My personal review after 2 days with the new MacBook.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to give a review of the 2015 MacBook w/retina display and 256 GB ssd version, from my perspective. I bought this laptop from best buy. I walked in and there was a little yellow sticker on the price/info tag for the MacBook. It said, open box item $1066. I rubbed my eyes and read that again. I decided to buy it right there. I wasn't sure if this was the laptop I wanted for me but at this price my mind was made up.
This is one amazing laptop. I don't really do video or photo editing or any gaming (that is what my ps4 is for). I check mail, browse the Internet, back up my iPhone, use Evernote, and watch movies and tv shows from kodi on my Apple TV. This laptop does all of this very good. I was at discount tire getting my tires rotated today and had my MacBook with me. Was watching terminator on iTunes, a YouTube video, a world star hip hop video and checking my email, all while connected to my iPhone hotspot. And this thing didn't even blink. No stuttering nothing, just buttery smooth goodness. It got a little warm underneath. but not hot enough to make me move my hand while touching it.
My grandma is looking for a new laptop and was looking at this one. I think I am going to have her buy me the 512 gb version and give her this one. I like it so much I will pay full price for the upgraded version. I think it is worth it so far.
I have only had it a couple days so I am sure I will find some hiccups but not yet. This MacBook is small and light. It looks great and I really like the keyboard. The sound on it is very good too. It has good volume and the sound is rich and full for something so small. I do NOT like the weak 480p webcam. It is very grainy and a huge disappointment. Fortunately I have my iPhone 6+ for this purpose, so it is not a deal breaker for me. The battery is very solid, even under heavy use.
I am very seriously thinking of going with the 512gb, with faster processor, version. I don't have a lot of exp with macs in general. I have had a lot of of PC laptops, the most recent was a very disappointing $1500 hp. My wife and I have a switched ecosystems to apple and haven't looked back. She loves her MacBook Pro with ssd and her ip6, and I love my ip6+ and my newly acquired MacBook with retina display.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Granny is going to get the 256 GB for $233 less than full price. I will be paying full price for the upgraded version. Just have granny pay for it and give her the difference. She gets the deal. Come on man.... Taking care of granny😃

princessiphone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Granny is going to get the 256 GB for $233 less than full price. I will be paying full price for the upgraded version. Just have granny pay for it and give her the difference. She gets the deal. Come on man.... Taking care of granny😃

You said "have her buy me the..." my bad "man".

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Great review, I also have the Macbook and love mine so far... the downsides didn't put me off getting one, my first Mac so can't comment against other Apple range.. but I'm happy so money well spent.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes. One usb-c. It is annoying right now. As soon as I buy myself a multi adapter with HDMI it will be alright. Even though I just need the USB adapter while being able to charge at the same time.

sparkeater79

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have decided to keep my 256gb macbook retina and not go with the upgraded 512gb version. it was an easy choice after speaking with my grandma. She is not ready to upgrade from her old laptop yet so i got myself a great deal instead. it seams the best thing for me to do is wait until next year and see what the new macbook has to offer. Maybe the processor upgrade will tempt me to sell this one for what i paid and go that route.
After a few more days i have decided i love this laptop even more. I can do whatever i need to do on it and it is very smooth and fast. It does have 1.5gb video graphics so i can kick some booty on Starcraft 2 just fine. The battery life is double maybe triple what my $1599 core i7 hp touchscreen laptop was. In direct comparison with the i7 core intel hp spectre xt touchsmart(with 32 gb ssd cache) I had before, This thing is buttery smooth. I can watch video with ZERO stutters and skips. I can use it for 8 hrs without being plugged in, and not have to adjust brightness and energy saving settings.
I can't say it enough, this thing is COMPLETELY SILENT. I mean, I can run as many windows as i can fit on the screen while downloading a 2gb file and not be plugged in, and use 10-15% power in an hour of doing so. not a fan sound to speak of. It does get a little hot underneath, but not hot enough to make me think twice about it. I will be purchasing applecare plus before long, just in case. I would love to get myself a macbook pro retina, but i haven't done anything on my new macbook that it can't do very well. and it is so light and, well, sexy.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I was logged in under an old account. the post above from sparkeater79 is from me, didn't realize I was logged in the under old name. Sorry for the confusion.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad that you are enjoying your apple computer. I once felt like you do, and I still feel the same today though my macbook is pretty old by now, it still handle all my computing needs. And yes, it's really a beautiful outstanding machine. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have decided to keep my 256gb macbook retina and not go with the upgraded 512gb version. it was an easy choice after speaking with my grandma. She is not ready to upgrade from her old laptop yet so i got myself a great deal instead. it seams the best thing for me to do is wait until next year and see what the new macbook has to offer. Maybe the processor upgrade will tempt me to sell this one for what i paid and go that route.
After a few more days i have decided i love this laptop even more. I can do whatever i need to do on it and it is very smooth and fast. It does have 1.5gb video graphics so i can kick some booty on Starcraft 2 just fine. The battery life is double maybe triple what my $1599 core i7 hp touchscreen laptop was. In direct comparison with the i7 core intel hp spectre xt touchsmart(with 32 gb ssd cache) I had before, This thing is buttery smooth. I can watch video with ZERO stutters and skips. I can use it for 8 hrs without being plugged in, and not have to adjust brightness and energy saving settings.
I can't say it enough, this thing is COMPLETELY SILENT. I mean, I can run as many windows as i can fit on the screen while downloading a 2gb file and not be plugged in, and use 10-15% power in an hour of doing so. not a fan sound to speak of. It does get a little hot underneath, but not hot enough to make me think twice about it. I will be purchasing applecare plus before long, just in case. I would love to get myself a macbook pro retina, but i haven't done anything on my new macbook that it can't do very well. and it is so light and, well, sexy.

Trust me. Buy AppleCare before it's too late. I don't bother with iPhones anymore, but for a machine that you're gonna have for a while it's better to be safe than sorry.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
OWC is selling a docking hub that eliminates all my complaints about ports in a single swoop. I find the gold finish on the new Macbook to be glorious. I want to keep packing the Pro for now because I occasionally need to run something a little more sophisticated than iWorks but I'm really excited for Apple to continue refreshing this laptop.

Or bring that gold body to the Pros!

Robotb52

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
A decent laptop and you got a bargain. Currently the New MacBook is $1,234 on Amazon...also it's better to see more pics in your thread.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I am not exactly sure what that means. I need to show more pictures? Of what, my review? How do I put that in pictures?

bd1212

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
This was my exact reaction when I first used the MacBook. That was three months ago... After that I vowed I'd be picking up the top of the line second gen MacBook when it was released. Should only be a few more weeks, but I can't wait!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR