I'm curious why Apple has never adopted an LED notification feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
As we know, the likes of BlackBerry and Samsung have LED notifications.

I'm curious why Apple haven't never adopted this feature. I know you all here don't have an exact answer. But, any ideas why Apple have never adopted this, or will they in the future, do you think?

PS: MOD's, feel free to move to the appropriate place. I'm thinking the question is on overall Apple iPhones, not just iPhone 6 Plus...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I suggest searching the forum for the last iteration of this discussion... Nothing has changed. Other than the watch releasing, making an LED for notifications even more worthless on an iPhone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This has been discussed in length about a year ago and is becoming less of an issue as of late. For those that can't miss a notification tend to purchase a watch

You can turn on LED flash in the accessibility section if hearing is an issue

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
As we know, the likes of BlackBerry and Samsung have LED notifications.

I'm curious why Apple haven't never adopted this feature. I know you all here don't have an exact answer. But, any ideas why Apple have never adopted this, or will they in the future, do you think?

PS: MOD's, feel free to move to the appropriate place. I'm thinking the question is on overall Apple iPhones, not just iPhone 6 Plus...

This subject is no longer worthy of a true facepalm. Instead, I offer you the implied facepalm.

implied-facepalm.jpg

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
When I ran both an Android and an iPhone together, I missed the notification LED on my iPhone.

Saying that though, in a dark room, whilst trying to get to sleep, a notification LED is an annoying thing, so I had to install apps that would disable it at those times, much like the "do not disturb' feature now built into iPhones.

However, now I run just one iPhone for work and business, I don't miss the LED notification feature one iota.

It was never a deal breaker for me anyway and whilst it was useful for some things, it was unwelcome for others and Android seemed to be less customisable (yes, I said it) for certain apps and notifications.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I used to like it when the light changed from red to green and I knew it was charged. But don't need that now because my iPhone is always in my hand. I know when it's charged.

iphone5s

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes in one breath, I'm laughing and crying at some of the replies I see on iMore and the likes...

Having used other platforms in my old professional life, I miss the notification light. To have the ability to toggle on or off would be nice. To suggest that all someone needs to do is buy the AW sounds a tad condescending to the OP.

Just as an aside, Android devices that I've used never had a true bright notification light as BlackBerry have. Android notifiers always seemed sub par.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Having used other platforms in my old professional life, I miss the notification light. To have the ability to toggle on or off would be nice. To suggest that all someone needs to do is buy the AW sounds a tad condescending to the OP.

As is suggesting that Apple should add the blinky LED to a product that has survived since 2007 without it. Many of us have come from blackberry devices where we had blinky, and magically, we've also have survived without it.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Between 2007, and roughly 2012'ish, I wouldn't be caught dead without my smartphone on me (a BlackBerry).
But, now, I often walk away from mine. Hence, it would be nice to walk into a room and see a notification light. And, without having to pick up the device to see that I have messages, etc.

Then again, this is simply my way of thinking, and I understand that this isn't for everyone. I suppose, pressing the home button once, when I walked into a room, wouldn't exactly kill me...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I would have hated it if there was an LED notification feature on iDevices.. In my days of using Windows mobile phones, the first thing I did was disable it.

It's distracting and annoying at the same time.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Just as an aside, Android devices that I've used never had a true bright notification light as BlackBerry have. Android notifiers always seemed sub par.

My old RAZR Maxx HD could light up a room with its huge LED, lol. I loved it. I miss it. Green for email. Blue for real time messages or missed phone calls. Red for work or critical. I always knew at a glance what was up without touching the phone. And it muted itself at night so I could sleep.

But yes, it's been argued here before. It's not really part of the Apple design paradigm (until it is). The iPhone isn't centered around communications and notifications like the BlackBerry was.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I will admit, I actually have notifications off, for all social media stuff. I only really keep email notifications on, and specific notifications from the missus.

To add to my desire of an LED, it was\is more about having a specific colour LED notification, for when I receive messages from her. To be honest, all other notifications can simply wait
smile.png

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I used the notification light when I was on android but it wasn't something that I had to have, it was cool but not necessary. I can do with it without

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iphone5s

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
My old RAZR Maxx HD could light up a room with its huge LED, lol. I loved it. I miss it. Green for email. Blue for real time messages or missed phone calls. Red for work or critical. I always knew at a glance what was up without touching the phone. And it muted itself at night so I could sleep.

But yes, it's been argued here before. It's not really part of the Apple design paradigm (until it is). The iPhone isn't centered around communications and notifications like the BlackBerry was.

Very true, I understand. There seems to be some hostility around here on the topic. Not sure why but so it goes I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2