12" MacBook FYI for IT pros.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite sure my MacBook will be a keeper. It was hard to get some compatibility questions answered in pre-sales mode. Maybe this will help others.

It's doing fine running a Windows virtual machine - something I need for things like VMware fat client and some other tools I use as an enterprise IT admin.

My Trendnet USB to serial adapter that's a known good model for those of us who still do 9600, 8, n, 1 works with Apple's 3 port dongle and is same COM3 in a VM as it is with my Retina 15.

Display and scaling works very well for the IT admin world of multiple desktops, RDP windows, and running a virtual machine.

I considered a Surface but the format is much nicer for in your lap, and it's less to carry.

The honeymoon's not over but so far this is looking like the ultimate purchase for a sys admin type or a profession where you're on the move a lot and need a lot of computing capability.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I really like the new rMB -- not for everyone but I think for most uses it's quite capable :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!