iphone 4 cases DO NOT FIT the 4s

Sylvrr

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
otterbox.com/iPhone-4S-Commuter-Series-Case/APL4-I4SUN,default,pd.html?dwvar_APL4-I4SUN_color=20&start=5&cgid=apple-iphone-4s-cases]iPhone]iPhone 4S Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com[/url] 4S Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com

(that's a link to the otter box 4s case, but look in their q&a section)

according to an otter box rep:

"The cases for the iPhone 4 are not compatible with iPhone 4S due to a change in the location of the device?s proximity sensor and camera lens."

i guess we will all find out for sure next week.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that the Otterbox cases aren't compatible because they are full-device cases. The majority of the cases are "back and sides" only, and the buggest issue will be whether or not the case lines up with the iPhone 4S' buttons.

Sylvrr

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i have a 4s on its way (hopefully) but i would like to have a case ready to go for it. hopefully stores get 4s cases soon. there are plenty of i4 cases i like, but i would rather be definite before i order anything online.

Todd M

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Seidio told me, and they are marketing them on their site, that 4 cases will work on the 4S. I ordered the Surface Combo for it, and they show the same Surface case working with the 4/4S.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I was at Apple today and asked several reps if the 4s would work with the cases for the 4 and they all said yes. I decided to go ahead and wait until I get my phone to buy a case because I'd rather be safe than sorry but I can't imagine a store manager and 2 store employees saying it would work or if they didn't know not saying something like we believe so but we don't have a display unit yet so we won't know until Friday. All giving a for sure yes would do would cause people to be upset and make a return when it wouldn't work. I agree with another poster with it might be that otterbox case specific because it covers everything, but I dont see there being any issue with cases that mainly cover the back and sides with just the edge of the front covered. Hope you find a case that works for you

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I understood that the 4S would be identical to the 4 on Verizon, with no other changes. However, Otterbox's Defender page says this:

This case does not fit the white iPhone 4 or the iPhone 4S.
Our iPhone 4S cases do.

Compatibility:
iPhone 4 (all carriers)
Does not fit iPhone 4 in WHITE
Does not fit the iPhone 4S​

I have no idea what the color has to do with it. Apparently they're saying it fits the 4 for Verizon but not the 4S, but they already have 4S cases, so just get one of those.

I guess that the changes they mentioned have not been reported on, but it makes sense that the camera port might be different, since they changed the optics. We'll see on Friday.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The white one was slightly thicker than the black one...in reality such a small measurement they didn't think to tell anyone, but in terms of a snug fitting case, it made a difference when the white iPhones hit the stores...that's why the color mattered.

Reactions: iStarrwoman19

davidmets

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I suspect that the Otterbox cases aren't compatible because they are full-device cases. The majority of the cases are "back and sides" only, and the buggest issue will be whether or not the case lines up with the iPhone 4S' buttons.

Agreed. The Otterbox cases take up the front-facing camera and proximity sensor. Although the shift in these are probably minor they might need to make minor adjustments and hence are 4S specific. Wish I knew this early, bought a iPhone 4 Otterbox case off Amazon, guess I'll have to return it when it comes.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I assume that the 4S may share the same thickness of the white iPhone 4. Be weary folks, those hard-plastic slide on cases can scratch the paint right off your device. Seidio insisted that their cases fit the white iPhone, so I was pretty disappointed after the paint was scratched and they denied everything.

Just to be safe, I'd listen to Otterbox. All they admit is that the proximity sensor is in a different place, but even Otterbox never stated that the white iPhone was thicker when, in fact, it was. There's bound to be some kind of difference that would mean taking a risk trying to cram it into an iPhone 4 case, and if not, at least you were safe!

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure my son probably knows this already but this is very useful information for me because it will be our first IPhone. I am still learning so I have been reading everything I can on here. :)

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure my son probably knows this already but this is very useful information for me because it will be our first IPhone. I am still learning so I have been reading everything I can on here. :)

Don't worry about it, we we're all new on here once. Haha, it's like being a freshman, all the seniors pick on you, but they we're a freshman once too. :)

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Like another poster in this thread, I ordered an Active X burgundy/black from Seidio last night. Seidio is listing on their website that the i4 and i4S cases are the same.

Reactions: zackawee27

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Like another poster in this thread, I ordered an Active X burgundy/black from Seidio last night. Seidio is listing on their website that the i4 and i4S cases are the same.

Yeah, you guys have to remeber the Ottorbox is like a ultimate case. It will not break in their. The design has to be different due to the speaker on the top they make a special hole thing.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry about it, we we're all new on here once. Haha, it's like being a freshman, all the seniors pick on you, but they we're a freshman once too. :)

Actually, one thing I love about this forum is that almost no one is cruel just to be cruel. There are too many online communities full of trolls who are just there to shoot down anyone who's not a veteran on their message board until they run them off.

There aren't even that many Android users on here who just register to badmouth the iOS platform for the fun of it - and God knows that we all have met Android users like this. :)

Cheers to you all for being kind human beings.

ballerx44

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
"The 4S is compatible with nearly 98% of iPhone 4 cases." - Rep at my local Apple store.
Case-mate's iPhone 4 cases are listed as compatible with iPhone 4/4S as well.

zee921

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Is this just for the OB defender? Looks like the commuter wouldn't be affected since ot doesn't overlap tje front of the phone, right?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox