iphone 4 cases DO NOT FIT the 4s

ProMed

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
To not confuse people by the thread title and a manufacturer like otterbox who has 1 or 2 cases that don't fit the iphone4s.

99% of Iphone4 cases will fit the Iphone4S. Because Otterbox makes a full device case that covers everything except the 3.5 screen itself it will not fit or else it will block the prox. sensor. The other 99% of Iphone4 cases out there will fit the Iphone4S.
The Otterbox Commuter I ordered only covers the sides and back, not the prox. sensor, but they clearly made changes.

From Otterbox:
The cases for the iPhone 4 are not compatible with iPhone 4S due to a change in the location of the device?s proximity sensor and camera lens.

So.. did they increase the back camera opening size because of the larger aperture in the 4S or just for better pictures? Either way, if buying another 4S case I would want to avoid all those with the small camera openings. That is many of them.

Commuter
apl4-i4sun-f3-3.jpg
apl4-i4xxx-a1-3.jpg

Reflex
apl7-i4sun-94-3.jpg
apl7-i4xxx-b6-3.jpg

Defender:
apl2-i4sun-e7.jpg
apl2-i4xxx-46.jpg

ProMed

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered commuter case for 4S, just curious when it will actually arrive.
Cool, I ordered one two days ago but no idea when it will arrive for either of us. Mine is still processing. Which color did you decide on?

I went with the grey/yellow for my white 4S, should be a little unique. For me at least!

apl4-i4sun-f3.jpg

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That's very strange, because if you go to otterboxes website and click on their 4S case, it is said to be compatible with both the 4 and 4S. If you go to the apple website and click through cases they've all been updated to show compatibility with the 4S.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That's very strange, because if you go to otterboxes website and click on their 4S case, it is said to be compatible with both the 4 and 4S. If you go to the apple website and click through cases they've all been updated to show compatibility with the 4S.

Otterbox cases have been updated so that's why they will work with both the 4&4s

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have an otterbox commuter on a white 4. It fits. My husbands defender doesn't line up the same. The 4 is .3 mm thicker I believe because if UV anti yellowing treatment and paint coats. Some snap on cases work, others don't. IFrogz silicone cases don't fit properly. I have learned to try the case before buying whenever possible.

ProMed

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
If you are back on the Otterbox site, you will notice that none of the cases with the older small camera opening are for both the 4 & 4S. All of the cases labeled as 4/4S have the new larger camera opening.

For the iPhone 4, Otterbox has had to design cases that are compatible with either AT&T or Verizon designs, with their different button placements, as well as the slightly larger White model. With the 4S, it has been said that the button placements are the same as the iPhone 4 Verizon design. I haven't read anywhere yet that has confirmed if both the White & Black 4S models have the exact same dimensions yet or not.

Separate from that, the 4S has a larger aperture than the 4. I'm not sure if the larger camera openings on all their 4S cases is for that larger aperture or just to help prevent reflection of the flash.

Otterbox says on their site that, compared to the 4, the 4S has had a "change in the location of the device?s proximity sensor and camera lens". I would love to know exactly what the changes are they are referring to.

Of course I could be totally wrong! We will know for sure soon after everyone starts getting the phones.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
My question is whether the Otterbox Universal Defender that I ordered on Amazon will work... It's supposed to work on the Verizon iPhone 4, and everything seems to be saying that the iPhone 4Sis configured like the Verizon iPhone 4. Oh, well - it has already shipped, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My question is whether the Otterbox Universal Defender that I ordered on Amazon will work... It's supposed to work on the Verizon iPhone 4, and everything seems to be saying that the iPhone 4Sis configured like the Verizon iPhone 4. Oh, well - it has already shipped, so I'll just have to wait and see.

That's the story that's circulating. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to get a case and try it. We should know for sure by Friday.

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I hope we are all just speculating about whether the 4 case will fit the 4s. I have asked this question at 2 different Apple stores as well as called a couple of manufactures. While the volume buttons seem to be a bit off on the Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4, every person says the covers are universal. I have a new iskin silicone cover that I hope to use on my AT&T 4s, but it does have 2 separate raised areas for the volume buttons and one opening for the silent switch. IF what some people are saying, that the Verizon covers will not fit AT&T phones and the same for AT&T covers on Verizon phones, and the 4s is designed like the Verizon phone, then my cover should not fit my new phone. I am hoping that is not the case, but as someone said above, we will know when our phones arrive on Friday.

Seems to me that Apple would know if these phones have the bottom placement enough different that it would make a difference which case you purchased. I just want to make sure I have a case to put on the phone immediately! I guess I could take this cover by the AT&T store as well as the Verizon store and try it on both phones. If it fits both, I will assume it will fit the 4s :D I am willing to have several cases at my house for the day the phone arrives as long as they are returnable. My phone is not leaving the house naked! :p

fire07

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
From the Q+A section on the Otterbox Website:

Each case series created for the iPhone 4S is compatible with both the White and Black versions of the iPhone 4 from Verizon and AT&T.

Hope that's actually true, because the new colors on the 4S cases are awesome!

HOWEVER, it looks like cases for the iPhone 4 are NOT compatible with the 4S. I guess it must have to do with the camera opening, as someone else mentioned. So that's why OB hasn't consolidated both product pages into one "Cases for iPhone 4/4S" page.

Last edited:

elavum

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The Otterbox Commuter I ordered only covers the sides and back, not the prox. sensor, but they clearly made changes.

From Otterbox:

So.. did they increase the back camera opening size because of the larger aperture in the 4S or just for better pictures? Either way, if buying another 4S case I would want to avoid all those with the small camera openings. That is many of them.

Commuter
Click to view quoted imageClick to view quoted image

Reflex

Defender:

Otterbox reflex iphone 4 camera opening seems to inline with newer design, but slightly smaller. I am hoping that the iphone 4 relex case will work for my 4s :rolleyes: ( offcourse i ordered a case before i saw the thread :( )

chargerdan

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I want the Seidio CONVERT Combo case. If anyone has or knows if this case fit, please tell. I NEED IT.

I have the Convert case (bought it on sale at the TiPb Store when it was called the Rugged) and it will fit the 4S. The only issue will be the space for the mute switch. That is basically a hole in the rubber shell but it looks to be too high from what I'm reading.

For me it isn't too big of a deal. I use the Surface case part of the combo 95% of the time and only the extra protection for when I'm skiing or biking. And even if the mute switch is off it isn't enough to make me buy a new one.

If I was in your position I would wait a little or contact Seidio to see if they will change out the rubber part if it's off.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the Convert case (bought it on sale at the TiPb Store when it was called the Rugged) and it will fit the 4S. The only issue will be the space for the mute switch. That is basically a hole in the rubber shell but it looks to be too high from what I'm reading.

For me it isn't too big of a deal. I use the Surface case part of the combo 95% of the time and only the extra protection for when I'm skiing or biking. And even if the mute switch is off it isn't enough to make me buy a new one.

If I was in your position I would wait a little or contact Seidio to see if they will change out the rubber part if it's off.

I have to wait until December 1st to get the phone since that is when my upgrade becomes available. Maybe by then the mute switch opening will be changed, but that's not a deal breaker for me. You've confirmed that it fits the phone. it offers the protection I need for it. That's all I care about. Thank you for that info. :D

bjbumgarner

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My plan is to buy a cheap case ($10ish) that says it will work with the 4S and cross my fingers. I want to wait a month or two before buying a nice one so that I can make sure it is designed to be on the 4S. I am hoping to get an Element Vapor case of some sort.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What about the silent switch on the side of the 4S? Is it in the same position as the Verizon iPhone 4 or is it like the AT&T iPhone 4? I have an original Bumper case and am wondering if it will fit the 4S.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner