Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Otterbox Or Lifeproof

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Otterbox - Tried & Tested

40 57.14%
  • Lifeproof - Lots of hype but no real world experience?

30 42.86%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    iPhone Newbie

Otterbox - Tried & Tested
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts

Oh Yeah? try and test it under water Im just kidding.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts

A few pages back, I was on the fence. But now that they fixed me up, it really is a great case. Waterproof absolutely. Drop/ Shock proof- Absolutely. I was in line at an amusement park holding it in my left hand at shoulder level, and reached with my right hand to mess with my daughter and she spun around and sent it flying with force (not a mere drop) to the concrete. Nothing wrong. In fact, I had a hard time finding the point of impact. Then the other day at the gym, I set the phone on the dip bar and during the exercise, never noticed it fell, in fact couldnt remember where I put it till I saw it on the ground. THis time there was a scuff right by the ear speaker and like tiny pin hole ***** to the out bumper and this time i thought for sure its broke. Nothing. Perfect and the scuff mark came off. This case is a beast. The only problem with this kind of protection is I think I have become more careless thinking its bulletproof. So Im going to be a little more careful, but so far it hasnt disappointed. I have a brand new otterbox and griffin survivor in my drawer. They are nice cases as well, but no waterproof and a little bulky and stick to your pocket.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Lifeproof - Real Life Experience

Have a small shop and order a case for a customer. Just got a call saying it was the best money he has spent on an accessory. His daughts iPhone was dropped and his wife backed over with her car messed up the case somewhat but saved her iPhone!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've had the defender and one thing I don't like is after an extended period of use the silicone seems to sag ever so slightly.

Whatever my next iPhone is, I'm going to give a lot of consideration to the LifeProof case.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LSglock89 View Post
    I've had the defender and one thing I don't like is after an extended period of use the silicone seems to sag ever so slightly.

Whatever my next iPhone is, I'm going to give a lot of consideration to the LifeProof case.
    The new ones don't stretch. I ha that problem with my old one got one of the camo ones and have had no issues. Call CS and my bet is they will send you a new one out.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BCGarrick View Post
    The new ones don't stretch. I ha that problem with my old one got one of the camo ones and have had no issues. Call CS and my bet is they will send you a new one out.
    How does that camo look in real life?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Has anyone tried the new LifeProof case to see if the speakerphone issues have been resolved?
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post
    Has anyone tried the new LifeProof case to see if the speakerphone issues have been resolved?
    yeah dude, i think that was fixed months ago, they now have a gen 2 case which it the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. top of the range cant say enough good things about them.

check these out and see just what this case can do!!
    I used to have a open mind but my brains kept falling out.

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2
    kataran likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by shooter03 View Post
    yeah dude, i think that was fixed months ago, they now have a gen 2 case which it the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. top of the range cant say enough good things about them.

check these out and see just what this case can do!!
    Ditto that. And see , too. They have even put a help note on their site for people experiencing speaker issues. I can't go without the LifeProof case now.
    kataran likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Ditto that. And see , too. They have even put a help note on their site for people experiencing speaker issues. I can't go without the LifeProof case now.
    That was a great review. I've definitely loved the lifeproof but been the slightest bit hesitant to get it about the speakers. No one had addressed them hardly ever. Complete coverage of ever question I had on the case.

tapatalk on iPad 2 running ios5
    Ipad2 and Mac mini 2.5ghz Sandy bridge
    Apple Boy!
    iPhone Beginner

I finally bought one. Even after I nearly swore off all cases. After reading Alli's review, I decided to give it a shot. Just received it today, so far it seems great.

Haven't worked up the nerve to water test it with the phone inside yet lol
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Lifeproof Case VS Otterbox

Lifeproof is a (hoax) otterbox is the best because otterbox is the first to have ipad mini defender case which i have and had no problems with otterbox so if you ask me i would say otterbox and will always trust oteerbox another reason otterbox is heavy duty like concrete and asphalt tough otterbox is (indestructible) Lifeproof is (pointless plain stuck up stupid awful (hoax) otterbox lives up to its name and does what its made to do (protect)
    iMore Intermediate

Default Lifeproof Case VS Otterbox

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer Maddox View Post
    Lifeproof is a (hoax) otterbox is the best because otterbox is the first to have ipad mini defender case which i have and had no problems with otterbox so if you ask me i would say otterbox and will always trust oteerbox another reason otterbox is heavy duty like concrete and asphalt tough otterbox is (indestructible) Lifeproof is (pointless plain stuck up stupid awful (hoax) otterbox lives up to its name and does what its made to do (protect)
    So....., do you like Otterbox better ?
    Shooter03 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer Maddox View Post
    I'm tipping someone doesn't like LifeProof.

I've had LifeProof on my iPhone 4/4s the entire time I had them and I have to admit being able to list them as perfect condition and for a buyer asking me if they were really a year old when they bought them says something for the protection that LifeProof gives. Anyway that's just my two cents worth

Oh yeah that was taken with my iPhone 4S.

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With the release of the LifeProof case for iPhone 5, I wish costwise they'd include a holster. For the cost of an Otterbox, they provide a holster. Albeit no matter the case I'd be VERY nervous to use my device in ANY type of water. Just saying...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I've had a LifeProof for my iPhone 4/4s and now 5. If you take the time to read through the instructions given and follow them there's no problem taking your phone in the water. I have taken mine and still will many times to the pools and to the beach to get the photos that most people miss out on cause they don't have the option to use their phone in wet conditions. I love the LifeProof cases. They were the real first company to make this option available and I think it's awesome.

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2
    iMore Newbie

I used a Lifeproof on my 4s and I just got my 5 and went straight to best buy and bought the lifeproof fre for it. I trusted the lifeproof in a pool and hot tub , hiking and siting in rain watching soccer and taking pictures while other parents scrambled to hide their phones from drowning. I used it for most outdoor events. So I did not hesitated to buy one for the 5

I have not needed to use it yet and will do the submerging test first. But I have full faith that it will live up to my expectations.
    I thought about waiting and trying the incipio atlas but until its out and tested I feel safe with my lifeproof.

Jim

Sent from my Sweet White 32g iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    15,483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

OtterBox only
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I have both but I have bern using the Lifeproof exclusively. The iPhone 5 is so thin, light and svelte. The Otterbox changes that it makes it bulky and heavier. The Lifeproof offers the same protection and keeps the thinness and light weight. I didn't buy it for the waterproof ability but it's good to know if it accidentally falls in a puddle there is a better chance of survival. Although I am thinking for my next iPhone of getting Applecare+ and Zagg(sp) shields.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts

I've always had Otterbox. I need drop protection, couldn't care less about it being waterproof. I thought about buying a Lifeproof when the iPhone 5 came out until I read all of the bad experiences people were having. Either way, even the slightest drop in audio volume/quality would not be worth it for me.

I have a Lunatik Taktik Extreme on pre-order though, really looking forward to its arrival...
    Follow me on the Twitter - @_jorts

Global Posts
    2,625 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
    I've always had Otterbox. I need drop protection, couldn't care less about it being waterproof. I thought about buying a Lifeproof when the iPhone 5 came out until I read all of the bad experiences people were having. Either way, even the slightest drop in audio volume/quality would not be worth it for me.

I have a Lunatik Taktik Extreme on pre-order though, really looking forward to its arrival...
    Holy crap it's $125. IMO once a phone gets to be as much as the phone it's time to rethink. That said I shelled out the $80 for the lifeproof and love it.

Global Posts
    15,483 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Holy crap it's $125. IMO once a phone gets to be as much as the phone it's time to rethink. That said I shelled out the $80 for the lifeproof and love it.

I have one for my 4S and it's a beast. some great protection but it's big.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Global Posts
    2,625 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    I have one for my 4S and it's a beast. some great protection but it's big.
    The Luna or lifeproof?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

I had a lifeproof for the iphone 5 and just didn't like it at all, so I am going to wait and see when incipio releases their atlas case and most likely go with that. Lifeproof just doesn't seem to live up to it's name with the fre case.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast