iPad Mount in car DIY style

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I figured out a good way to mount the iPad in my car. I took the Belkin Gel Case and some universal vent clips and made a small slit in the Belkin case for the end of the vent clips to go through. It is very stable and looks good. Check it out!

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
What is the point of mounting it in the car though? And I can't imagine the AC or Heat blowing all over the ipad would be good for it. I'm sure it would cause condensation inside the case. Just my thoughts though.

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Well the point would be to be able to use it without having to hold it while you drive (GPS, Ipod, etc) now you have an interesting point about condensation on the device, but I would imagine the Belkin case would take most of the condensation, but i have used a vent clip for my iPhone for years with no case and there has never been an issue. i doubt i will have a problem here either, but if there is an issue, I can just close the vents behind and redirect to the vent on the dash and to the sides...

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
Well the point would be to be able to use it without having to hold it while you drive (GPS, Ipod, etc)

Stupid. Just plain stupid. This is why I write so many traffic tickets because these accidents can kill people and also raise insurance rates. We've had 4 kids die in the last 2 weeks from texting and not paying attention.

Put the iPad down because its not going to do a damn thing for you when youre dead.

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I understand what you are saying...and that is my whole point... Dont you use GPS in your car and iPod? I am not using it to play games or Text...I am using it for navigation...it is out of my hands...that was an example....chill out

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
man..tough crowd tonight... I just don't see how this is any different than an integrated nav system. that tons of cars have that roll off the showroom floor... I understand that some dufus that wants to watch movies or chat on it could cause major issues, I just want to use it to play music and navigation...sheesh

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
It's going to be hard to ignore that email that pops in while you're on the road. Just be safe, I do my job because I want people to be safe and i'd hate for an ipad to be wasted... i mean i'd hate for you to get hurt. :)

However since you asked, no I do not use GPS nor the iPod in the car. :)

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I respect your opinion.... I can assure you, I won't be tempted to check email while driving.... Too afraid Oprah will haunt me in my sleep :). In all seriousness I will be very responsible... Promise... No emai/chat/games... Don't do it with the phone and won't with the iPad

bigbang

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Awsome! Could you post pix of the vent clips and how you connected it to the vent and the back of the Ipad case pls? I'm very interested and will seriously think about doing it for GPS usage. It would be handy if this mounting method is portable such that it can be used in rented cars while traveling. I've seen some mounts that cost couple of hundreds bucks that don't look as good as yours. Big thank you for posting.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
That is pretty funking awesome. I would appreciate any and all tips, pics, and part info you would be willing to post.

I think some poor soul could very easily use this unsafely. I also think some poor soul could easily crash while eating, using the radio, smacking the kids, or just talking to a passenger.

It is about the individual. That said, I would not be surprised if the not-so-"poor" souls are rare.

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I have added a few more pics to the album on the first page... It's not pretty what happens to the case, but it looks good mounted. I will say that you have be careful mounting and dismounting the iPad. You can break the clips or your vent blades if you put too much force in it. Just have to be careful and slow, but this is a good cheap option until a good mounting option comes along.

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Stupid. Just plain stupid. This is why I write so many traffic tickets because these accidents can kill people and also raise insurance rates. We've had 4 kids die in the last 2 weeks from texting and not paying attention.

Put the iPad down because its not going to do a damn thing for you when youre dead.

Yet every police cruiser I see has a laptop facing the driver... And they don't have touchscreen so they must use the keyboard.

Hmmmm

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yet every police cruiser I see has a laptop facing the driver... And they don't have touchscreen so they must use the keyboard.

Hmmmm

Good point..

However two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean you should do it too. It's dangerous regardless and causes a lot of deaths and accidents.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Good point..

However two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean you should do it too. It's dangerous regardless and causes a lot of deaths and accidents.

I think the point is more along the lines that it must not be that such displays are inherently dangerous so much as they can be too distracting to those that allow themselves to be so distracted.

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the point is more along the lines that it must not be that such displays are inherently dangerous so much as they can be too distracting to those that allow themselves to be so distracted.

Prius', Lexus, an many other cars have such displays installed by design, from manufacturer.

On some cases these displays replace the ones that are more mechanical and considered "less dangerous to use". Such as radio and climate controls.

I recognize that those are crash-tested and all. However, I had a hard time getting used to. Yet once I did it was just another set of buttons.

The car manufacturers are committing another wrong?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Prius', Lexus, an many other cars have such displays installed by design, from manufacturer.

On some cases these displays replace the ones that are more mechanical and considered "less dangerous to use". Such as radio and climate controls.

I recognize that those are crash-tested and all. However, I had a hard time getting used to. Yet once I did it was just another set of buttons.

The car manufacturers are committing another wrong?

I think it is just hard for folks not to draw shallow conclusions when they see someone driving poorly, while holding a mobile phone. They could be JUST as horrible of a driver without the phone, but that doesn't matter to the observer at the time.

And, of course, it could be that these things really are that distracting, but I still don't feel that we ought to legislate people into being good drivers...correction, I don't think that we CAN.

There will always be SOMETHING that could distract drivers, but again, I don't see cigarettes being banned...and we KNOW that those do direct harm, not just indirect.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice