i4 and i4S cases are the same.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    Thanked by:
    zackawee27 (10-09-2011)
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pilsbury View Post
    Like another poster in this thread, I ordered an Active X burgundy/black from Seidio last night. Seidio is listing on their website that the i4 and i4S cases are the same.
    Yeah, you guys have to remeber the Ottorbox is like a ultimate case. It will not break in their. The design has to be different due to the speaker on the top they make a special hole thing.
    Just remeber: If I helped you or you think my comment was funny, Thank me

Rest in Peace STEVE JOBS

Global Posts
    1,548 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Verizon iP4 is suppose to be like the 4S
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.0 GM

Quote Originally Posted by zackawee27 View Post
    Don't worry about it, we we're all new on here once. Haha, it's like being a freshman, all the seniors pick on you, but they we're a freshman once too.
    Actually, one thing I love about this forum is that almost no one is cruel just to be cruel. There are too many online communities full of trolls who are just there to shoot down anyone who's not a veteran on their message board until they run them off.

There aren't even that many Android users on here who just register to badmouth the iOS platform for the fun of it - and God knows that we all have met Android users like this.

Cheers to you all for being kind human beings.
    Banned

"The 4S is compatible with nearly 98% of iPhone 4 cases." - Rep at my local Apple store.
    Case-mate's iPhone 4 cases are listed as compatible with iPhone 4/4S as well.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

Is this just for the OB defender? Looks like the commuter wouldn't be affected since ot doesn't overlap tje front of the phone, right?
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iPhone Nanite

ive been reading up on it more and it looks like here are the key differences ive found:

*due to the proximity sensor change with the i4 black vs. white, there are larger cut outs in the front so that a single case can accommodate both the black and white 4s. cases that are fully open in the front will have no issue with the front of the 4s. any case that works for a black i4 will work for a black i4s, as well as any case that works for both colors i4 will work for both 4s.

*updates to the quality of the camera and its sensitivity creates degraded images (even if ever so slightly) when the back of the case surrounds the camera and flash openings like tunnels as seen on the old i4 otterbox cases and the seidio. cases that have a larger opening that does not perfectly surround the camera or flash will have no issues with the front of the 4s.

again this is just what ive read, but it makes sense. you just need to be aware of white iphone compatibility, but you can use the old cases that surround the camera if image quality is not a tremendous deal breaker for you.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by xoxospecialk View Post
    The white phone is ever so slightly larger than the black one, I can't tell you why this is but it is larger
    The only case that I couldn't use on my white iPhone was the Incase slider. It was really tough to slide the top part of the case on so I didn't bother because it seemed like I wouldn't be able to take it off. The otterbox defender I already had works fine on the white phone. It is just the smallest fraction thicker than the black iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

I just want to clear up the fact of why the white iPhone4 and otter box don't mix well.

Its NOT because the huge .2mm thickness difference, because the white iPhone fits fine in any otter box no matter when it was manufactured, but it is because the Proximity sensor.

The White iPhones proximity sensor will not work if the plastic is covering it from the otter box, simple fix, remove the small portion of plastic that covers it and amazingly it works just fine. But, as of lately Otterbox started making cases that are 100% compatible with the white iPhone and they did this by printing a black hourglass shape line on that piece of plastic and it fixes the need for removing the plastic. It even comes with a new sticker right on the box that says "Compatible with white Iphone4" If you don't believe me go check out any website on google or just go to walmart and look at the boxes, newer ones will say compatible and you'll see the new line on the plastic, old ones will not.

Also, a hard plastic case (no matter the manufacture) will NOT scrap the paint off of the iPhone, ITS NOT PAINTED!!! probably one of the biggest misconceptions about the white iPhone, it cannot fade, it will never get dirty. In fact the white iPhone always looks cleaner! You can never see a fingerprint on my white iPhone but my daughters black one and my wifes black one always need wiped down. The white one does not show fingerprints at all, its amazing!
    Space Grey 64gb iPhone 5s
    Ipad Air White 32gb Wifi+LTE
    Macbook pro 15" (2010)
    Apple TV2

Also in our house:

White 32gb iPhone 5
    White 16gb iPhone 4s
    iPad Mini 32gb Wifi+LTE
    iPad Mini 16gb Wifi
    Macbook Pro 13"
    Apple TV2(2010)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I bought a Verizon iPhone 4 Otterbox case for my new black 4S. I guess we will find out. My wife got a white 4S so we will try hers first to check he proximity sensor issue.
    Tanker57
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StevenJ_AK View Post
    I just want to clear up the fact of why the white iPhone4 and otter box don't mix well.

Its NOT because the huge .2mm thickness difference, because the white iPhone fits fine in any otter box no matter when it was manufactured, but it is because the Proximity sensor.

The White iPhones proximity sensor will not work if the plastic is covering it from the otter box, simple fix, remove the small portion of plastic that covers it and amazingly it works just fine. But, as of lately Otterbox started making cases that are 100% compatible with the white iPhone and they did this by printing a black hourglass shape line on that piece of plastic and it fixes the need for removing the plastic. It even comes with a new sticker right on the box that says "Compatible with white Iphone4" If you don't believe me go check out any website on google or just go to walmart and look at the boxes, newer ones will say compatible and you'll see the new line on the plastic, old ones will not.

Also, a hard plastic case (no matter the manufacture) will NOT scrap the paint off of the iPhone, ITS NOT PAINTED!!! probably one of the biggest misconceptions about the white iPhone, it cannot fade, it will never get dirty. In fact the white iPhone always looks cleaner! You can never see a fingerprint on my white iPhone but my daughters black one and my wifes black one always need wiped down. The white one does not show fingerprints at all, its amazing!
    Sometimes the white turns a yellowish tint though.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast