Macbook Air 13 vs Macbook Pro 13 (Screen & Force Touch), which should I get?

Brison Harvey

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Macbook Air 13 vs Macbook Pro 13 (Screen & Force Touch)

I've really battled back and forth over which one to get. I want a laptop that is ready to go for many years...

I realize that the MacBook Pro is more future proof but is it really worth the extra money. For those that have the new Pro with Retina, do you find the Force Touch and Retina screen worth the extra $300? Does it improve the user experience that much more?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Macbook Air 13 vs Macbook Pro 13 (Screen & Force Touch)

Listen, don't get caught up in all of the latest and greatest hoopla. Focus, instead, on what you need for the price you're willing to pay. Any MacBooks currently in the Apple Store and in stores like Best Buy will provide you with many years of use. I'm still using a MacBook that I bought in 2009 running the latest OS X Yosemite version. Having said that, the retina display and force touch are excellent additions, but they aren't necessary. I would easily choose RAM and SSD over Retina and ForceTouch. Anyway, I hope others respond soon. Take care.

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I would have to agree a lot with what D said. Don't fall for the new shiny, and focus on what your use case is. No one else can tell you what your use case is.
That said, RAM and storage tend to cause pain for people long before Processor (again, as long as you got the processor that fit your use case to begin with; you can't get a MacBook with a Core M, then complain in 6 months you can't run World of Warcraft at max settings and Native resolution).
Retina screens are hard to ignore, and once you use one, you are pretty much ruined for any low res screen, i.e., MacBook Air, etc. They are just that good looking.
Force touch is a fun new tech thing to be sure, but honestly for me, I never think about it. I have a 13 rMBP 2015, and I think I have used it twice... I personally just have not seen the killer function for it that makes me want to try to use it all the time, and if you are not using the force click, well, then its just a thin track pad that you think is moving when you click it, but isn't, aka, 99% its just the Track Pad.

For me, if the 2 choices were the base 13in MBA and the base 13in rMBP, it would be the rMBP all the way. 8GB of RAM rather than 4, much more powerful CPU, and the Retina screen are more than worth the $300 price difference, esp with my use case.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I'm debating between rMBP and new MacBook. The Air is out for me because I think the retina display is a must have. That's just for me though. I never go with stock configs. I always bump at least the RAM.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR