Lifeproof Case VS Otterbox

Otterbox Or Lifeproof

• Otterbox - Tried & Tested

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Lifeproof - Lots of hype but no real world experience?

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Received my LifeProof case today and all I can say is wow. Much smaller than defender and completely waterproof. Soaked it in a pot if water and no problem

Reactions: gmac315

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
This case does everything they claim it can do. It is thinner than the OtterBox defender, maybe more along the lines of the commuter thickness. A little longer than both which is an acceptable trade of for what you get in return. The screen clarity is far better than the defender. The only complaint I have and I'm told it will settle down after the air works it's way out is a small airspace between the two screens. It's not even that big a deal but it is noticeable. Again they said it would settle down and others who have had their case longer have confirmed this.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am still waiting shipment of mine, have seen a few people complain via twitter that they cant use headphones or chargers with their cases any issues with yours? I cant wait to not have to remove my phone every night and clean the dust and crap off of it thanks to all that dust my phone now has several scratches on the aluminum and a couple minor ones on the back glass, I am def not impressed that even in the case my phone has ended up damaged 3 months later....

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Post deleted as I read on page 2 that the question I responded to was already answered.

Last edited:

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had my LifeProof case since Thursday. I got the black one, and I love it.

The thickness/size is the same as the OtterBox Commuter series, except the LifeProof is a bit longer at the bottom.

Overall, it isn't perfect, but it's as close as I've seen. I have no desire to ever take this case off or switch it out for another one, and that's saying something for me (a true case addict with an iPhone that's always dressed differently).

Pros:
- Waterproof (obviously). I took it in the bathtub, the shower, and even put it in the sink to scare my friends.
- Slimness. It's smooth and pocketable, something my OtterBox Defenders lacked greatly.
- Appearance. I think LifeProof is an attractive case and fits the iPhone 4's profile very well.
- Durability. I haven't tested it yet, but many other owners have. Search YouTube. This thing lives up to its military-spec rating, definitely.

Cons:
- Screen is odd. It has a bit of a contour shape to it, so the extreme lower and upper regions sit up off of the screen ever so slightly. It takes a bit to get used to, but isn't something unmanageable.
- 'Rainbow' effect. Sometimes, the screen of the case and the screen of the phone can touch in an odd way that leads to "rainbow" watermark looking areas, similar to the 3GS OtterBox Defender's original issues. My watermark spots come and go, but never stay there long.
- Noise. Extremely loud ringtones, such as the chorus of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" can reverberate through the back of the case, since it is air and watertight. The noise can go up through the back if you hold the case wrong. It is hardly noticeable, though.

That's about it. :) Overall, I love the case and it was well worth it.

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
TBH, the lifeproof doesn't really appeal to me. Might change my mind if I saw one in person. I really like using a holster and keeping my pockets free. That being said, no otterbox for me. I love my griffin survivor or sometimes just a bumper which I still carry in a holster. Old fashioned I guess...

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
TBH, the lifeproof doesn't really appeal to me. Might change my mind if I saw one in person. I really like using a holster and keeping my pockets free. That being said, no otterbox for me. I love my griffin survivor or sometimes just a bumper which I still carry in a holster. Old fashioned I guess...

LifeProof makes a holster.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I was curious and went on eBay. These things are selling for double at this point. Shoot should have pre ordered two and basically get one for free lol

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Finally, got my Lifeproof, yesterday. Paid on 5/31 and it got mailed out on 7/12. Took an additional 4 days to receive since USPS misrouted it. Overall, I'm happy with the case, but small things make me not 100% happy with it. The materials used seem cheapy, but don't get me wrong, a lot of R&D went into this case and I can appreciate it for what it is. Considering this, I'm sure the materials used had a purpose such as helping with a good seal, shock resistance, lightweight, etc. It does everything as advertised. Definitely worth looking into. Keep in mind that you can only charge it with the OEM Apple sync cable or the Radtech dock extender.

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I don't like is the space between the screen cover and the phones actual screen... They need to fix that. But listening to music/podcasts in the shower makes it friggin worth it lol- it's the little things in life :)

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Finally got mine in the mail today, Not what I was expecting rather cheap and flimsy feel and the fit and finish makes it seem like they rushed this to get it out. I will admit it is 100% waterproof and by default 100% dust proof but the cheap plastic screen protector on the front half of the case is a big concern I can see this being scratched up rather quickly. I would say if I had the knowledge I do now that from day one I would have ordered one of those aluminum bumper vapor cases and added some cheap screen protectors to the front and rear glass and called it good, my Otterbox defender let in so much dust and sand in the process of the last 2 pools I installed that my front glass now has etched in scratches like you get on your car windshield from little rocks etc makes me kinda angry I wasted money on a case just to have the phone look used and abused after 4 mos anyways. I like the waterproof dust proof idea behind the Lifeproof but the cheap plastic and poor fit and finish ruined it and at $69.99 plus $15 shipping I was expecting more. I used a small spoon edge to pry the case open and upon doing so I managed to put several small indentations into the plastic very noticeable on my white cover!! And the opening for charging and syncing is extremely tight fitting even with the apple cable and I will admit I have been using $.98 Ebay cables as I can get them long enough to actually charge the phone and use it at the same time. I will use this Lifeproof for a week and see how it grows on me but right now I am leaning towards either going back to Otterbox or trying the vapor with screen protectors.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
My screen had a gap between it and the phone and it has totally settled after about a week. I don't think the case feels any cheaper than the OtterBox Defender ever did, hell, it creaked and crunched depending on how I held it!

I <3 LifeProof, but that's my opinion. :)

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
I am starting feel it settling after a few days- the gap is a little less noticeable between the screen and the cover. The case doesn't feel cheap to me like some feel it is- I was just hoping for a little more of a rubbery feel on the back portion.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine has started to settle already after just a day but the bubbled screen is the least of my worries I can already see where the Otterbox defender screen had minor scratches from the sand and crap I work in day to day the Lifeproof is going to be completely scratched and seriously reduce clarity of the screen.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
After having my Lifeproof for almost a week, I must say that it is starting to grow on me. Aside from the front screen protector, the case feels very much a part of the phone which is what I was looking for. Considering all the protection that it provides, this case is one of the best all around cases out. However, there are some small issues that I am willing to put up with such as the gap of the screen protector and the phone and the mic issue. The mic issue is that due to the water resistant capability of the case, the gortex membrane over the mic occasionally needs to be blown in a little every now and then. If anything, this is the main thing I don't care for but is the price to pay for a water resistant case. The size and weight are definite pros with this case. Forgot to mention the other downside was having to use a dock extender if you don't want to use the OEM sync cable for charging. A good thing I do like about the case is the increased audio volume due to the design of the case near the 30-pin dock. I can see others not liking this case, but depends on what you're looking for.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711