Griffen Survivor case blocks proximity sensor

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Bought my girl the White IPhone 4 and got her the Griffen Survivor case so nothing could happen to the phone. Problem is, the plastic screen on the case blocks the proximity sensor from working so it doesn't black out the screen when she's on a call and holding it to her face. This leads to her going into mute, hanging up on the person, etc. Very frustrating. I even put my black Verizon IPhone 4 in the case and tested the proximity sensor on my phone and it wouldn't work with mine as well. But the minute I take either phone out of the case, the proximity sensors work great every time! I can't believe Griffen would even sell this case knowing about this huge design flaw! This makes the case unusable, because who wants to always be risking hanging up on people because of a case? Anyone else have similar problems? Any known fixes?

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok. No my girls proximity sensor definitely works without the case. We tried several calls and it was seamless and quick. With the case on, I could put my whole hand over it and it wouldn't turn off, it stayed lit up.

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I just tested mine. Made a call and placed my thumb over the opening and the screen immediately went black. Pulled my thumb away and screen came right back on.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Damn lucky you. I went back to Verizon, and tried 2 more Survivor cases and it didn't work with them either. Ugh sucks!

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm this just doesn't make sense. Maybe they need to give you a new iPhone. Everything works with out any case? I'm sure you have but I thought I'd ask.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep everything works without the case on.

*Update*
Griffin called me back today. They told me that quality control tested the case after I and other customers reported this problem and sure enough it doesn't work. Somehow the case is preventing the proximity sensor from working correctly. They said they will be looking into making a Survivor case that will work with the Verizon White Iphone4.

Glad to know I wasn't just having bad luck with cases. Looking forward to hearing from them so I can get it! Hopefully it won't take too long to come out with this "newer" model.

Rod Siri

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Griffin Survivor for iPhone4s...

Hey Guys, does anyone know is Griffin going to make or currently making new Survivor cases for the iPhone4s to accommodate those sensors?:confused:

Tatortuell

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I need advice.

I'm about to buy my first iphone 4 and i was looking at the camo griffin case and it says not compatible with white iphone 4 and i want a white one but i also want the protective case...my friend has a white iphone 4s and she has a griffin case and it works and fits.If i get a white iphone 4 and buy the griffin case will it fit?Griffin is the most protective case I like so what should I do?Because I want a white iphone 4 not a black one.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
This was a known problem with the iP4. Especially the White one. It was a big problem with the Otterbox Defender. I had the problem with 2 of my iP4s in the OB but the other two iP4s had no probe. Go figure! Now my son never had a problem with the Survivor though but his iP4 is Black.

Is the Survivor Black? The way I fixed my OB was I actually removed the Factory Plastic from Prox. Sensor. Fixed it. I eventually placed a Anti-Glare screen protector on my iP4 and just removed ALL the Factory Screen Protection. That way I eliminated all dust and the Prox Sensor issue.

Yeah it's ridiculous to have to do this but it worked. YMMV.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit